Time to Reboot Melinda Gates Comments

The problem with the "practicing Catholic" Melinda Gates is not in her end of desiring to improve the life for everyone.  This is a goal with which we of the household of faith will not be heard to quibble.  The problem is in the means she has selected to achieve that end.  She wants to teach parents in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that, to "bring every good thing" to their children, they must practice vice. Continue Reading

1. Andrew M Greenwell

@gfgrosek: Your are presumably referring to Matt 7:1, "Judge not lest you be judge." Following St. Augustine (Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, ii.18), he says, "I suppose the command here to be no other than that we should always put the best interpretation on such actions as seem doubtful with what mind they were done. But concerning such as cannot be done with good purpose, as adulteries, blasphemies, and the like, He permits us to judge; but of indifferent actions which admit of being done with either good or bad purpose, it is rash to judge, but especially so to condemn." Promoting artificial contraception with $4 billion, rejecting an essential and irreformable moral teaching of the Church, suggesting that it's "ok" to disagree with the Pope and use artificial contraception, and being an occasion of sin to 120 million souls in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia is right up there with "adulteries, blasphemies, and the like."

2. Judy Claar

Patricia Cataldi MD: Thank you for your informative input. (1 Day ago.) You hit the nail on the head. To which many others have left their heads buried in the sand. Your first hand experience tells us a story. The fact that it continues, tells us more of a story than just the U.S. concern......A terrible disservice has been done them: No Respect. No Love. No Liberty. No Peace. No Happiness. What are we doing to the poorest of humanity? Evidently, looking the other way. Not being the Good Samaritan. And like Mary, Our Most Sorrowful Mother, she stands and watches... Oh, I am tired of war. I am tired of people fighting and bickering... I am tired of people Not standing up to be counted, or Not telling the Truth. But, I think, that that is exactly what needs to be done. Prayerful Blessings to All...

3. gfgrosek

Really, whom among us is worthy enough to judge who is a "practicing Catholic" and who is not?

4. Karlvdh

Well, Mrpkguy, all I can reply to that is that if what you've learned from our faith is who to exclude, judge and show the door, I'm not the one whose faith and understanding of scripture are in question.

5. Emma

If I had the financial resources of the Gates and I wanted to help the mothers in any third world country, I would be using my resources to search out aquifers; I'm sure Bill Gates has access to the technology to do so. I would dig wells and teach the people how to grow their own food. I would establish a distribution system to equitably move food and medicines to the people. I would work to eradicate disease causing insects and parasites.. I would teach the mothers trade and give them internet access whereby they could sell their crafts. I would build schools! I would use my gifts to enhance life, not death. "A mother wants good for her children." First and foremost, the best good a mother gives to her children, is LIFE. A mother wants her children to live. How sad that so many here cloak chemical eradication of life as being humanitarian. I don't think tho' that the young Catholics believe any longer what people such as Gates, Pelosi are trying to pass off as coming from the Catholic Church. What they seem to purport is that they were "born Catholic", which is not the same as "being" Catholic. One is seen as a birthrite, the other a conversion. They've yet to have experienced conversion.

6. Robert Burford

Mrs Gates is like so many in the pews. She is a cafeteria Catholic. This discribes 50% of the people who sit next to you at SundayMass. She holds no political office. She is just like many of us who are alive on this earth. We are work in progress. I do not feel it is appropriate for us to sit in judgement.Luckily she does not speak for the Church.

7. Rob

Jennifer, I agree with you in theory, but I honestly do not believe that these catholics are all that faithful, let alone seriously practicing. Most I bet are cultural catholics at best and like so many haven't take any steps to learn church doctrine, let alone be involved in some plot to mold and undermine the church. Maybe that is the indirect effect, but I think sadly we are just seeing the impact of so many years of poor catechesis. It's finally caught up with us. You can't go as many years as our church has not really teaching this stuff and expecting any different result. It's probably going to take a couple of generations to undue this mess. And given the prominence of materialism in our country, I'm not sure we'll ever fully embrace those teachings.

8. Jennifer Hartline

KarlVDH, here's the critical distinction: When people like Melinda Gates, or Nancy Pelosi, or Joe Biden, or Kathleen Sebelius, etc., profess their Catholic faith to the world and then publicly act in direct defiance and opposition to Church doctrine, they are causing serious scandal that MUST be called out. Such folks are more interested in molding the Church to suit their wishes and beliefs than in being transformed by the Truth of Church teaching. They are not friends of the Church, but wolves in sheep's clothing. They give the appearance of being Catholic, but in fact, they promote policies and actions that directly oppose the Church, and in fact, are meant to undermine the Church. We are not obliged to sit quietly as such "Catholics" scandalize the faithful. We can and we should make an accurate judgement about immoral actions and policies that contradict Church teaching, especially when they are put forth by a "Catholic."

9. snooop1e

@KarlVDH - All "practicing" Catholics are sinners but not all sinners are "practicing" Catholics. The writer isn't saying that "practicing" Catholics are not sinners. We all sin. What the writer is pointing out is that one cannot INTENTIONALLY deny/disobey teachings of the church and still call themselves "practicing" unless of course they mean to say they are practicing disobedience. God Bless.

10. mrpkguy

It would appear, and not to judge, but brother KarlVDH seems to lack in his understanding of our Catholic faith. You have to understand where Mr. Greenwell is coming from - he is the one who is well versed in our religion. I would have no reason not to believe that Karl is also behind Biden, Sebellius (spelling?), Pelosi, Coumo, etal. If you are not going to believe in the faith you profess, please don't call yourself - a "practicing" or "faithful" member - and don't let the door hit on your way out. We may miss you - or not, but at least you won't be scandalizing others.