The Courage of Bishop Daniel Jenky: Catholics by Conviction! Comments

One of the silverlinings in the ominous cloud threatening the freedom of the Church in America is the extraordinary way the hostility of the new Caesar has mobilized the faithful. Perhaps even more heartening is the way that this growing and open hostility has elicited such courageous leadership from so many of our shepherds. Most recently that kind of courage was demonstrated by Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, Illinois. Continue Reading

1. SaraPalen

it is good to know there is someone connected to Notre Dame who seems to understand the road to tyrrany. Thank you Bishop Jenky. as von Galen put it, you are the anvil. to be sure the socialists thought he too was much too involved and obsessed with the inner workings of government, as he was complaining about the immorality of which Hitler and the deputies of the socialist party promoted. when the strong-willed bishops attacked the policy of Hitler's enabling act, the Church officials that spoke up against it were chastised all the more. the same is happening under Obama's enabling act. a vigilant watch must be kept for the warning signs of tyranny, and without religious freedom, a tyrant's hand will tear away all our liberties. the clergy in this country are waking up. they can see where this will end if left to forces opposed to religious liberty. Bravo to all those religious who are not blinded, including this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=242VjNuzAgk. you guys rock! you are the anvil.

2. vance

News sources from other sites have revealed that about 68 faculty members of Notre Dame University crafted a group letter of protest over Bishop Jenky's Homily and presented it to our good friend and Obama lover Fr, John Jenkins. These radical leftists demand that Bishop Jenky resign from the college board of Trustees. I would hope that Bishop Jenky will flex his muscles as the Catholic Authority and let his shoe meet the backsides of the Leftists and send them flying out the front door. John Jenkins included.

3. Brian D.

Paul: There is a major difference between the foreign policy that led to the Iraq war(which was not unconstitutional and which I did support) and a President’s attempt to pierce the First Amendment of the Constitution. There can be reasonable disagreement about the justification of the Iraq war. There is no justification for this administration’s attempt to deny Catholics and other of faith their First Amendment rights.

4. Judy

Rob: I both hear you and understand you. When I was your age a priest told me in conversation, how a lot of the churches in Europe, and yes, Rome and Italy, were used more for historical places to visit and/or museums, than Mass. I was aghast! We had a long discussion, and he ended it w/saying, "It doesn't matter that 20% (or whatever the % was) go to Mass or believe. What matters is, that you do". I think that by saying this, he knew I would Grow in Christ. He knew (or hoped) I would bring others to Christ by a simple day to day living example of Christ. If All believers did this, the Church would and will grow. I have had 2 dying members of distant relations, who were deathbed converts. One priest said he had never had the Grace to minister to a soul such as that, going Home to Christ. How Happy Christ was he said! The point being, we never know what we do or say, any of us, that will change a person's life. I was not there at that particular time. But I was in their life off and on. So were a lot of other good people. That is why we are Pilgrim's. Do what you can do. Then, Let go, and Let God. Prayerful Blessings...

5. Rob

Judy, I know that our government has no right to legislate immorality, but sadly the legislation of immorality has always been with us. Fallen people can't help themselves I guess. But I have had this growing sense that while we fight against the government for becoming to evasive in our lives, we seem to have no problems with the government legislating morality. Now I understand why we need them to as they need to undue the harm they have done, but I sometimes get the sense that we are putting more energy into trying to get our government to restore the moral order of our society instead of the church. PPJPII wrote eloquently regarding our duty to change the temporal order, but I wonder if we are forgetting about our basic call to follow Christ? We are called to follow him, to share the good news...to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind and soul and to love our neighbor as ourself. Are we doing that? Oddly what I find missing in the new testament is this obsession with government. I think Christ knew a little about living under persecution given the Roman occupation, but yet the majority of his anger and disappointment was as the "religious" people of the day. He had nothing but mercy for those who were fallen. I sometimes wonder if we as a church have forgotten our primary mission as church and instead are trying to abdicate our responsibility to the government. I do not hear much mercy from people anymore, so much so that I am having trouble differentiating the Christians from the non-Christians.

6. Catholic Mom

Bravo to standing up for all of us as Catholics! To anyone who disagrees, here is my take. I am a mom. I want my children to go to Catholic School so they can pray. I want my children to grow up knowing God, and all that is good in our faith. I want to be able to take them to a Catholic hospital and have my Priest visit us there if need-be. It will be impossible for me to keep my children rooted in faith when they are teenagers if we lay down our faith now to "the establishment". Our church has stood for 2,000 years! I am not about to let media-driven, lying politicians take my right of where I want my children to attend school, go to the doctor, and anything else because if we don't stand up now, our schools, colleges, hospitals, community centers and all will be CLOSED!! No more after school programs for teens on the edge, no more Sacred Heart Hospital. 1 in 6 Americans receive medical care at a Catholic hospital. Where will they go if we don't fight this??

7. Judy

Rob: You gave me a nodding chuckle! Meaning, I can understand how you feel about writing in Jesus. But don't know that I would. I love Mother Angelica. My sister and I were blessed to see her at a rally, w/a procession and heard her speak. This of course was some years ago. But it was great! Anything like that is so inspiring. I know Mother is aware of priests and religious not practicing Our Faith as they should, and that that trickles down to the laity.(Heard her speak of it on one of her shows one time). I know and understand what you say (so Sad), about the laity. That is why we who are Conservative Catholics, continuing the Faith as it was according to the Early Church Fathers and our Holy Father, must keep it going! Did you read the article on Patriarch Krillil in Russia? He speaks of moral decline in Russia as well. He also speaks highly of Pope Benedict, and the closeness of our two churches...he speaks as though the Holy Spirit has breath within him. As hard as things are, as bad as they seem, we must remember that we still have Our Lord on which to rest our weary head. Remember what I wrote about earlier, I think it is still here, somewhere on this board...about religion, and using that religious belief through politics...your vote. True, perhaps we don't have the best choice we would like to choose from, but we can at least try and pick the best one of the two. Keep the Faith...Blessings...

8. John F Naughten

Thank you Bishop Jenky.for reaffirming our Christian belief, and important as well, your facts of history
    As a Notre Dame graduate, I hope Fr. Jenkins doesn't submit to the pressure of the great number of professors at Notre Dame who have just signed a letter to him, to have Bishop Jenky removed as a "Fellow of the University"....this is quite interesting as the former Fr. Jenky was the Superior to Fr. Jenkins in the C.S.C. order...what will we see?

Sean Naughten, ND'61

9. Paul

A reply to Brian D ;"can't you see that this mandate is trying to force the Church to provide things it considers immoral?" Brian D. wrote.
    Mr. D., were you among the silent when our tax money was used for an unprovoked war where the result was over 100,000 dead Iraqi men, women and children?

10. Tom Maddix

Not sure what happened to the Dan Jenky I used to know and appreciate, but somewhere along the way, he seems to have gone off the deep end. I am deeply appalled and embarrassed by his rant. He is a real embarrassment for the Church and the People of God.