Marriage and Sexuality: Biology or Theology? Comments

When we begin to understand the mystery of the Sacrament of Marriage and how it is a reflection of the marriage of Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5: 21-33), we can then begin to understand why contraception is intrinsically evil.  In order to be in tune with God and His holy will, a married man and a married woman must have a profound, intimate and personal relationship with God.  This relationship is fostered and deepened through a ... Continue Reading

1. Florence williams

I must commend the write up of the rev fr. some part of africa especially Nigeria are ignorant of the risk of taking pills and the side effects. i am a catholic and i detest abortion which is a grave and mortal sin against humanity aand God. i would love to be a change agent using this medium.

2. Jodi

I am against artifical birth control for more reasons than just Church doctrine. I firmly believe that the use of birth control pills have increased the instances of cancers and other life threatening conditions in women, and medical research backs up my theory.My best friend, a Baptist, with no family history of breast cancer, had to have a radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation just 2 years ago, and yes, she took the pill for years. Yes, I know that women die in childbirth. My great great grandmother died in childbirth, and my 30 year old daughter almost died in childbirth just 5 weeks ago, delivering her 5th child by emergency c-section. Natural family planning has no side effects. I also know that God is good! After a premature birth, and 3 miscarriages and a stillbirth, on the recommendation of my doctor, I did use birth control.but not the pill....and guess what! I had two beautiful children the doctors said I'd never have! God has a plan for us, if we will just listen.

3. Theresa H

I have the same impression: Many pastors, even Bishops are hesitant/afraid to say much about the most heinous crime "man" can commit = killing the most innocent--through abortion (and the ederly through euthanasia). It also includes contraception: the refusal to accept the potential conception of a child during the "marriage act"--when God--the author of life, infuses the "breath of life"--if HE so wills. They are afraid people will walk out, or otherwise protest. It is sad, very sad.... Pope Benedict sees what is coming: "The Church will become very small...." ("Faith and the Future," , pg.116-118, the End of the Bk!)

4. DLL

The government legalizes agenda and impure politically correct policies only to call that justice and some sort of a right without responsibility. They do not care about moral ethical positions. Some body or organization must and that is the Catholic Church. The Church stands for family planning and for stable family home environments. The Church defines sin in society as well as the adverse effects of these sins. US government will never ever enforce any theological position,never the less,it is the duty of the Church do be an active force and voice,for the maintenance of natural family planning and normal marriage and family values. Today this is the alternative to the views that promote abortion,euthanasia,assisted suicide and the horrors of contraceptives,as they are actually detrimental to woman's health both physically and mentally.

5. Judy Claar

Wonderful Article! Catholic marriage and the marriage of Christ and the Church explained with the class and dignity it deserves. Magnificent!

6. Fr. James Farfaglia

Rob:
    I have noticed over many years, that unfortunately, many members of the clergy dissent on Humanae Vitae or that many are afraid to get into to the topic.

7. Rob

Father, I really do believe that these teachings are the key to changing our culture. As part of the ordainded, why do you suppose the Church seems so hesitant to teach them? I really thought as a result of the healthcare law and the HHS mandate that these teachings would become front and center, but save the web and a few parishes here and there, nothing. Nothing in our Archdioces at all.

We hit these topics hard in my men's group. Perhaps this is a job that the laity needs to take up?

8. Jim Cronin

My wife and I had seven children.When Anne was expecting our 7th one of the kids asked :"Mom how many children did you plan on having?"Anne had the answer that
    I know must have pleased God.Anne said " As many as God give me."We were married 47 years and five years ago God called her home.Now she watches over our 7 treasures and I pray that some day we will all meet again in heaven.God Bless

9. Fr. James Farfaglia

I am glad to see that my article generated a lot of interest. I have listed the best marriage resources that I know on my personal website. I hope that these resources will help. Click on Marriage Resources at www.fatherjames.org.

10. cuthbert

I strongly support the church teachings and it's true that all married Catholics are finding it very difficult practising the natural birth control. I must confess that we tried and had failed twice leading to increase in our numbers of children. I discovered it failed because the couple have to be fully involved in the charting of the natural family planning. I'm praying it works this time as I plead for you faithful to join us in praying for a successful natural family planning.
    We pray the church uphold to GOD's wishes for man in her teachings.

Cuthbert