The Obama HHS 'Compromise' Switches the Tiger for the Lion Comments

In an effort to save his administration from collapsing under the weight of the controversy caused by the oppressive Health and Human Services (HHS) edict requiring Catholics to violate their conscience, President Obama announced a "compromise". Unfortunately, the compromise is a thinly veiled smoke and mirrors act of political theater.  Continue Reading

1. Mark Shipley

I used to work at St. John's hospital in Joplin, MO. They were self-insured. Obama's compromise requires the insurance company for the hospital to offer free coverage for everyone who wants it. St. John's (Mercy now), would still have to pay for contraception and abortion pills.

2. Brian D.

I hope this is not true, but on the news it was reported that Archbishop Dolan stated that the change in the Obama administration's HHS rules is "a step in the right direction". Tell me this is not an accurate statement by Archbishop-please! I pray that Archbishop has not been fooled by this tactic. The only right direction is a complete revocation of the original HHS decision! On this we cannot compromise. My warning to the leadership of our Church is that Obama is a snake, He will appear to compromise to win votes, and should he be reelected and no longer have to be concerned with what the people in this country think, he will launch further and more despicable attacks on Catholics and other. The faithful in this country must be told that a vote for Obama is a vote against our Church. On whose side do we stand? Which master will we serve?

3. Zachary

My goodness. What is it about the Obama administration that compels them to force secularism and outright atheism on the people? Do they despise Catholics so much that they have to force something on the country that not even their own supporters asked them for? This is ridiculous. It can't last.

4. JMA

Consider that many people -- rightly or wrongly -- don't believe that contraception is immoral, despite the Church's teaching. It's not "an attack on religious freedom" to accomodate their beliefs.The debate is about moral teaching, not about health insurance. One can hope that in a spirit of toleration and political astuteness a means could be found to do this, even if one thinks contraception wrong.

Granted "The insurance companies are still going to charge the insuring employer for these services, albeit in an indirect manner." So religious institutions must pay insurance companies and at the same time insurance companies must offer restricted plans. Fortunately one doesn't get to tell one's vendors how to run their business. Instead should religious institutions determine what insurance is or is not available to their employees?

On this issue one can hope that in the future cooler heads will prevail.

5. Rob

I remember when Obama was running for office I really struggled as to whether I should vote for him. I really wanted to believe that he would do all the things he said in his speeches. I was so disappointed about the state of the country after 8 years of Bush that I really wanted something different. Election day came and I struggled that entire day. But in the end I had to hold my nose and vote for McCain. I just couldn't elect a person who was so smart yet so ignorant in regards to life. And I took comfort in the fact that I just didn't think he had the experience. Now I have a spent a great deal of time on these blogs defending the President from attacks on the economy as many tried to shift blame to him for things he didn't do. I saw no value in conservatives trying to shift blame for things that were done by the GOP to him. And as a Catholic I always felt that we should deal in the truth, no matter what. Economically I'm pretty comfortable that neither party has an anwer. But what the President has done now is indefensible. As an American I want our President to succeed. But this is lunacy. I don't hate Obama over this but am saddened at how blind and heartless our society has become. We've become so self absorbed that we are willing to kill for it. And this cancer has spread to just about every facet of American life unfortunately. Our politicians are only a product of the greater society. We do need to clean house, but we need to begin with ourselves. We need to really live the gospel and we need to start living it now! Obama is not going to be the destroyer of this country. Luke warm Christians will be. This mandate is the direct result of both the clergy and laity being absolutely neglectful in the teaching of faith and morals. That is the truth. I am hopeful that we accept our role as luke warm christians in this debacle and get to work, the work that our baptism requires.

6. frank burns

The clueless are asking "who's paying for this?"
    --The insurance companies will jump at it, since statistically a woman with contraceptives is a lot less expensive for an insurance company than one without. Think for a moment about it... DUHH!
    Obama comes through again, and shows his Solomonic smarts. Four more years! He deserves reelection if only for reintroducing the word "compromise" to the presidential vocabulary, after it was so sorely missed from 2000-2008, when it was replaced by "swagger."