Time to Reboot Melinda Gates Comments

The problem with the "practicing Catholic" Melinda Gates is not in her end of desiring to improve the life for everyone.  This is a goal with which we of the household of faith will not be heard to quibble.  The problem is in the means she has selected to achieve that end.  She wants to teach parents in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that, to "bring every good thing" to their children, they must practice vice. Continue Reading

1. JeanCatherine

Somebody aught to send her over to the PriestsforLife website and also the Pope Paul VI Institute she might change her mind rethink and reboot.

2. Suzette

Well they always promote "Birth Control" and "Abortions" in areas where they consider the populace undesirable.....so if I lived there or was from there i would be pretty insulted ;-)

3. Andrew Greenwell

I had one reader write me a supportive email which stated that my article (which addressed itself at times to Melinda Gates personally) was "violent" for failure to "make a request for change" of Melinda. To be loving, she insists, I must ask for something. So I will.
    I do not excoriate Melinda Gates to excoriate her. It is my personal conviction, arising from my deep-seated experience I wrote about in an earlier article on catholiconline, that the Church's teaching on artificial contraception is utterly true. There is no good to be had without it. It is not only a moral truth, it is a human truth. It is a beautiful truth. To ignore this truth, to slight it, to act against it, is to live a lie. It makes you less of a human. It hinders your ability to understand human sexuality. It ultimately results in an impurity that shades your ability to know God, for only the pure in heart are able to see God. This is why the Church's teaching is so essential, because God, who is hard enough to know, is made harder to know, both individually and socially, if one uses artificial contraception. The use of artificial contraception is a vice, which is to say that if it is habitually used it changes us for the worse. It stains, mars our dignity, God's image in us. It is one of the "structures of sin" of modern society which infects social, political, family, and spousal life.

So what do I ask of Melinda Gates? I ask Melinda to reapprise her current stance, and to stand by her Church and the Church's teachings. I ask her to give the benefit of the doubt to the Church which, she I hope believes, was established by the Lord of Universe who took upon himself the human form to guide us into all truth. That one of those truths, eternal in nature, is that artificial contraception, by dividing the unitive and procreative aspect of the conjugal act, is a vicious assault on the integrity of the nature of the conjugal act. That this act, if undertaken knowingly and intentionally, will sever your relationship with God, can render you unable to know God, and render you blind to God. That this act is always detrimental to the marital and familial relationship, at least in its most sacred and moral aspects. I ask her to look beyond the physical, the material, to the moral, the spiritual, the fully sacred aspect of human sexuality in its integrity. I ask her to consider that to practice artificial contraception is a form of hatred of spouse, a form of contempt of human sexuality, a form of rebellion against Nature and Nature's God. I want her to reconsider the Church's teaching, to work to put aside her inherited prejudices, perhaps those even taught to her by Catholic "authorities" such as errant nuns and priests who dissented from the Church's teaching and taught her in her formative years, and to ask God to help her see a truth that she apparently fails to see. "What is impossible with men is possible with God." (Luke 18:27) I ask her to pray to the God who loves her to remove the scales from her eyes, so that the good that she wants to do she really does do, so that the good she wants to do is done by good means, so that God may be well pleased. I want her to know the moral truth: bonum ex integra causa, malum ex quocumque defectu. I ask Melinda to be less of a prodigal daughter, so that may come home to the fullness of the Catholic truth in all its integrity. She will be the better for it. The Church will be the better for it. The women in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia will be the better for it. The world will be the better for it.

That's what I ask, Melinda. That's what I mean by reboot.

4. Rob

Everything the author states is spot on and I couldn't agree more. But there is another side to this issue that I don't feel is being talked enought about. It's easy to point to the teachings and tell folks, look, these are the rules, follow them or else. I think we need to spend sometime focusing on why so many in our flocks are choosing to do that which is against church teachings. Personally, I'm sick of the whining about corporate media etc. We have God's truth. We don't need advertising on our side. It's the Chruch's job to raise the moral consciouness of it's flock, not the government's or the media's. Is it fair to ask why has the flock strayed so far and what are we doing about it? Why do so many reject the teachings of life and what are we doing about it. Maybe it's simple anwers such as laziness, pride, self-interest...or maybe it's deeper such as bad catechesis or the basic lack of teaching. I'm turning 40 this year and I've never heard a homily on contrarception. The Church's teachings are clear, but unless our shepards lead on this issue and attempt to gather in the straying sheep, I don't see this trend changing. How in the world can we expect to change the greater socieity when we can't even convince our own?

5. Jennifer

Bravo, Andrew, bravo.

6. Eamon Hatley-Smith

Charity demands that we ask for anyone (including those in Sub Saharan Africa) that which we would ask for ourselves. May her initiatives for others be present in her own life. This is the acid test!