Doug Kmiec Writes President Obama: 'Friendship Will Not Permit Me to Disregard Duty to Faith and Country' Comments

Doug Kmiec convinced many Catholics to elect President Barack Obama and received an ambassadorship to Malta. He also became a lightning rod in the Catholic community and beyond. I have not heard from him since he resigned his ambassadorship. That is until last weekend. His letter to the President is worthy of note. Continue Reading

1. JeanCatherine

Let me ask one question about Obama.

When asked about life issues didnt Mr. Obama say that they were above his pay grade?

How pray tell when you are President can you not answer this question when you send grown men and women into battle? Sending them to their possible deaths.

Shouldnt you have some understanding of life and death issues then? After all its a heavy burden to send men and women into battle.

You then would understand the meaning of life to if you have life yourself. So one person's life is more important than another in this country? Therefore you can justify something above one's pay grade?

So I ask is life priceless or is it above one's pay grade?

2. jgray

Deacon, I appreciated your article regarding Mr.Kmiec. I thought you were upfront in writing the article and in your hopes for Mr.Kmiec. He is your friend obviously. I was saddened to read his letter to the President. He seemed to be sidestepping the hard truth in favor of small bouquets to the President' s huge ego. My own personal friends continue to support President Obama with blind allegiance. In fact I received a note from one telling me that I was telling untruths about the President. I honestly hope that Mr. Kmiec comes to realize that there is really only one Saviour, Jesus the Christ. Please continue to write, and I will continue to read.

3. Doc G

There is none so blind as he who will not see. Please, Ambassador, name one thing to be admired that the President has accomplished.

4. Bulbajer

You tell him, Mr. Kmiec. I too voted for Obama, butIi don't think I can again with good conscience, despite all the things I like about him. Fighting abortion is just as important as fighting poverty, violence outside the womb, disease, corruption, hate, and all other evils in this world.

5. abey

How much of prayer was there in the "prayer breakfast" ? A President who has no hesitation to play politics with Faith, will have no problem in converting a letter regarding faith & its beliefs to politics & its deceits, in the same way that "he does not regard the desire of women", which is to life & "who thinks to change times & laws" through "strange" words like change, change of all changes, all of this mentioned in the scriptures.

6. Rob

I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt most Catholics even know who the Ambassador is in the first place. Folks who voted for Obama voted for him because they wanted to. Or maybe folks who voted for Obama just believe that abortion is here to stay and the leadership of the church and republicans really aren't that serious about doing anything about it. Actions speak louder than words. Sick of the words already.

7. Bill Sr.

To me the most puzzling part of Doug’s deeply entrenched effort into his own soul to find room to admire Obama and then conveniently arrange a prominent place for him within the Catholic conscience as a defender of our faith and freedom is where in Obama’s past was anything that would ignite such an outpouring of devotion? He has to see something the rest of us have never been able to find in the man.

8. Diane

I don't know why Kmiec was fooled by Obama's rhetoric the first time. I was'nt. He(as an Illinois Senator) voted to let babies who survived abortion die on the table. Did he really think that any politician who wanted that kind of cold blooded infanticide to be legalized would respect the religious freedom of any religious group(Catholics& some others)who got in the way of his death and perversion agenda? Oh, come on! ML King said"Blacks have to learn they cannot build their prosperity on the evil of infanticide". Seems some deluded Catholics have to learn that too.

9. ninek

Practicing faith doesn't mean fancy costumes and rituals. We practice our faith every day, in how we treat other people. Obama and his minions think 'practicing faith' is some charming little tradition that has it's place on Christmas and Easter but oh, please don't try to live it out in your daily lives!

I so hope people wake up this election. All the people who thought the blood of some babies was acceptable as long as King Obama saved the poor. He hasn't done didley for the poor. Creating a goverment bureaucracy to deny medical coverage isn't serving the poor or anyone else.

Was it worth it, people? Gonna vote for him again?

10. Samuel Hopper

For many Catholics, including Doug Kmiec, Obama's true colors have presented themselves so clearly they're almost impossible to miss. People of Obama's ilk love the Kmiec's of the world because they will carry his water for them and then be brushed aside when they're no longer useful. It's time for the faithful of the Church to wake up. Three years of "fundamentally changing America" by this administration is occurring exponentially. Powerful Catholics have been used as pawns in the transformation of America and many have continued to choose having power over being faithful. But it is the informed Catholics who fill the pews of their parishes who are in the best position to stop the tide that would sweep Christianity out to sea. It would seem from this article that perhaps (hopefully) Doug Kmiec has seen the light and is ready to reverse course and follow not a man, but follow our Lord and Savior, the One Who will never lead us astray, Jesus Christ. I hope all the Catholics who put their hope and trust in Obama will have their "Doug Kmiec" moment soon!