Catholic Resistance Must be the Response to the Unjust HHS Edict to Violate Conscience Comments

The Catholics Bishops of the United States have asked the faithful to pray, fast and engage in Catholic Action. This is in response to the unjust edict demanding that Catholic hospitals and institutions dispense contraceptives (some of which are abortifacients) and offer sterilization under the so called "Affordable Care Act". Continue Reading

1. Laura Rosics

Everett Mann,

I guess it was you that the holy fathers of holy mother church were referring to when the;y
    warned the rest of us about wolves within the church dressed as sheep. I am not judging you, I was brought up to know the truth, there are no grey areas in the Catholic church.If you think you are Catholic then you are being decieved by the evil one. You should fall on your knees and beg the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts before it is to late.

2. John D

Everett Mann, the argument you use is not strong. The "millions of kids will die" without Obama care is a gross exaggeration in the same light as those who claim "millions of women will die" in back alley abortion clinics if Roe vs. Wade is overturned. Since 1973 we've had approximately 53 million abortions in the USA alone. I don't think we would have lost 53 million women to back alley abortions and we certainly haven;t lost 53 million due to the lack of Obama care. Also, are you aware of the demographic problems going on in Europe? Their extraordinarily low birth rates and rampant practice of abortion has produced a population on the verge of a demographic implosion, which is taking their economy with it. Aborting and contracepting future generations out of existence is a really bad idea from both moral and secular perspectives. You can argue all you want, but at the end of the day, all you have to do is look at Greece to see our future. There are good reasons why the Catholic Church has taken the positions it has over the past 2,000 years. Our goal, as good Catholics, is to try and understand the reasoning behind those positions. After many years of having made the very same arguments you have made, I found myself admitting the church was right all a long. I just wasn't smart enough to recognize it.

3. Rob

Many believe that this administration in particular is trying to destroy the Church. And as of late some of it's hair brained policies appear to be doing that. But Obama aside, luke warm Catholics remain the greatest threat to our Church as it stands today. First, nothing Obama or anyone else for that matter can destroy our Church as the scriptures tell us. But we can squander our freedoms. If our Church is not going to focus on coverting souls then we've already lost. This isn't about being a Catholic who follows every jot and tittle of the catechism or voting for the right party. This isn't even about abortion rights, gay marriage etc. This is about being true disciples of Christ. There are so many different demographics that we can point to in parish communities that show that this number is very, very small. If we are not following Christ, then we don't have the capacity to accept the Chruch's teachings. If we aren't following Christ, then what society proposes doesn't seem harmful or deadly. I really believe that we have become so focused on certain issues that we've left Christ out of our efforts. Our parishes need basic conversion and an infusion of the Holy Spirit. If we don't get back to this then we've already lost and it matters not what Obama does.

4. Liberty

The Obama administration has had a communist agenda from day one. As a democratic Republic, we are a Nation of Laws...however what our government has not whittled away, they have sidestepped, or outright ignored. This administration in particular has ruled by executive order, race baiting, and insiting class warfare: it is filled with admitted socialists, Marxist, communists. We must stand tall as our Founders did, we must stand and restore the moral fiber of America: a Republican form of gov is designed for a moral and religious people. In the fatal decline of democracy, we are between the apathy to the back to bondage stage. If we do not stop this, we will leave to our posterity only bondage. During the revolutionary war, preachers joined the Black Robe Regiment, they fought for American freedom from their pulpits as well as from horseback. I urge Catholics to join the Tea Party movement.

5. J

Rob, I think your question is a good one. It doesn't make sense for this administration to come out with this ruling in an election year, unless it believes that there are more liberal catholics than conservative. Is it possible that it is attempting to promote division within the Catholic Church? It wouldn't do that, would it? It seems as though this administration is calling us out. Thus it is so important to follow our bishop's lead in fasting and prayer. I also like the idea of a non-partisan voter registration movement mentioned above. More important than what any official in this administration believes, is God's power which is available to all of us who believe in justice and truth. Obviously we all have access to that through our church's sacraments and in our visits to His holy altar.

Finally, I don't mean to get preachy on you, but we must remember to pray as mentioned by our bishops not only for Holy Mother the Church, but also for those who lead us...even though we may disagree with their policies. Let's pray that they will have their 'Road to Damascus moment.'

6. John

Was there ever any doubt this would be coming when govt. got control of our health? The clues were all there to see. It's time for Catholics to stand up and be heard (along with prayer) if we are to have any chance of saving religious freedom in this country.

Please church leadership, don't let us down again.

7. Everett Mann

Laura Rosics asks why I am here. First and foremost, I am Catholic baptized 44 years ago today (1 Feb 68). I received all the sacrements growing up. Was married in the church. So whether or not you agree with my politics, I have and will continue to identify as a Catholic... Second I was taught to examine my faith routinely. Msrg made sure of that and I have great respect for him that he did. Examining my faith to me means justifying why I am Catholic and do not subscribe to Judeaism or Islam or Hinduism. Examining my faith means that I ask why certain people believe what they believe... Third, when I subscribe to a magazine and receive it, I do not read every page cover to cover as there are always articles that do not interest me. When I buy an album or a CD, I do not listen to every song because even my favorite artists don't always produce my favorite songs. I do not agree with everything this country has done, but I am not going to leave it. Likewise, I do not agree with some tenents of the Catholic Church but that does mean I am going to leave it. If that makes me a Cafeteria Catholic or Catholic in name only, then so be it. I will remind you those are your labels, not mine. I will further remind you that I have no judge but GOD and you are not him.

8. Rob

First let me state that in an election year it's suprising that Obama would do this. He either really wants to destroy the Church, or sadly, may just be acknowledging what Catholics by and large already accept (contraception, sterilization etc). The question I have is if it was offered on a Catholic plan, would Catholic's do it? Are we more afraid of that rather than the law itself. Personally I see this as the culture calling us out? Do we really believe what the Church teaches and are we willing to walk the talk? I think we may undersestimate the number of catholics who could care less about this.

9. Robert Garcia

Please sign the government petition to stop this unjust law. Here is the link.

10. Robert Klein

Hi. It is time for every parish across the nation to start a non-partisan voter registration effort.. Please ask you pastor to support such a program... The lives of children and the soul of our nation is at stake!