Fr Dwight Longenecker Asks, Does Mitt's Mormonism Matter? Comments

Most Americans are unaware of just how peculiar the beliefs of Mormons are. Do they know about Mormonism's exclusivity? It's secretive rituals? It's strange doctrines? Probably not. Even if they do know all the shady and weird stuff about Mormonism, do most Americans care? Should they care? With the possibility that their next president is a Mormon, does it matter? Continue Reading

1. David Carlon

I will vote for the Christian... period. I will not vote for a creature whose religious theology makes him the equal of God.

2. Mark

As a Mormon, I feel you have not understood us at all. First, the "maniac" Mormons like Warren Jeffs are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints any more than Lutherans are Catholics. They are break-off groups. Second, Romney is not a "modernist" Mormon, he is a devout, faithful, mainstream member of my church, what you would call a "moderate." Third, you claim that the so-called "moderate" members of my church believe the following: "Any idea that the whole of Mormonism is supernatural and involved with divine revelation and an interaction between this world and the next is quietly dismissed as out of date and irrelevant." This is simply not true. Moderate Mormons, as you call them, believe that our church is directed by prophets who receive divine revelation. I know of NO faithful, church-attending member of my church who considers revelation and living prophets to be "out of date and irrelevant." These are two of the most fundamental principles of our faith. This was a very misleading article that did not represent my church or Mitt Romney accurately.

3. JoAnn

I just have one thing to say about Mitt. At least he's not a COMMUNIST!!! God bless.

4. Cameron

I'm a Mormon and I've become used to the intolerance, misinformation and even lies from the uninformed or those that actively attack my faith, but to see all of these coming from a Father of the Catholic church is disheartening. Over the last few years, I've become increasingly appreciative of my Catholic friends who in general don't have the "you're going to hell" attitude of many evangelicals - I assume it's because they have suffered intolerance themselves and therefore are slow to condemn that which they don't understand. Also, Catholics are people of service as are Mormons and I believe working in common causes together has helped melt prejudices on both sides. Maybe Fr Longknecker is just actively participating in the political process and throwing mud like so many do. But I have always viewed the office of Father as holy - sorry to see its not always viewed that way by those in office.

5. Marc-Andre Tremblay

As a former mormon, and catholic convert now teaching in a Catholic school, I appreciate the debate, and I found myself fundamentally agreeing with Fr. Longenecker's article. I was grateful he didn't flat out demonize Mitt Romney, and still managed to raise some interesting questions. I agree everything needs to be looked at in relative terms to all the other faiths. I suspect Mitt Romney to have to show one face in public, and another one when participating in temple rituals, because mormon temple rituals require a solemn oath before 'God and all angels' to dedicate one's complete energy, resources, mind, might and strength to 'the building of Zion'. It is commonly referred to as the law of consecration, and though it only pertains to a hypothetical event, faithful LDS are expected to be ready to drop everything at a moment's notice in the perspective of Christ's sudden return. One cannot rise as a bishop, or stake president, or whatever position Romney used to fill in the LDS church without making such commitments.

6. Judgemental much?

Wow, Fr. Longenecker, you are a bit off base on this one. You are way off base on Mormons. There are devout Mormons, much like there are devout Catholics. What really matters is will Mitt Romney fight for the freedom of religion of all Americans. I believe he will. Mormonism is probably the most persecuted religion in America at this point in time. I believe Mitt would fight for your freedoms like he fights for his own. That is where his religion matters.

7. Stephen Morley

How does a Catholic get to question Mormon senerity? Quote, "Are they aware of the scandals, hoaxes and fraud of the Mormon founding fathers?", I could ask the same thing of Catholics. I wish I still could pay off my sins with money! that was a awesome doctrine. Don't cast the first stone father because your faith has many many more examples of scandal, hoaxes, and pure fraud then the mormon faith.

When the Catholic Church and its members start adhereing to some specific doctirne other then the polictical dogma currenlty popular, I will listent to your critisim. I am member of the LDS faith and every day I get ear full about our standards. Our politics "prop 8" and our supposed secrecy. At least we stand in oposition to the ill's of the world. As I see it, a Church that doesn't call out its members, senators and presidents for going against its cannon can't speak ill of any other church. The Catholic church members were instrumental in Obamacare and look how that came back to bit them. Parishes in Washington state refuses to adhere to the request of its bishops about homosexuality. I read daily from Catholic blogs that the Pope doesn't matter anymore. What is the Catholic religion? What does it mean to be Catholic? What is right and wrong for a Catholic? If I get to judge by its political leadership here in US of A, I would say to be Catholic is to be liberal, socialist, and dictatorial. Good thing I don't judge by your Catholic poloticians.

8. SixMom

There could not be anything more ironic than a Catholic priest pointing out absurdities in another's religion.

I have to ask the good Father...how much of your own church history do you know? As odd as Mormonism may seem...Catholics win the absurd, shady history category by a landslide.

Sir, you live in a micro-thin plate glass house.

9. Michael McInnish

What a cynical article. Mitt Romney's religious beliefs are irrelevant. What really matters in this election is the values of the candidate, not his theology. Mitt's values are not the same as Obama's. His vision of what America stands for, liberty, small government and prosperity, are much better than any Democrat, liberal, socialist, progressive vision. Those are the reasons that Romney is a better choice. I'd vote for an atheist if he held those same values.

10. techwreck

Harold Olsen, since most Christian religions teach that it is a civic duty to vote and you will not vote for Mitt Romney, you must be voting for Barack Obama. Would you care to share the reasons why you believe Obama will make a better President than Romney?