Michael Terheyden on 'Why I am Catholic: An Introduction' Comments

In January of 2012, Pope Benedict XVI said the world is facing a profound crisis of faith, and Christianity is in grave danger and risks oblivion. In the United States, open persecution of the Catholic Church has begun under the Obama administration. So what are we to do? One thing we can do is reflect on why we are Catholic. Continue Reading

1. Susan

I do hope and pray you are grateful that your parents did, indeed, hand on the Catholic faith to you, even though you express that is not why you are Catholic. Perhaps that they handed on the Catholic faith to you plays a deeper role than you might be aware!

2. Leslie

I am a converted Jew. I converted to the Catholic faith because of my love for Our Blessed Virgin Mother. The Catholic faith has given me a clearer understand of my race more so than ever before. My love of Our Lord has turned to nothing short of adoration. I find myself completed not in race alone but further when accepting the Catholic Church as my faith. My wish is for others like myself in whatever race or faith recognize with complete respect of our Church.
    There is , and have always been, open hostility for Our Mother Church, internationally and in our nation. I cannot say that I have approved of it's past politics and abuse. These however have never swayed me from my love for the Lord and Our Blessed Mother. I have gone through the pains of adoption as a mother and child. I could not abort even before conversion because I cherished the life grpwing inside of me.
    I have read two books by a fellow Jewish convert Roy H. Schoeman. One is a thought provoking insight that will take you from Abraham and to this day and age. It goes into a very real and thorough explanation not only from the Old Testament but the Torah and it's influence on Our Lord, Our Mother, and the apostles. I will take you into the truth behind the written scandals of WWII and further. The other is Honey From the Rock. This will give you insight of the conversion of Jews who converted, their struggles with family and friends, and their absolute faith in the Catholic Church.
    I'll end this with one extra thought. As a person who suffers with an incureable disability I will go further to be an example of Our Lady by volunteering to serve those who have problems greater than I.

3. Larry Hayes

Techwreak,

I heartly agree with your comment. In addition, I now have an objective, rational, and compelling answer to a "libreal" friend who asked me why I belong to an "organized religion" i.e. the Catholic Church.

Thank you, Michael, for your stirring words on why the only real truth is Jesus Christ.

4. Fr. Dheeraj Sabu IMS

Obama administration played the role to challenge christian community to rediscover the beauty and explore the treasures of Catholic faith. May God open Obama administration's eyes too, to rediscover Christian faith.

5. Eleyesha

"Pope Benedict XVI made the following two comments when he spoke at a meeting held by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in January 2012: The world is facing a profound crisis of faith, and Christianity is in grave danger and risks oblivion. In the United States, open persecution of the Catholic Church has begun under the Obama administration."

God said this in reference to Christianity risking oblivion as stated above --

"Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means 'rock'), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it."

It always amazes me that the devil is able to commercialize his propaganda through misplaced words. Christians would normally think "Oh my goodness, are we falling apart and going to hell (oblivion)" based upon this message.

The answer is, God is always ahead of the devil in history being written. He'll fix His problems as long as you have faith and contribute to His word. No we don't risk oblivion. The Holy Spirit knows His children well enough to know we will prevail as He said we would.

Bless God forever....

6. Michael Terheyden

In addition to the books I mentioned previously, I would add the following: Catholicism and Fundamentalism, by Karl Keating; The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A Kempis; Introduction to the Devout life, by St. Francis De Sales; The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, by St. Ignatius Loyola; The Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux; Divine Intimacy, by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen. I believe that all of the books I have mentioned are pure gold (even at today's prices). Yet, this list is far from complete.

7. kathy

John you are right, we cannot serve two Gods. We either serve God and keep the commandments, or serve man and deny the truth.

8. Barbara Logan

You have told my story better than I could ever have done. Thank you!

9. Michael Terheyden

Patricia, it is hard to match a person up with the best book for them without knowing where they are on their journey, but here are some great books and authors in addition to the Bible: Catechism of the Catholic Church; Vatican II documents; My Way of Life, published by Confraternity of the Precious blood; Theology and Sanity, by Frank Sheed; The Life of Christ, by Fulton J. Sheen; anything by Blessed John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI, Schott Hahn (especially A Father who Keeps His Promises, The Lambs Supper, and Letter and Spirit), Peter Kreeft, C. S. Lewis (especially Mere Christianity and The Abolition of Man), and Plato; Man's Search for Meaning, by Victor Frankl; and General Philosophy, by David Elton Trueblood.

10. Patricia Miller

The article was great and I admire his persistence in finding the truth. I would love to know what books he read that made a difference because I have a couple of family members I would love to give them to.

P.M.