Atheist Blogger Converts to the Catholic Faith Comments

Her online announcement shocked the secular community. Atheist blogger Leah Libresco has announced on her Patheos blog that she has converted to Christianity. In her latest online post, "This is my last post for the Patheos Atheist Portal," she explained her conversion to Catholicism. Libresco said her conversion came from her struggles with the roots of the moral law. Libresco said she inevitably arrived at an understanding that aligns with a ... Continue Reading

1. Gabriella

Dear JoAnn,

just to add to your amazement at those who keep criticizing the Catholic Church.

As you have heard many times before, it has been said that the Truth hurts. Yes, it is very difficult to live in the Truth - hence the hate, the criticism, etc.
    Have you ever thought about the fact that there is never any opposition to or criticism of Christian sects, Evangelists, Baptists, Protestants, Pentecostals,etc. It is simply because they have twisted the Truth, adapted it to their likes and dislikes,etc. The Catholic Church is the only Faith that follows Jesus Christ to the dot, therefore, it is the true Church. We are the only Church that commemorates the Mass the way Jesus Christ asked us to and we believe in the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist - and that is very hard to believe and accept unless you have received the grace to do so.
    God bless.

2. JoAnn

andrew: Jesus "letting" Simon of Cyrene help him carry His cross, I never thought of that. Thank you. It just goes to show that learning about our Faith is a lifetime journey. God bless.

3. andrew

Now that she has removed the scale in her eye, I pray that she will rightly interpret most of what she sees. As Hemant Mehta puts it, the ego can be a huge burden unless you are willing to let someone share the load. Jesus showed us how, when he let Simon carry his cross to complete the his greater mission, the salvation of mankind.

4. Brit

I think it's kind of funny that people feel the need to be so aggressive on this. I am a recent convert as well and have been belittled by some friends and some members of my family; they feel I'm taking the easy way out by "being content with being ignorant" when in fact I am very involved with science. The truth is you can't rely in something contingent; there has to be something beyond finite. Science is supporting the glory of God. Make peace with that and live according to the Bible, more peace will follow. Like most things you can't read the Bible and accept it for what it "just" is. It's like an atom; you have to dissect it and observe it's effects on the world around it to have any understanding of it, and even still we don't grasp the full complexity of it. Read with understanding and research and there is a lot more to the story.

Congrats Leah!

5. JoAnn

To all the atheist out there, I have one question. What is it about someone believing in God that burns your butt? I'm just curious. I don't see Christians actively setting about to destroy your beliefs. But atheists (not all, some have class) just can't leave Christians alone. They have to destroy everything they can that has to do with anything that is Christian. Where does that hate come from? I thought this was a free country. I thought everyone had a right to believe or say or do anything they want as long as it's legal. Here's a thought that you can ponder. If we Christians believe as we do and find out on the day that we die that our beliefs were for naught, what have we lost? But if someone who doesn't believe in God, and on the day that they die, they find out that God is truly real, what have you lost? Think about it. Whether you believe in Him or not, He still believes in you and still loves you. God bless.

6. APOLIS HUFKIE

THANK GOD FOR A SAVED SOUL. WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. WELCOME HOME LEAH FROM A COLD SOMERSET EAST,EASTRN CAPE, SOUTH AFRICA

7. Steve

" Libresco said her conversion came from her struggles with the roots of the moral law. "

This is to say that her conversion came because she was ignorant of something. This is the intellectual equivalent of saying that she became christian because she didn't understand algebra. Nobody said she need understand 'moral law' or 'evolution' or 'why frogs are typically green' but not understanding something is NOT a valid reason for conversion - although it is the typical reason for people believing in strange religious concepts. I don't understand X, therefore Y.

In short: Very silly indeed.

8. CommonSense

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the folks who believe in the sky daddy who grants wishes via telepathic conversation are also not swift enough to understand that this woman is bilking this for the publicity?

9. mike

Hi Leah:

I'm really happy to have read this article. It takes great courage to make such a public admission.

Earlier today, I had a discussion with a colleague at work on the subject of the Catholic Church's position on homosexual behaviour. She says she is an atheist but like to receive Christmas cards.

God bless.

10. NORMAN C

Congratulations Sister,i two am a new convert to the catholic church.I fought for years trying to rid myself of Jesus.And i found that the more i tried the more he stayed there.What i really hated and still hate now is how some of the evangelical sects try to beat the bible over peoples heads.The Catholic Church never did that to me.I joined by my own free will after a year of research,prayer and study.What really won me over is the doctrine of Christ in the Eucharist.And the Catholics truthfulness about the orgins of the Bible.WELCOME HOME MY SISTER IN CHRIST.