The Courage of Bishop Daniel Jenky: Catholics by Conviction! Comments

One of the silverlinings in the ominous cloud threatening the freedom of the Church in America is the extraordinary way the hostility of the new Caesar has mobilized the faithful. Perhaps even more heartening is the way that this growing and open hostility has elicited such courageous leadership from so many of our shepherds. Most recently that kind of courage was demonstrated by Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, Illinois. Continue Reading

1. Karl Von

"New Caesar?" Seriously?
    We're seriously going to compare a political decision we don't like and can take action against by advertisement, demonstration and VOTING with the countless thousands of our brothers and sisters who wer (and continue to be) TORTURED TO DEATH simply for being believers?
    Sorry, folks. If that's the case, we American Catholics have it way, way too easy. Maybe we need a little REAL hardship affecting our families and personal lives to remind us that Jesus wasn't a politician, we ARE NOT MARTYRS just because we disagree with the President, and we are NOT persecuted in this country. Not really.

2. Carol L.

God Bless our Peoria Bishop----Bishop Daniel Jenky! I will continue to pray for him and our Church.

3. Rob

tech, who is trying to lay a guilt trip? No one is suggesting that you have to earn a right that by virtue of being a child of God you already have. However, do you not think that perhaps our lack of witness played a role in this attack? Do you not think that getting in bed with Caesar, so to speak, doesn't play a role in this? You can't be silent on relevant issues for decades and then be suprised that this attack came up. You can't take the level of money we do from the government and then be suprised they forget you are a religious institution. the articles on this site bemoaning the state of some of our catholic institutions are numerous. It's my prayer that this incident serves to wake up people of faith and our clergy to the real state of affairs and that all parties accept some responsibility in this so we can move foward and ensure this never happens again. Perhaps I am not so much interested in the right to live the teaching, but in actually teaching it and living it. Having a right that is not exercised isn't much of a right and surely doesn't save a soul.

4. Judy

techwrech: You must have misunderstood me. Sorry. On my post to Nick I said, "I support Bishop Jenky". And if you do, as you say you do, and you read his homily, you will read that he is against the Obama Administration. So yes, voting does count. Blessings...

5. Judy

Rob: I respect your involvement w/many ministries over the past ten years. May God Bless You. And I mean that with all sincerity. Heaven knows we need all the help we can get!
    When I was your age, I was also, as I assume most older Catholics on this board were, and some probably still are, though some of us, like myself, now have a sick spouse and/or sick parents to care for, and perhaps a few health problems of our own. But as the Bible says, "This is nothing new under the sun". We have been in your place. We know what it is like. We do not like to repeat the past. And I understand what you are saying. I have been there. It has always been there. To one degree more or less than another.And in this respect you are right: God the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit comes First and Foremost in our lives. Period. When a person has grown-up (I do not know how else to say it, for most of the time, when one sees a priest or psy. on a regular basis, it is to "grow them up, as it were"), they are able to combine both religion and politics. And that is, by way of knowing who they are, what they believe of their religion, and then conveying that belief to politics. That is the only way, that I have learned thus far, that one can be Christ-like in their religious belief. Frankly, from what you say, it sounds as if the friends you speak of are somewhat secularized. What they think counts more than what the Church says. I don't know...maybe you belong to a liberal parish. Just sounds like it. Blessings...

6. walter lubas

FINALLY! FINALLY A TRUE LEADER EMERGES!! i am overwhelmed with joy at the fiery words of bishop jenky. many of us have prayed for someone to stand up to the horrendous assault on our faith by corrupt and evil elements of the government. it is high time all TRUE CATHOLICS come forward and stand our ground. we also must clean our own house. the archdiocese of chicago is an unmitigated disgrace. the appalling weakness and inept leadership of cardinal george is something to be immediately addressed. we must put up with the utter disrespect and insubordination of a one michael pfleger. he is nothing short of an apostate and heretic that uses the Church for his own political agenda. viewing film clips of his "mass" one can see the sacrilege. while saying mass he has dancing girls in short shorts right next to the altar. time and again he has defied authority, refuses to be rotated from St. Sabina, has made death threats against law makers that oppose the leftist agenda, and lastly pfleger is an operative of the obama regime.
    petitions have been sent to the Vatican demanding pflegers removal and excommunication from the Church that have fallen on deaf ears. he continues to defy his superiors. it is like he is the master and cardinal george the dog. his other crimes against the Church are too many to list.
    Catholics must bring back the discipline and reaffirm our doctrines. i strongly suggest that a movement be initiated to remove cardinal george for gross dereliction of duty and replace him with ARCH-BISHOP Jenky. may we all be filled with the inspiration of St. Michael the Archangel.

7. techwreck

Judy & Rob, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to blame the Church or U.S. Catholics for the government's war on religious freedom. Religious freedom is one of our God given rights the is protected by our Constitution, and that freedom extends to "good" and 'bad" Catholics, as well as those of other faiths. The idea that "we are not being good enough Catholics to earn religious freedom" is invalid, and you should know better than to try to lay a guilt trip on those who agree with Bishop Jenky.

8. Rob

Judy, this is based solely on my observations over the past 10 years as I've worked in a lot of diferent capacities in my parish and archdiocese, as such, is my opinion only. I've been blessed to interface with so many different ministries and those who lead them. And I have found almost all to be devout followers of Christ. But it seems that the more "political" a group is, the less the effort is about Christ and more about being against the other guy. And this is not limited to conservative causes. It's almost as if the effort is it's own thing and Christ really isn't part of it. Having no other way to put what I feel into words, it seems as if the effort has digressed to the same manner the pharisees practiced the law. They knew the rules but had no love for their brother. They placed burdens on their backs but did not lift a finger to help them. Instead of trying to save souls, it becomes more about excluding souls as if some people aren't "broken" and others are. There is no mercy in their speech or actions. It sometimes feels as if they zealously embraced one aspect of the law but forgot the part about following Christ. I did not mean to imply that those things are not important in the practice of our faith, but they are not the faith in an of themselves. As the saying goes, God does not love us because we are good (do all the right things according to the law), but because he is good.

9. yves

The Obama administration has declared war on the Catholics and on the Vatican. First they want to impose the contraception mandate in violation of the first amendment, then they place the Vatican on a money laundering list of criminal states (3/9/12) and finaly the bank JP Morgan (Obama's minion) close the Vatican's accounts (3/19/12). Sal Alinski would be proud of Obama: this is pure mafia tactic of intimidation and blackmail. Now he (Obama) just need to unleash the IRS. Hitler, Staline and Mussolini, Chavez, Castro.. woul not disavow such a conspiracy. But we are in the USA and we still have a constitution. This country was build in the name of religious freedom: the principle of "separation of Church and State" was to protect the Churches from the State and not the other way around as the progressists would like you to believe. And all these wolves in sheeps' clothing who are attacking Bishop Jenky, why are they not denouncing the political, racist and antisemitic rethoric spewed by Rev Wright and Farrakhan? We are indeed living very dangerous times. We need to unite under the leadership of pastors like Bishop Jenky who are telling the truth. We all need to speak up courageously to our family, our neighbors, our coworkers.... Some of our priests are contesting the authority of Rome and are sympathetic to Obama (I know it by experience): it is our responsability to stand up and speak up to make our voice heared.
    Each of us should ask our priests if they stand with Bishop Jenky. And if they don't, we, as Catholics, need to start our own spiritual revolution.

10. Rose

This sermon should have been repeated in all Catholic churches this Sunday.