Catholic Teen Defends Her Right to Attend Mass: Margeaux Graham Chooses Faith Over Honors Comments

While the nation discusses and debates the attacks on religious freedom, a high school junior in Florida has put her academic reputation on the line to stand up for her faith. Margeaux Graham was selected this year to participate in The American Legion Auxiliary's prestigious 9-day leadership event, the "Girls State" program. When Margeaux learned she would not be allowed to attend Sunday mass during the event, she decided to decline the honor. Continue Reading

1. Merle Basco

I am from the Philippines and very much impressed, elated and most especially inspired by your Strong Faith and Conviction. It is rare nowadays to find someone with your courage to stand up for your Faith--especially one so young as you. I not only congratulate you, but I also congratulate your parents for bringing up such a wonderful role model for the 21st C. Catholic Youth.
    I have teenage grandchildren living in the US, as well as here in my home country. Rest assured that I will share your letter so that they too will be inspired to emulate you. Rest assured also of my prayers for you. Bravo!

2. Alison Pelayo

Matthew states in 13:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field."
    Bravo Margeaux! You know exactly where the true treasure lies. Never lose that faith. It will always bring you the sun you need after every rain.

3. Kathy

From the response given by Girls State it sounds like "sacrificing" going to church, in which their definition of church sounds like it's just another thing to do during the week, not the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass where we receive God's body, is their way of trying to justify their putting Girls State before God, which is idolatry and against the 1st commandment.

However there was a survey that said only 25% of Catholics who responded actually attend Mass on Sunday, so if Catholics don't respect the Sabbath, then we can't blame others for not respecting it too.

4. Stacy Trasancos

Mr. LeJuene,

Margeaux already explained that as soon as she knew about the prohibition, she took action.

5. Rob

I think this circumstance could have been avoided if more organizations actually honored Sunday as a day of worship. I know that school functinos, sports etc are always infringing on Sunday. While we have taken advantage of going to mass on Sunday evening, I've never liked it. Makes me feel like I'm getting "it" out of the way.

6. vin

What a great role model she is!! I wish everyone could read this article. It is sorely needed in this very materialistic world where immorality and greed has taken such a stronghold. But, because of my great faith in God, I am sure there are may more "Margeaux" out there and God Bless them all.

7. robert matzinger

She chose her "faith" over a man made award. God Bless her for choosing wisely!

8. Marcel LeJeune

There is more to this story than meets the eye. I have a friend in the American Legion leadership who tells me that the girl and her parents signed a document saying that they understood there would be only be a non-denominational service offered and nothing off-site would be allowed. If she signed it, without raising the issue beforehand, then some of the blame is her own.

Now, the policy itself, and the way it was enforced is terrible. But, we have to see that something else is going on.

9. Ronald E. Schulz, Colonel, USAF Retired

Margeaux you are a follower of Christ and not just a "fan" of Christ. What a beautiful example you have shown to the teenager in America. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you do the same for me.

10. Rebecca Chmelik

I applaud you. My son is a cometitive dancer, has even been on So You Think You Can Dance this season, though not as a featured dancer; he has always made it a point to attend Mass during his competitions. Thanks to the number of Catholic churches in most cities, and the number of Masses to choose from, this has at times been inconvenient but NEVER a problem. His studio director knows where he is when he is late for a Sunday rehearsal, etc. Recall that St. Philomena's parents insisted she marry the pagan emperor Diocletian. though God could have used her to witness to her husband perhaps, she chose the higher road, and in the end converted many who witnessed her heroic stand, and has become one of the most powerful saints we have. sometimes we can sacrifice and be the status quo, but sometimes we can sacrifice for the GREATER good and set the bar higher for the status quo.