Fr. Johannes Jacobse: The Republic is Finished and the America We Knew is Gone Comments

With the decision that Obamacare will stand as the law of the land means that America - home of the brave, land of the free - is no more. This great country, the one to whom all great refugee movements of the world for over two centuries saw as the light to escape poverty, political bondage, and hopelessness now turns its back on that legacy of freedom for what will, in a very short time, amount a bowl of pottage. The turn to tyranny won't ... Continue Reading

1. Tristan Reynolds

You do understand that the Magna Carta strengthened the power of the Barons of England over the peasantry?
    If this is the 'liberty' you seek to uphold, we can all see where you stand- power of the church over the state, something denied by the Constitution (another document whose name you invoked).
    Your language is florid, grandiose, eloquent, and poorly researched.
    Come back when you've actually read these items.

2. Nicole

Matthew 16:18 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it."
    1Timothy 4:1-5 "Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will renounce the faith by paying attention to deceiful spirits and teachings of demons, throught the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are seared with a hot iron. They forbid marriage and demand abstinence from foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by God's word and by prayer.

God said these things will come. Pray my brothers and sisters and have faith the Lord is in control and He will bring those that are lost back to faith. PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! For He hears our cries. Repent and turn from sin.

3. Steve

Hold on there Father. All is not gloom and doom. Please read the article by George Will, dated June 28th, you may feel differently.
    Certainly, this healthcare bill came to be under false pretenses, it passed be a margin of one in the House of Representatives. And it passed under misrepresentations by President Obama and his administration, especially over the abortion issue. But it did manage to pass.

Do we as Catholics believe everyone should have health insurance? I would answer empathically, YES. But do we have to agree with all that is included in the ACA, known as Obamacare, NO.

This new healthcare law has a long way to go, and most likely many more appearances at our supreme court. The religious liberty issue is already working its way to our highest court.

It may even be repealed if Romney wins this November. As a medical doctor, I find much wrong with the healthcare bill. But I will say it once more, physicians are mainly responsible for the present state of our health care in the USA. So many have abused the system for their own financial gains. But from what I can see, the newer physicians are ready to make changes, and do the right thing for patients, which in turn will filter down to improving our current health system. If patients are truely our primary concern as physicians, all else will correct itself. For too long, I feel physicians have put their interests first.

Pray that in the end, we can all be satisfied and maybe even happy about our health care system. I will say this though, while I cannot support the ACA as it is now written, it is a first step. Our current HHS secretary knows there many parts of the law which need corrected, so please do not let her continue on in the manner she seems headed. It is her job to make corrections, and especially in the religious freedom(or liberty) aspects of the law.

I will vote for Mitt Romney, because I believe he will repeal the current ACA. But I do believe he will come up with a better healthcare law. I know he will not let the important issue of health care die.

4. Amy

Even during the times of great martyrdom you rarely saw diatribes of such "gloom and doom" like this. Father, don't lose hope. God is alive and will not be mocked.

5. Jim

@ted: It is not our wallets we're concerned about and your other judgmental comments are not very Catholic either. Jesus never lobbied the Roman government for anything (healthcare or even civil rights!). He told people (the individual) to give freely and from the heart without it being REQUIRED of them. In fact Jesus the centerpiece of Jesus' life was to do things out of love as opposed to just going through a law / checklist of things of things you HAVE to do. Jesus preached the freedom of love!

America once had a spirit of true freedom where people took care of others through their respective faith. With the assault of religion in recent decades it is no wonder why we have the issues we do. Religion put people in touch with God and God helped people to give from the heart. Instead of making false accusations against your brothers and sisters it would serve us all better if you reintroduced them to the true freedom found only in God. Jesus did not come to condemn, but to free!

6. Debbie

In response to Father James: Father, the quoted bible verse is fantastic. However, the problem with the world today is we do NOT seek the face of God, we do NOT humble ourselves, and we do NOT stop our wicked ways. For those commenting that this article was negative, WAKE UP!!!! We are at a turning point. God has been asking us for years to turn away from sin, yet we elect a president that not only promotes abortion and homosexuality, but insists that a child that survives abortion can still be killed!!!!!!!!!!! Hello, people, what are you thinking? The purpose of this health care bill is NOT to provide care for those without insurance. It is to CONTROL who gets care and to eventually decide who lives and who dies. This bill is a facade for a takeover of all Americans rights. Eventually, this will be done with every part of our lives until we wake up one day and we are ALL slaves to a dictator. All these "changes" are being instituted as if this is helpful, but it is very sinister indeed. Most of us cannot believe evil is this widespread......neither did the German people. Father, you are spot on with this article. I would have gone further insisting that God is tired of waiting, and if Medjugorje is any indication, God will not be patient much longer!!!!

7. Edju

Being just a little maudlin, don't you think Father? Your side lost. Suck it up and quit whining.

8. Josh

I agree with Father Johannes. And as Pope Benedict once said, "the Church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning". It will be rough going and perhaps we'll have to enter into our own exile, our "Babylonian captivity" as it were for a while. We can blame those who lead this country but I don't think they're the true 'enemies'. I think the blame needs to be spread around more justly. What I'm saying is, who put these people into office? They didn't get there by just showing up. We, the people put them there. Perhaps God is showing us (as a country) that this is what happens when we only pay him lip service and then do the opposite in our actions. This is what happens when we live our faith with luke-warmness and duplicity. In other words, this is what happens when a country becomes a culture of spectators and this type doesn't contribute. I don't believe we need to be accepting politics as usual any more. Those we put in office must be vetted and if they don't fit into the criteria of Church teaching should be passed over. I think the Lord is waiting to see what we're going to do, it's up to us....

As many times as I have read this I still wonder when this country will take this seriously:

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

9. Susan

Thank you for confirming much of the same words I wrote to Obama not long after he came into "Office," a letter to which neither he nor anyone in his Administration responded. For a very long time now, for the first time in my life, the thought of preparing to leave this country if we are forced to pay for abortions and go to one of only five countries on this planet in opposition to abortion. I would be leaving my country for the same reason(s) my grandparents left their European homeland at the turn of the century. How very, very sad America "land of the brave," "land of the free" is no longer. But their labors of love are not lost. I will stand strong in my Catholic faith given to me by all my grandparents and my parents and fight, along with Mary, all the saints, angels, cherubim, seraphim the enemies of religious freedom and the right to life, liberty and justice for ALL. We must pray that somehow, Obama and his pro-abortion Administration see the Light, see the unborn entitled to the same life of liberty, freedom, pursuit of happiness.

10. Fr. James Farfaglia

This article is misleading. As a nation, we have been in a deep crisis since 1968. What is happening now are rapid conclusions of events that have already been set in motion. The America as we know it, I would argue, as been gone for a very long time.

In light of yesterday's Supreme Court decision, this article strikes me as rather negative. With all due respect to the author, I would rather inspire people not to give up and to keep moving forward.

I agree that the outcome of the elections in November is crucial. But, the opposing party is not perfect either.

The answer can be found in Ronald Reagan's favorite quote from the Bible. He had it marked in the Bible that was used for his first inaugural. The Bible belonged to his devout mother: "If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."