Liberal Secularism and Subsidizing Unchastity Comments

The Church has an entire different vision of contraception.  Based upon the natural law and the teachings of the Gospel, the Church insists that the use of artificial contraception, whether as an end in itself or a means as an end, is an intrinsic evil, a moral wrong admitting no exceptions. It is a wrong based upon natural law, which means it morally obliges the entire world no less than does the injunction "Thou shalt not kill." Continue Reading

1. JoAnn

Rob: You are probably right, I don't know. Do you know of any place I can go to hear the entire soundbite?. What I heard did not have that word in it. God bless.

2. marya

The pill that was introduced in the 60's had the unfortunate consequence, besides so many other immoral things the worst of which was abortion as its backup, of setting back any real advancement in regards to understanding to fertility. The i-pad should have an icon on it for every woman of child-bearing age detailing her fertile times which only amount, after all, to 48 hours out of the month if they can be pinpointed. That period should be sacred. It should be diserned. One of the great things about being a Catholic wife and mother for me was knowing exactly when I could and did conceive my children.

3. Stephanie

Kn...

There are better and more effective treatments than the birth control pill, which was classified as a group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organization in 2005. And there are good Catholic doctors who have never prescribed the Pill!

You also have to consider the Church teaches based on intent. It is morally permissible for a woman to take a Pill or get a hysterectomy if it is for a valid medical reason because the intent is not to abort or sterilize. But a woman cannot be on the Pill if she is sexually active because of the abortifacient; there are better alternative means to treatment. For example, instead of forcing a hormonal balance through drugs/pills, why not figure out what the cause of the problem is and treat that?!

4. Brian A Cook

I see that you refused to post both of my comments in spite of my hardest efforts at a respectful tone. I am sorry. I don't know what to tell you. I have actually written letters to the Pope about roadblocks to the New Evangelization. Among other topics, I have written about the apparent association with the Right--with an antidemocratic, reactionary, altar-and-throne mentality--that goes back to the end of the French Revolution and goes on to this very day. I expressed hopes that the Church will examine this apparent association, look at it in the eye, and make efforts to move forward with renewal. I am deathly-afraid that this association will come back to bite Mother Church otherwise and cause an even bigger scandal.

5. Rob

Cathy/JoAnn, not that I care one way or the other about this, but I'm not sure you guys are right on this one. I just listed to the recording...Rush says, "what does that make her (referring to Ms. Fluke) that makes her a slut." If you didn't hear it that way I'm sorry but it's pretty plain. Tech, I think you are right about the state of Catholic institutions. This government action is merely reaping what we have sown by our disobedience. But you ask if the Church is the Church of Cardinal Dolan, taking a stand against the government. I don't mean to split hairs, but the Church is the Church of Jesus Christ. I do agree that we Catholics have sent a terrible, mixed message to our society, but what I fear is that from all of this we are merely going to be looked at as another political special interest. If we succeed in overcoming this mandate, I hope it's just not business as usual. We'll ignore these issues for another 40 years until the government tries something else. The laity has a role to play to be sure, but unless our shepard's actually shepard on this issue, all this fighting will be for not.

6. techwreck

Unfortunately, Ms. Fluke has turned out to be more than a symbol of unchastity. She is also a symbol of the decay in Catholic education because she is a student at Georgetown and the Cardinal of DC is unwilling to crack down on institutions that claim to be Catholic but do not comply with Church teaching. The Church is fighting itself because the hierarchy will not speak out, so we have a confused laity and American public wondering which is the "real" Catholic Church. Is it the Church of Cardinal Dolan, taking a principled stand against the power of the American government? Or, is it the Church of Cardinal Wurl, allowing a university in his diocese to imply it is Catholic and yet oppose Church teaching on the national media. The hierarchy continue to spread confusion in our country because they do not have the courage to take a stand against the Church's dissidents, and they will have to answer someday for the damage to the Body of Christ.

7. eithena

CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT THE WAYS OF THIS WORLD ARE GOING DOWN THE GUTTER, FREE WHAT EVER HAS BEEN AVILABILE FOR YONKERS AND YOU STILL ARE NOT HAPPY JESUS HAVE MERCY THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO

8. JoAnn

Cathy S: Right on. I'm in the same position you are. Rush did not call her names. Actually the libs did by injecting them into the conversation That's what Progressive Socialist do, they change the conversation. God bless.

9. David&Joan

The further one falls into the sin of unchastity the less they think it a sin,as it becomes for them a natural form of behavior. Our whole society seems to prove the point. Chastity requires a strong faith,a faith in ones self,a faith in other people,and a faith in God. When one is not chaste and feel that chastity restricts their "life style",they have lost confidence in themselves,others and God,as they must constantly justify themselves for having the right to be who they think they are and that others should accept the fact that it is alright to be as one prefers to be,as only God is their judge. This is the age when personal feelings that are clearly wrong about chastity can be legislated to become law. Wrong again becomes the right for those that like to be morally wrong. Sex is fun? Those that think so are liberated? Those aborted since Roe vs Wade,if they could speak as a group,might have an even more moving testimony than Ms.Fluke to oppose hers and for excellent reasons. I wonder if President Obama would personally give that group a personal phone call of approval,sympathy and personal support.

10. abey

Just as the universe works to a balance, so does life , which balance comes through the commandments of GOD to Life & non life each to its own ways, in which human chastity plays its part & where liberal Secularism violates the commandments which is to the word of GOD, to life, which includes chastity then the life gets to be unbalanced in the interconnections of time & to this context, saying change, change of all changes to the balances, resulting in imbalances is more than just ignorance, it is destruction & to this the saying "I am my brothers keeper" does matter which makes Limbaugh's words to be relevant, however harsh it may seem, to Obama"s stumble.