Romney Goes Bold: Pro-Life Catholic Paul Ryan Chosen as Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Comments

I just returned from the Romney/Ryan campaign event in Norfolk, Virginia. The crowd was massive, enthusiastic and hopeful. I don't know what I expected - but what I experienced far exceeded those expectations. Mitt Romney's bold choice of Paul Ryan as his running mate ensures that an exchange of correspondence between the Cardinal of New York and the Republican Vice Presidential nominee will now become a part of framing the issues in ... Continue Reading

1. JoAnn

buster: You're welcome. Naivety is very dangerous at this point in history. Make no mistake about it, we have been blessed to be living, at this time, for a purpose. We are the generation that can change the world. Are we going to choose God or Satan. This is not a battle between "red vs. blue" anymore. We need to rid ourselves of the party biases and band together to fight the evil that has been rapidly growing. Worse yet, the "evil one" is taking over our churches. This was prophesied in the Bible. Satan is hard at work because he knows his time is short. This is not the time to hide behind the "I didn't know" excuse. Buster, you, myself and several others on this board have been trying to shed light on what this administration is doing. Our Holy Father himself has called this administration DEMONIC, but some Catholics will not listen to him. Remember folks, our Holy Father is "infallible." The Holy Spirit speaks through him. Not listening to our Holy Father means that you are not listening to Jesus. Jesus said "Why call me Lord, if you are not going to do as I say." He also said: "My sheep know my voice." Jesus's voice IS our Holy Father. If Obama supporters would stop calling us nuts or racists or any other derogatory term they can think of, and just research one thing that we are saying with an open mind, they will know that we are telling the truth. This administration is taking this country down the road to 1930's communist Europe. Obama is downsizing our country with his wealth redistribution so that, in the end, we will only be one more country at the table of the elites that will rule over us. We, who know the truth, must pray to our Blessed Mother (she is the patroness of the Americas) and ask for her help to open the eyes of everyone who will not accept the truth. God bless.

2. Rob

JoAnn, I have spent the last 8 1/2 years working for one of the nation's largest healthcare providers to the elderly in the nation. When it comes to the elder population, there is no market without the government. Our for-profit insurance model can't support caring for this segment of the population that will incur huge costs. Our entire medical system has been built around a model that enjoys the profits they do because the government cares for the sickest and most expensive of our population. Ryan/Romney plan makes huge assumptions about costs and relies on infrastructure that isn't even in place. Their savings in medicare comes from a shifting of expenses from the government to the consumer. They believe that increased competition will drive prices down, but that doesn't happen today and we've only seen double digit increases in our healthcare premiums year after year. As for bureacrats making decisions regarding healthcare, they do every day. All of the care you receive is controlled closely by CMS, and let's not forget that in large part the provision of care is also controlled by unelected insurance company officials as well. To be worried about this provision is to basically pretend this isn't already happening.

The problem with both of these plans is the fact that they both fail to address the problems in our system. Why are costs so out of control? Why are their so few doctors? Why is health delivery in this country so fragmented? Is a for profit healthcare system the best way to go? Do we truly have a for-profit system anyway given how pervasive government involvement is today? If healthcare for today's seniors is so important, don't future seniors have the right to the same level of the care? Are seniors the only segment of the population that we should subsidize?

Lastly, there is a critical difference in the money Obama is supposedly pulling from Medicare. While payments are being reduced to providers, it is pulled out to finance healthcare for others (healthcare for healthcare). Romney/Ryan cuts merely to improve a balance sheet. There is no increase in care for anyone under their plan. As our company leaders evaluate the plans, we are much more concerned about Romney/Ryan as we are the ACA.

3. JoAnn

Rob: LOL - I figured it was a typo or my eyesight is getting worse. At my age, it's probably my eyesight. A lot of speculation in your comments. It's true, we don't know for sure what the costs will be. I guess you have to ask yourself would you rather take a chance on the reforms to save it for future generations and have more control of your own medical care, orrr, do you want to depend on bureaucrats (not doctors) in Washington deciding whether or not you are going to get the care that you need with "Obamatax" because Medicare will be dismantled and incorporated into the ACA. Medical care will be rationed for everyone and they will pick and choose who will get the care, there won't be enough doctors to take care of the people because there will be 30 million more people to take care of and the cost will be higher because there will be fewer doctors. Obama says his plan will be better and cheaper and I know that not to be true already because of the $700 billion dollars taken out of Medicare to finance Obamatax, my benefits have gone down and my premium has gone up. Personally, if R & R win, I am very seriously thinking about changing to their plan myself. "IF" I'm not too old. When it comes to healthcare, not only seniors, but everyone will vote their own self-interest. I have a daughter that is going to be 50 in October and another daughter that will be 48 in September. So, we are all concerned. But when you look at the choices, somehow the ACA isn't attractive at all. God bless.

4. Buster

JoAnn,
    thanks for the note. As time has marched on I thought I there was no place for people who saw the world as I saw it. I have noticed that history is a better predictor of the future than "educator's" in their Ivory towers. Your vision and words of wisdom renews my hope and faith that we will survive the evil that is coming. I have been informing my still young children of this "road" we are on, and your words give me hope that my family and I are not alone in this struggle.Please be prepared and God Bless......God Bless you too Debbie..

5. Rob

Good catch JoAnn...typo....25 years actually. First job at 14 and being a tax guy I still have the return I filed that year! LOL. But 25 or 30....makes not difference. It's a long time and a lot of money!

JoAnn, here is what I can't figure out. Romney/Ryan say that all people can choose to stay in traditional medicare. So the only people that will not choose traditional medicare will be those who wish to put themselves at the mercy of the private insurance market. Once the ACA is repealed, so too goes the requirement to spend 95% of insurance premiums on healthcare as well as the pre-exisiting conditions requirement. The most expensive from a healthcare perspective will be subject to ever increasing premiums and a government voucher, that unless it's indexed for inflation, will be less valuable as the years go by as neither plan bends the cost curve. Insurance companies are not going to be falling all over themselves to insure the elderly unless it's done so with lot's of government subsidies, as is the case today.

So again, if the plan is too good to be true, why have a cut off? The only reason their is a cut off is because services will be cut for those under 55. It's the only way that they can save money. Otherwise it just makes no sense. People aren't asking for control, they are asking for their medicare coverage to be left unchanged. Protecting all those over 55 is proof positive of that, otherwise they would say it would be effective immediately for all the moment they get the bill passed. To say that seniors currently receiving "have paid into the system for a long time" suggest that current seniors know the Ryan/Romney plan will cut services or increase costs. They are basically betting on the fact that when it comes to healthcare, seniors will always vote their self-interest. And in this case, being held harmless bascially pits them against those younger who will be forced to pay for it. I would support the Romney/Ryan plan 100% if my medicare and related taxes were cut by the degree of services I will not get. That is not going to happen. It can't. Baby boomers are too expensive.

6. JoAnn

Rob: Reading over the comments here, I happened to notice that you said you have been paying into the system for 30 yrs. & don't want to lose what you have put into it. First of all, you will not lose anything, you have a better opportunity to control YOUR money. Second of all, I thought I remembered you saying that you were 39 yrs. old. How can you be paying into the system for 30 yrs. since you are only 39 yrs. old. Was that a typo on your part? God bless.

7. JoAnn

buster: Thank you, my friend. I'm just an old lady that has lived through a lot of history. If history repeats itself (and we know it does) this administration is exactly like Europe in the 30's. I pray that people will wake up and see that if Obama gets back in, we will be on "The Road to Serfdom." Actually, we already are with all the damage this administration has done to the poor and the middle class. He is demoting the middle class to the poor status. When he gets through, the only people left will be the elite government and the poor. Our friend Debbie will find herself in the poor class if she doesn't prepare for the coming atrocities. God bless.

8. buster

debbie,
    it is clear your wonderful heart is in the right place but Joann and I have clearly stated facts not wishfull hopes and blind platitudes. I love you passion but I am afraid your compassion has clouded a direct view of history. Joann is not 100% right, she is 150% right. This world needs people of your devotion but with accurate facts and figures. Only when people of Faith open their eyes and realize that the leftist propoganda that has been spread around by the media for 80 years is really a form of religous bigiotry and that the "Evil One" is really in control of their agenda. Like I said before, I can not judge a person intentions only actions. You seem to be able to judge Romney's intentions on why he gave so much to chairy. Again I can only judge actions, not intentions. Free Enterprise in this country have made the poor here in this country richer than many other poeple on this plant. And I am not trying to defend all the republicans. Like I said before , there are many bad republicans. But you have not been able to defend your party's attacks against the poor, middleclass, rich class, and persons of faith.This is understandable, because there is no defense for their attacks. Please lay down any prejudice and intolerance you may have and really just discuss facts. I promise to do the same.......

P.S. Joann, you are a Blessing

9. JoAnn

debbie: Thank you for your post. I encourage you to go to dailycaller.com/2012/08/07 and get the real story on the auto bailout. How Obama took taxpayer money and paid all the union workers their pensions and how the non-union workers lost their jobs and their pensions. The U. S. Treasure Dept, let by Timothy Geithner, was the driving force behind terminating the pensions of 20,000 salaried retirees at the Delphi auto parts mfg. co. That's the company from which GM got all their parts. That sure is helping the poor, huh? I find it fascinating that you defend a party that is the party of the civil war, the party of Jim Crowe, the party of the KKK and the party that filibustered the first civil rights bill presented to the senate. The party that killed JFK, the party that killed Abraham Lincoln, the party that has caused 14% unemployment among our Black citizens, the party that wants to be our god and get everyone on government assistance, thereby, controlling every minute detail of our very existance, which by the way, our Holy Father called DEMONIC. Are you a Catholic or are you a socialist? For someone who says the Democratic party isn't socialist, you sure sound like a socialist. God bless.

10. debbie

Sorry, Buster. Republicans use the word socialism as a scare tactic. Obama bailing out the auto industry was done to prevent us from going into a Depression. If he had not done it millions of jobs would have been lost since the auto industry is tied to so many other industries. In addition pensions would have been lost. How would you feel if you had spent a lifetime working for a company that promised a retirement pension and now see it being threatened? In regards to the free enterprise system, there has to be balance (both government and private sector working together). Crony capitalism is what led to the financial crisis to begin with. And I'm sorry but the job situation with not get much better because of globalization. It has caused companies to move factory work (and even administrative jobs) overseas - all in the name of profits. And you are right, there will always be poor people. Which is precisely why Jesus said we should never forsake them. And by the way, the poor also includes the elderly and disabled! So you will never convince me that the Republicans represent the poor. They are only interested in protecting their wealth. Sure as you mentioned, Romney gave a lot to charity (to his Mormon church) but remember it is also a tax write off so that can't be used to judge ones character. The Bible clearly says wealth should be not be accumulated. "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
    -Matthew 6:24