Fr. Johannes Jacobse: The Republic is Finished and the America We Knew is Gone Comments

With the decision that Obamacare will stand as the law of the land means that America - home of the brave, land of the free - is no more. This great country, the one to whom all great refugee movements of the world for over two centuries saw as the light to escape poverty, political bondage, and hopelessness now turns its back on that legacy of freedom for what will, in a very short time, amount a bowl of pottage. The turn to tyranny won't ... Continue Reading

1. Judy Claar

Rob, Your words of immorality-morality struck a few more thoughts. To think that patriots were more moral back then than today, reminded me of your one post: writing on the guts, the meat, the backbone, the "had whatever it takes" innately built in him, as well as Faith. About WWII' came to mind. Yes, I agreed w/you, there is not much of that left.

Then it seems in progression, came Wholesale Divorce and more Women's Right's. Now, the progression continues...; here we are today. The Present. What shall we do with it. The Parties have changed since then. More silent progression? I am reminded of the" thief in the night". If a thousand years is like one day to God, there could very well be a thief! And look what he has taken since WWII! The other thought was: slaves. Not that it is right. But in Jesus' age, and since the beginning of time immemorial, there have always been slaves of color...that color, being White as well. I think it unfair to say, "people of color", and leave out white. Those who do, need to do some history reading. Jesus said something about slaves but I am at a loss now. The point is, in his world, slaves had been a part of life since the beginning of time. We cannot compare the two. How can we? Prayerful Blessings...

2. Rob

Judy, comparing morality today versus at the founding of our country is an interesting question. My knee jerk reaction would be to say that obviously we were a more moral people at the founding versus now. But when I consider that slavery was the law of the land at the founding of our country, I'm not so sure. Maybe the color of the immorality changed, but to some degree immorality has always been with us on a grand scale. But as it pertains to our politicians, one thing is for certain, money will always be their real constituent. That is why we hear so much about it. Follow the money and you'll learn what they will really do. And given that so few people are giving so much, we should be able to see much more clearly what these men stand for and don't stand for.

3. Judy Claar

Rob, "Not For Sale", is a Big Wish, in my opinion. Let's face it, "Everybody Usually Is", especially if they walk the fine line, which is a huge number. I forget it. And that's what concerns me. Are people more moral today than they were at the birth of our country, given stats? Prayerful Blessings...

4. Rob

Judy, I think at some point we need to understand that the judiciary is a seperate and distinct part of our government that we just can't jerry rig to get the answers we want. I think Justice Robert's has show that point beautifully in the last several decisions that were made. I admire him for what he did as that had to take a lot of guts to buck "his side." We need to be able to look to the Suprement Court as an unbiased reviewer of law. We need at least one area of our government to rise above the petty, non-productive partisianship that our other two branches of government have sunken to. I tink if you take a close look at SCJ decisons over the last 10 to 20 years, they do not always go the way the left and right would like. And honestly, that is how it should be. I'd like to believe that unlike our President, house and senate, the justices are not for sale.

5. Judy Claar

Rob: As I mentioned before, the real reason, the Important reason, to vote Republican, is because they CHOOSE the SCJ. Yes, we have turned the other cheek for the past 40 years for Woe v. Wade, but look what Justices were in and who picked them and how many. Right now, it is so tight, one couldn't squeeze a breath in a tight girdle...not that one wears one anymore? But as you see here, it was Bush's Conservative Choice SCJ that swayed two important laws by one decision. Now, I begin to wonder about the SCJ's, because of our corrupt government. The inhumanities of society to one another. Let alone those who are real Christians and those who are not. And yet, we cannot judge the one's who are not, or who have given up completely, because they are not where we are, or God is saving a later time for that person. Perhaps we have not prayed enough? Yes, I agree with you on the points that we should look to ourselves. We need to take better nightly inventory of what we have "said, thought and did with the precious gift of love and time that was given us. Ask our Lord, "What can I do better, think and say better tomorrow than I did today?" It comes...and you certainly are aware of it! "Sacred Heart Of Jesus, We Place Our Trust In Thee'.

6. Rob

ahem, my only rebuttable would be the fact that abortion is alive and well and has been for 40 years. I think we have to start seeing the motives and direction of the parties for what they are and be honest with ourselves about what they are not. Picking the GOP may be picking the lesser of two evils...for some things. But there is no panacea of Christianity in that party.

7. ahem

"How long do we continue to play the game of the right and the left and instead go 100% for Christ?"

Are you serious? The only party that can stop the Left is the Republican party. It---and it alone---stands with the church on this issue. Right now, that's the only way you can stand up for Christ 100& is to thwart his enemies. There is no alternative party that can stop this madness. He didn't create us to sit around and accept injustice passively. We are intended to participate.

The truth is that the entire Democrat apparatus, every last Democrat politician---or should I say Marxist politician, because that's what they now are---is working to kill the church. The Church is Marxism's greatest competitor and enemy.

If you want to preserve the church in the United States and save every American's First Amendment right to freedom of religion, get yourself off your couch this November and vote for the Republicans! Otherwise, when you lose your freedom and we descend into a totalitarian state, you have no one to thank for it but yourself.

We have one last opportunity in November to stand up for Christ's church. Hold your nose and do the right thing.

8. Charles O'Brian

Theresa H states: “What a "Wow!" Comment: "No one is in dire straights... We live in a secular state....We are free to do whatever we want" ??? We certainly are not "free to do whatever we want!"

She indicates that she is copying this information from my earlier post.

In fact I said: “We live in a secular state. We are free to believe what we want.”

Theresa H. also states: “Moreover, for over 200 years, "we the people" have upheld the Declaration of Independence" with those "self evident truths"

From the Declaration of Independence: “We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, …”

“We the people” is a quote from the US constitution’s Preamble not the Declaration. Please note the use of the word “Creator” instead of “God”, “Jesus” or likewise Christian expression. This is specifically done to profess a general understanding of God that could be accepted by all the members of the Philadelphia Convention, those being Christians, Jews, Deists and by logical extension Muslims.

The Treaty of Tripoli, signed by Pres. John Adams contains this statement: “As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”

I want to emphasize that one of the founders and writers of the Constitution, John Adams, himself a priest-hating Congregationalist, wrote very specifically without concern about “retaliation” coming from the Christian God of the land.

The point I was making before regarding the elimination of religion from the public sphere is the country has been moving in this direction since the Constitution was framed. Yet, the religiousness of the American people remains strong, continuing the high percentages in annual surveys they’ve always had. Rather than joining with the purveyors of doom and gloom, realize the fact that God is busy with real problems, like helping us understanding the higgs boson “God” particle.

9. Rob

I think our biggest challenge as Catholic Christians is to really evaluate what is more powerful, government-politics etc or our witness as Catholic Christians. How long do we continue to play the game of the right and the left and instead go 100% for Christ? We keep looking for a political solution to all of life's ills as if somehow voting in the GOP will solve everything. It'd didn't the last time and won't this time. If we really want to impact the culture then we need to stop hiding behind political causes and start getting our hands dirtly. If we don't like the conditions of the public schools, then perhaps we should be on school boards? Perhaps we should volunteer for big brother/big sisters or serve at our local schools. Maybe we should help single parent families or mentor young families. Maybe we should spend more time volunteering at crisis pregnancy centers or stepping up to mentor more teens. Just maybe we should be taking in foster children etc. But personally I think we Christians in American don't really want to follow the example of the saints who did not hide behind politics but instead reached out to the broken world head on. Politics will never be our savior....that spot is taken. I sure wish we acted like it. Jesus met people where they were. He didn't focus on the government of his time in the hopes they would heal. Het went out and touched the broken and those who society had rejected. Everyone is right to say our society is failing. But it's failing mostly because we are hiding behind politicans and the four walls of our churches instead of trying to encounter Christ in the broken of our society.

10. Judy Claar

GW: I respect your opinion, but remember, it is just that. And it is quite natural for your daughters to "roll' their eyes, because it is my assumption, that they are being reared in our poor public school system, that ranks no longer #1 in the World, but #25 and falling. I am not putting your daughters down. It is not their fault they are being assimilated; and that most parents who cannot SEE both sides of the isle w/o name calling tells me that they too, have already sadly been assimilated. This is what Father was talking about when he spoke of selling one's liberty. I am free. I am Catholic. I am Woman. I am Independent. I listen...and then take it to my Lord in prayer. Of course at my age, I pretty much know what I think. But I still, w/all prayed openness, have a little talk. Oh, am I one of those Catholic Christians? Yes. But I do not speak in tongues or talk out loud to Jesus. I understand your daughters because I have granddaughters the same age and older. Being Truthful, and not prejudice, there is a difference between those who go to Catholic School or those who do not. So much so, it saddens me that all my grandchildren, and all the children I know, cannot go to Catholic school. There is also a difference in character and soul. Enough.
    I am not judging. Just would like to air what my intake was of your letter. "Sacred Heart Of Jesus, Pray For Us."