Pope Warns US Bishops of Radical Secularism, Threats to Religious Freedom Comments

Grave threats to the Church's public moral witness presented by a radical secularism which finds increasing expression in the political and cultural spheres.The seriousness of these threats needs to be clearly appreciated at every level of ecclesial life. Of particular concern are certain attempts being made to limit that most cherished of American freedoms, the freedom of religion. Continue Reading

1. carolyn.

i think we need to understand the history of the church how and why things happened. We believe what we are told from a very young age of what we are taught in school and we don't question and dig for ourselves to look to see the true cause of things. Don't apologize. I have used it too. it depends oh what. Certainly not on matters of faith. Catholics are given an opportuntiy to learn more about their own faith when they are challenged. I don't know everything. I really have to search for answers sometimes. it is not always easy being Catholic. the Church has been challenged throughout History. We certainly are not spoon fed. We truly have to have a hunger for the faith if we want to grow. The Church offers everything we need, but we need to dig sometimes to find it. How are we going to bring others to Christ if we don't know what the Church teaches. I do see that we do agree and have somethings in common. I have tried to show my side with love and patients. God does recognize all good works if they are done with right intentions. God Bless You.

2. caroly

The world will never be perfect because we we live in a fallen world because of our fallen nature. It would have been perfect if sin did not enter into it in the Garden of Edan. it would still be paradise. We would not have to worry about where our meals would come from. we would not have to worry about clothes. We would not have to worry about our jobs. We would not have to worry about locking our doors at night. there would be no evil. So now we need to live in this world the best we can. God never abandoned Adam and Eve. They were disobedient and ended up having to work a little harder. It is that way still today. We can learn from the experience of what happened in the Garden. God doesn't abandoned us to our own weak human nature. We need help to live good lives in this falllen world. The list I gave you and you agreed with is the social justice teaching of the Catholic church. The Church does not teach Christians are perfect. Jesus says be perfect as I am perfect. Without him it is impossible to do that. We are humans and are not perfect. the Church is perfect. She is Devine. Her teachings are perfect. It is perfect because she is created by God. She is filled with sinners that need her help. The government is created by man. It t is not perfect. Our government leaders are not perfect either. Jesus left his perfect Devine church in the hands of in the hands of sinful humans. The Pope is not even perfect. He sins also. he goes to confession just like every other good practicing Catholic. But when he speaks in excathedra, he speaks in the voice of the Church, He speaks without error. he protects Church teaching and deposits of faith. The world is not in the condition it is in because of what Christianity teaches, but because of our fallen human nature and what we have all done to it, and the lack of the social teachings of the Church. The government refuses to listen and rejects these. We are all responsible. Good and some ba has been don by the leaders of the church, but what good has been done by the government. They still show no respect for human rights respect for life or justice. As Catholics we look to the Church for guidance. Sometimes we are not so good at listening and following through. we need to admit when we are wrong. Obama will not admit he is wrong. That is why we go to confession to receives forgiveness for going against God and turn back to him when we know we have done something wrong. we can only do this if we have a properly formed conscience so that we can turn back and start again and improve. We look to grow in grace to live how we are suppose to. The secular world looks to the government for laws that do not have respect for all human life or that try to protect it. When they get it wrong they don't try to fix it. They won't even listen to good advice They only protect the rights of those they think deserve to be protected. Good has been done by state? The church is being forced to give up its rights and the state will not listen to the church. Right now Obama is violating the rights that belong to all of us and not respecting life. The government won't listen to the bishops good advice. Even in England the king refused to listen to the church and wanted to only to please himself. He wanted to wanted to marry his mistress and the church said they wouldn't marry them He proclaimed himself head of his own church and head of his own state. That's Pretty arrogant to me. He did not live a very upright life. Now that is a great leader of a church to follw isn't it He also had his wife beheaded Do You know any thing about the development of the Catholic church in Early American History. The government has always been very hostile towards it. Early Chrisitans in America were protestants. when Catholics came here they were treated as second class citizens. Their churches were burnt. They were forced to worship in private in homes. If the priests were caught they may have even been imprisoned. The KKK were made up of WASPS. They did not like Catholics. My Grandmother has told me stories of how crosses were burned in their lawn because they were Catholic. The Repupulican party was made up of the WASPS(white anglo saxon protestants) you are talking about. Today There is less animosity among our christians in the political sphere. But the government still is not open to what the church has to say. . You are not wasting my time. I am here because I want to be her to defend the Catholic Church the best I can against the misunderstandings people may have. You need to read things about what the church teaches not things that teaches against it. I have given you many sources to go to. I feel as frustrated as I do when I tell my kids sometimes and they tell me I am wrong because the teacher told them something different. where did you hear that. most likely it has been formed by secular media . They twist the truth and lie to you. I want it to be corrected. We have a great nation and people need to take good advice when it comes their way. the President meets with all kinds of world leaders to make this world a safe place. But he refuses to listen to the church which can offer a solution to bring peace. Pope John Paul says if you want peace work towards justice. Jesus says "Peace is what I leave with you; It is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does." He said this after his resurection and. just before he ascended into heaven.

3. Rob

vance, I think it's pretty clear out founding father's believed that men have to be guided by God as the source of our freedom and our rights. But they also took great pains to ensure that we were not a theocracy and the right to worship as one chooses or not at all is pretty plain as well. It's not debatable that this government can't work when our inherent freedoms are trampled on. Honestly, we do not need a government proclamation to have a Christian nation. We need Christians to live as Christians, inclusive of our politicians who can't seem to do that once they arrive in DC. Our failure to live as authentic disciples is what is driving our society to the pits. We are either actively participating or are sitting on the sidelines watching it happen. We are so busy fighting social evils that I think sometimes we forget about Christ. We forget about the great commission to share the good news. Instead we have a culture that thinks that Christianity is merely adhering to a moral code and honestly I can't blame them. Sometimes I think we are more interested in controlling behavior or stopping it then we are brining people to Christ. I think we have the call the repent right, but we forget to share the good news. And it's no wonder why folks aren't biting.

4. Bulbajer

Carolyn, I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm glad you posted that list, because it reminds me of the things that libera-l and conservative-leaning Catholics can agree upon. Sorry that I gave Wikipedia as a source; I'm getting lazy citing sources. I agree that God doesn't lie - but man does. I understand that the Church is the voice of God, but I can't honestly say that I believe in that idea 100%. There's too much blood on the history of the Church. I'm really, really sorry about that sheep-sheering thing - just ignore it, it makes little sense. And Anglo-Saxons are a racial group that means something very close to "white". I used them as an example because of the long history of Anglo-Saxon (particularly "White Anglo-Saxon Protestants" or WASPs) supremacy in countries like America and Britain.

Vance: I don't think those problems you mentioned can be attributed to Christianity. They're largely because of liberalism (except for the prison thing; I think that's because of the War on Drugs, which was/is roughly bipartisan). What problems can be attributed to Christianity? Religious intolerance and persecution in Europe for over a millenium is one. A strong sense of superiority over "savage" peoples is another (though race also contributed to that). When I say that Christianity caused this, I'm not saying that the true teachings of Jesus caused this. I'm saying that many Christians have committed horrible acts in the name of their religion. All Christians are imperfect in following God.

To both Carolyn and Vance: I agree with you that our discussion is isn't going to sway anybody's opinions. I'm sorry if I've sounded like I'm trying to convince you not to be good Catholics. Perhaps we ought to just let it go for now.

5. vance

Bulbajer, you have stoked the furnace of my curiosity. I got what you are saying about an 'Ideal World'. Still, I see nothing in history that was initiated by Christianity as evil. Here we are today where we have 60+ million butchered babies since Roe vs Wade. We have 3/4 of Black babies born to single mothers. White and Hispanics are nearing 50% babies born to single mothers. More people are living in habitation than those who are married. Prisons are over crowded. You must commit a felony to get into prison. Are all of these issues a product of Christianity? and how so?

6. carolyn

Bulbajer, Have you thought about the list that I posted? In the meantime, i would suggest using a better source than wikipedia. The use of it is discouraged for college students. There are better sources out there to use. Why are you making this more confusing than it really is just to make me see your side of this and make me change my mind? I don't think you are going to convince anyone here. You said for yourself that you weren't sure of what you were saying. Why don't you use something that would be more relevant to our culture like abortion. It would be easier to understand and relate to what you are trying to say. What does sheep sheering have to do with the church or our culture or morality. It is trivial and it sounds like you are grasping at straws unless you are talking about secular morality, because I think it would fall under that relm. So, you seem to be accepting everything that our secular government tells you and you seem to be defending them in their error. I choose to believe what God says handed down from Christ. you choose to listen to the lies of this world. what the difference? God doesn't lie to you.Man will to benefit himself. I am not going to continue to even figure out what you mean. It has nothing to do with church doctrine. I wouldn't expect you to accept the beliefs of the church because it doesn't seem like you are Catholic. The Church does have something else to offer the society as a whole. It is this, that The president refused to listen to. I have the same question as Vance how is Christianity evil. Christian morality protects life and preserves it and works for the common good. Our Secular government does not. Our secular government support secular organizations only which do not protect human life and preserve it. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your last two sentences. Anglo-Saxons are Christians.

7. Bulbajer

Vance, ideally, if the government were Christian it could do no wrong because ideally, Christianity contains no wrong and therefore ideally, Christians can do no wrong. See my point? A lot of good things have been done in the name of Christianity, but a lot of bad things hve also been done in the name of Christianity. History is a testament to that.
    Carolyn, again, we agree. If the government were to behave according to that morality, then that would be absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, out of the many officially Christian countries that have existed over the years, very few, if any, have respected all those guidelines. When government takes a position on religion, things tend to go awry. That's why we in America have complete freedom of religion and separation of church and state, both of which are being threatened today from the Hard Right and the Hard Left. By the way, you sound very frustrated with me in some of your comments. I hope I'm not taking up too much of your time.

8. carolyn

Bulbajer, here is a list. I am not going to tell you what they are. You may already know. here is the 1. Life and dignity of the human person. 2.human rights are protected and responsibilities are met. We have responsibilities to one another, to our families, and to the larger society. 3. call to family, community, and participation. people have a right and a duty to participate in society,, seeking together the common good and well-being of all, especially the poor and vulnerable.4. option for the poor and vulnerable. putting the needs of the poor and vulnerable first.. 5. the dignity of work and the rights of workers. the rights of workers must be respected, the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to, to private property, and to economic initiative.6. Solidarity, We are one human family whatever our national, racial, ethnic, economic, and ideological differences. we are our brother s and sisters keepers.7. Care for the earth is not just an earth day slogan.. We all need to take care of the planet and people and everything in it. .. This enviromental challenge has fundamental moral and ethical dimensions that cannot be ignored. I think these are basic and that everyone can relate to all of them.. Are there any you disagree with?

9. carolyn

Vance, Yes, I think that is exactly what he is trying to tell me.

10. carolyn

Vance, thank you, I am in the process of responding. I haven't dropped the ball yet. I am having to weed through the ridiculousness of his reasoning.