The Courage of Bishop Daniel Jenky: Catholics by Conviction! Comments

One of the silverlinings in the ominous cloud threatening the freedom of the Church in America is the extraordinary way the hostility of the new Caesar has mobilized the faithful. Perhaps even more heartening is the way that this growing and open hostility has elicited such courageous leadership from so many of our shepherds. Most recently that kind of courage was demonstrated by Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, Illinois. Continue Reading

1. Judy

Mark: You are correct to a point on the sq. ft. of housing. Some of us just don't have our head right at an early age and are more fascinated w/the world. Others are lucky, and know right from the start. On the other hand, times have changed since the '50's. More people work at home, requiring more space. Health and Social Issues now demand separate rooms for brothers and sisters. There are many reasons. But I understand what you are saying. A lot of us live in houses bigger or larger than is necessary, and herein is where one needs to examine one's conscience. This Grace comes at different times for different people. Blessings...

2. Judy

Rob: I commend you on Discipleship. Many, many, of us are truly lacking. In fact, I liked your analogy. But forgive me if I tend to disagree a bit. You claimed that voting, pro-life, and abstaining from contraception, were Not the real basics. I beg to differ. These issues are PART of being Catholic. HOW do any of these NOT relate to Social Issues? Discipleship? To being a practicing Catholic with Holy Mother Church? Perhaps you see or know something I do not?
    Prayerful Blessings...

3. Judy

Nick: It is about time a Bishop stood up and voiced what so many of us believe and were waiting to hear. I could name more than a handful on this board who applaud him. Not only that, they are waiting for more Bishops to stand up and join their voices with his! No, as of now, our President is not Stalin. But the Good Bishop is right, when he See's, and therefore says, that History is being set up for something awful under the Obama Administration. And yes, Obama is too much like Big Brother. Have you not read your History? What Bishop Jenky says is True. He simply Hopes and Prays that there is not a repeat. And for Now, That means Catholic action. Catholics NOT Supporting Obama. I will not. Prayerful Blessings...

4. JoAnn

Yves: Bonhoeffer is a hero of mine. Everyone should read the book. I heard Paul Harvey many years ago do that commentary. Creepy isn't it? It's exactly what has happened and is still happening. Thanks for your great post. God bless.

5. Chris

The Bishop was merely following #6 of these ten Conmandments:

THE TEN CONMADMENTS TO RESIST THE DEVIL:
    1) Don't resist Satan by pretending he doesn't exist.
    " And it was not enough for them to go astray concerning the knowledge of God, but also, while living in a
    great war of ignorance, they called so many and such great evils peace" Wisdom 14:22
    So don't think I'll pretend he's not there and he'll leave me alone.
    2) Don't resist Satan without God
    "I am the vine; you are the branches, Whoever abides in me, and I in him, bears much fruit. For without
    me, you are able to do nothing." John 15:5
    Don't let your foolish ego think you can fight this battle alone
    3) Don't resist Satan by changing God's rules
    "Are you so foolish that, thought you began with the Spirit, you would now end up with the flesh?"
    Galatians 3:3
    Don't simply change the rules into Satan's alterative lifestyle and then trick yourself into thinking things
    are not really that bad. That's called self-deception.
    4: Don't resist Satan by sinning now hoping to repenting later.
    " But God said to him: Foolish one, this very night they require your soul of you. To whom, then, will
    those things belong, which you have prepared?"Luke 12:20
    Presumption of God's mercy is a sin. The inertia of sinful habits makes it harder to break free. God is
    forgiving and merciful. This is true. However, it is better to repent now because "later" may never happen.
    5 Don't resist Satan by negotiating a deal with him to leave you alone if you leave God alone.
    "For how does it benefit a man, if he gains the whole world, yet truly suffers damage to his soul? Or what
    shall a man give in exchange for his soul" Matthew 16:26
    It is safer for mankind to deserve the hatred of Satan than his peace.
    6 Don't resist Satan by tolerating him.
    "Why do you look upon the agents of iniquity, and remain silent, while the impious is devouring one who is
    more just than himself?" Habakkuk 1:13b
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Truth and love are the two stakes of the cross.
    Fight for Christ's ways against the devils ways.
    7 Don't resist Satan by giving in to him and despairing God's mercy.
    "For it is necessary for you to be patient, so that, by doing the will of God, you may receive the promise.
    So then, we are not sons who are drawn away to perdition, but we are sons of faith toward the securing
    of the soul" Hebrews 10: 36, 39
    Despair in God's mercy is the sin of Judas. Never despair God's mercy. No sin is too great, no time is
    too late. Trust in God on this point.
    8 Resist Satan by following Jesus' and Mary's words: "Not My will be done, but Yours"
    "Father, if you are willing, take this chalice away from me. Yet not My Will, but Yours, be done"
    Luke 22:42
    "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. Let it be done to me according to your word"
    Luke 1:38
    Following these examples of prayer we become Christ-like in humility and obedience. The opposite
    Satan's non service to God thru pride.
    9 Resist Satan by your imitation of Christ on the Cross and forgive your enemies.
    "Then, having been brought to his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, saying, Lord, do not hold this sin
    against them" Stephen in the Acts of the Apostles 7:60
    Forgiveness unties you from the enemy's hate and ties you instead to Christ's love and mercy.
    10: Resist Satan by the power of Christ's faith, truth, righteousness, prayer, fasting and almsgiving and the power of Christ's virtue's of love, humility, obedience, mercy, peace and justice.
    " Concerning the rest, brothers, be strengthened in the Lord by the power of His virtues. Be clothed in
    the amour of God, so that you may be able to stand against the treachery of the devil. For our
    struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities and powers the directors of
    this world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in high places. Because of this, take
    up the armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand the evil day and remain perfect in all
    things. Therefore, stand firm, having been girded about your waist with, and having feet which
    have been shod by preparation of the Gospel of peace. In all things, take up the shield of faith,
    with which you may be able to extinguish all the fiery darts of the most wicked one. And take up
    the helmet of salvation and sword of the Spirit (which is the word of God). Through every kind of
    prayer and supplication, pray at all times in the Spirit." Ephesians 6:10-18

6. michael

When I see a St. John the Baptist like bishop, condemning contraception as objectively mortally sinful for any person, Catholic or not, then I'll be impressed. The Washington Post is behind the bishops in this first for constitutional rights. I wonder if they would be behind them if the bishops preached on the 6th and 9th commandments?

7. Joe

To those who dislike the truth: Hitler killed millions with gas, Stalin killed millions with guns and Obama is fully supporting pro-abortions, killing millions of unborn babies. When he tells the Church, they have one year to fix the problem, he now is telling us, he is now Caesar and get ready to bow to him. Christ was crucifed on the cross not because of what He did but because He was not the king they exppected, a poor excuse to kill someone. Please explain why this President and many like him think it's OK to kill the unborn. Try going to church and praying, our Lord is most forgiving.

8. Theresa H

Goodwater, I fully agree with you....When we look to and expect the government to do what "we, the people" are free to do, we find ourselves more and more beholden to, and regulated by the government! I pray the Bishops wake up and stop looking to the government for financial assistance. But, we, the people, also need to "speak-up" and seek redress from the government for all the money they collect from us to do whatever they want to do with it. We need "limited government" and to this end we must vote for a BIG "change" in Washington come November--else we will have no one to blame but ourselves for what's otherwise coming. (Remember what Obama said to the outgoing President of Russia lately: ""Give me more space, and after I'm re-elected, I'll be able to be more flexible.")

9. vance

nick, thank you for informing us that Bishop Jenky is well known for his political commentary. This makes him a greater hero in my eyes. Counterfeit President Barry Soetoro is every bit of an anti-Christ Marxist as Josef Stalin and every bit of an anti-Christian Darwin/Neitzcheite Socialist as Adolph Hitler. He has demonstrated to you and me that he is every bit capable of being everything Stalin and Hitler was.

10. Yves

I pray to God that the evil secularist forces do not silence this courageous Bishop Jenky. He is on God' side. He is not isolated. Millions of Catholics and Christians who are still listening to Christ (and to Rome) and have not been brain washed by the progressive media are on his side and will pray for him. I left Europe 28 years ago when I realized that freedom and libery were condemed. I left my church in Los Angeles 2 years ago when the priest was quoting Jim Wallis and was promoting social justice and liberation theology! It is about time that the Catholic Church takes side against evil. Everybody should read the life of the Dietriech Bonhoeffer who stood up against National Socialism and progressivism in Nazi Germany and died for his faith. We are facing now the same evil.
    Paul Harvey gave a radio address on April 3, 1965. "If Iwere the Prince of Darkness, I would want to engulf the whole world in darkness. And I would have one-third of the real estate and four-fiths of the population, but I wouldn't be happy until I had the ripest apple on the tree. So I'd set about, however necessary, to take over the United States. I'd subvert the churches first: I'd begin with a campaign of whispers. With the wisdom of a serpent I would whisper to you as I whispered to Eve: "do as you please". To the youth I would whisper "The Bible is a myth". I would convince them that man made God instead of the other way around.....To the ears of the young married I would whisper that work is debasing, that cocktail parties are good for you. And to the old I would teach to pray after me "Our Father , who art in Washington..."
    You can find the entire speech on the internet: it will make you understand why we need thousands of Bishop Jenky to save the Catholic Church, the United States of America and Liberty.