Newt Gingrich to restore faith in presidency with faith in God Comments

As voters scrutinize Newt Gingrich they are examining the faith of a man who has like many others, had his ups and downs. A convert to Catholicism, Gingrich's views have wide appeal to Catholics, and as he articulates his beliefs, many are taking a new found interest in him. Continue Reading

1. Rob

JoAnn, I think part of the reason I have such a hard time with the drumbeat to go to war with Iran is that this same drum was not being played when Bush was in office. Iran was doing the same thing, they were on the "axis of evil," but instead of going after the real enemy, we go to war with a country on false intellegence. Thousands of lves lost later, almost a trillion dollars later we've now come to a place where the real enemy has gained a tremendous upper hand in the region. Make no mistake, part of the reason we will not take action in Iran is due to oil interest. Do you actually think that Russia and China (our largest creditor) are going to sit back and allow us to invade a country that they rely upon for so much energy? We've given Israel tons of money, tons of military hardware etc. If Iran poses such a dire threat, I would much rather have Israel take care of it. It is at that time we can determine if we need to step in understanding that we may be inadvertantly starting a much larger conflict. Since the war monging Bush administration didn't feel it was necessary to pursue Iran, I'm not sure why Obama is being held to a different standard? I know to some degree we all expected him to clean up all the messes of the Bush administration, but one mess at a time. Hopefully now being out of Iraq, maybe we can rebuild our forces to actually deal with Iran, North Korea etc.

2. JoAnn

Bulbajer: Hi, my friend. I don't recall saying global warming was evil. Global warming, to me, is just another ponzy scheme for the government to take more of our money. There will always be climate change, we've had it since the creation of the world. My favorite presidents were: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and yes Ronald Reagan and believe it or not John Kennedy. Even with all his womanizing. I liked the way he handled the Cuban crisis and Kruschef (spelling?) In fact, I was on the delivery table with my first daughter when that whole Cuban crisis was going on. I could hear the nurses and doctors discussing it right before I delivered. I was really worried and upset because my husband had not yet received his discharge papers from the army. I was so afraid he was going to get called back to duty. I read somewhere, can't remember where, it was so long ago, that in a conversation between Kennedy and Kruschef, they were discussing communism. Kennedy told him that America will never be a communist country. Kruschef said to Kennedy, "You Americans are so foolish, one day you will fall into our hands like ripe fruit." Looks like he was right. God bless.

3. JoAnn

Jorge: Are you addressing me? If so, poor judgement regarding what? God bless.

4. m

Now c'mon, Jorge. You really believe that Ron Paul said that America deserved 9-11? He simply pointed out that it was our foreign policy that makes enemies, not our superior morals and great wealth. We are talking about human beings here. Not devils. Only devils and extremely evil people hate good. And as some wise man pointed out: pure evil is as rare as pure good in men.

5. Jorge

Ron Paul said America diserved 9-11, so Joan, I am totally disapointed with your poor judgement. On the other hand, Gingrich is actually much more reliable, honest and idealistic, a man of real values to rebuild the nation that barack obama destroyed.Gincrich said the truth about palestinians, a fraud as history proves they are arabs who descend from muslim invaders of israel.Gingrich is also much superior in terms of economics, finance, education, scientific field..Ron paul doesn't stand a chance as a politician against newt.

6. JoAnn

M: I am not supporting Santorum just because he is a Catholic. I did not support going into Iraq nor did our Holy Father JPII. He warned Bush of the possible ramifications of such a decision BUT, well, you know the rest. There is such a thing as Just War and sometimes that war has to be fought offensively instead of defensively. What do you make of Iran promising death to America and death to Israel? Do you not believe them? I, for one, take them very seriously and so does Santorum. I admire and respect Ron Paul very much. He is consistent in what he believes. He seems to be an honorable man and I believe he is truly concerned about our country. But to not take Iran seriously, I think, is dangerous to many more lives being lost than what has already been lost. God's hand has been over the US in war and has given us victories. I agree, the Rosary is a powerful weapon and our beautiful Mother has done great wonders in Jesus. Our Holy Father was very devoted to her as I. He dedicated Russia to her and she is Patroness over the Americas. I'm speaking of her in that she is the Lady of Guadalupe. She is also the Patroness of the unborn. How do we handle Islamic agression? We remain vigilant and listen to people who say they want to kill us. America is bound to support Israel because they are the chosen and God said "Whoever blesses Israel, I will bless and whoever curses Israel, I will curse." She is in danger from every country on this planet, especially Iran and all the countries that surround her. This is the first time in history that a US president has turned his back on Israel and has thrown her under a bus. He hates Israel and Netanyahu and loathes the fact that he has to deal with him. Islam doesn't just hate Christians, they hate anyone who is not a Muslim and believe it is their mission to convert all peoples or kill them in the name of Allah. I don't know what Santorum's destiny is, only God knows. I do not believe him to be cocky and i do not believe he will start wars just for the sake of starting wars. I do believe that he will defend this country and its freedom to his dying breath and that is the role that he is willing to take on. Does anyone know their destiny? Right now, Santorum sees what is happening to this country not to mention the entire globe. Islam is building a Caliphate and it is their intention to take over the whole world. Are you okay with that? Prophecy says that at the end there will be a one world governance and a one world faith. What faith do you want that to be? What government do you want that to be? Do you want Sharia Law ruling the world or freedom? Do you want Islam ruling the world or Christianity? This country was built on Judea/Christian beliefs and Santorum will defend that. I'm not saying Ron Paul wouldn't. We haven't started any wars against other countries, we are defending ourselves. We defended ourselves from the British in the American Revolution. The North defended itself trying to abolish slavery from the South in the Civil War and so on throughout history. We didn't start this war with Islamic jihadists, we are only defending ourselves. We get involved in other wars because our help was solicited. Go back and read the story of the "Good Samaritan" in the Bible. I appreciate your passion for Ron Paul and IF he wins the nomination, of course, I would vote for him, but at this time I support Santorum. God bless.

7. Rob

I got to go with M on this one. We somehow have taken an end times protestant view of the world that is in stark contrast to what our church, the universal Church teaches. Christ did not win by waging war and we won't either. Vance, unfortunately in Gingrich's case, what might be referred to as mudslinging will merely be his record. Some of it's great and some not so great.

8. Bulbajer

JoAnn, as I'm sure you know, there was a debate between the Founding Fathers about how powerful to make the federal government. Eventually, the Federalists beat the anti-Federalists: our Constitution is based on the Federalist interpretation. The Federal government has limits, but it has power over the states in some situations. The Anti-Federlalists didn't want this; they wanted an America much like the one envisioned in the Articles of Confederation. Also, you keep bringing up Teddy Roosevelt and FDR. I don't worship them by any means, but I'd be interested to know who you think of as a model president besides Lincoln and (I'm guessing) Reagan. Finally, how is believing in global warming evil? Thanks.
    John D., good points. I didn't get time to read all of Rob's response, but I'm guessing that it's probably something really good.

9. Judy

M: I knew before I finished reading your post you were for Ron Paul. Of all the candidates he is the one I like the least. Granted, he does have some good ideas, but Foreign Affairs IS NOT one of them. As I have said before, he is an Isolationist...that went out 150-200 years ago, when our forefathers foresaw the world becoming a smaller place and that it was not in the best interest of the U.S. I pray the Rosary. Am consecrated to Mary. Was president of Legion of Mary for 3 years. So Yes! I believe in that. I also believe we should not get involved in every country's affairs. But I do believe in protecting ourselves. In this area of Foreign Affairs Ron Paul is on his own planet, in my opinion. Blessings...

10. M

JoAnn-You said: "He (Santorum) has a reasonably good handle on foreign affairs and what we are up against in the middle east." What are you specifically thinking of? Since this is a Catholic forum, how do his views square with Catholic teaching regarding war? What is the true solution to Islamic aggression? How is America bound to protect Israel anymore than any other nation on earth? Does God expect us start another Crusade against the Turk? Did it work in the past? Only partially. The greatest victories came when Our Lady stepped in with the Rosary which was directly aimed at the Mohammedans and was later used with great success against the Communists. As Catholics we know the answer. Let the neo-cons spend money that we do not have and put us into bondage to the lender nations. Let them send our strongest young people to death so that a people who are under the influence of a wicked religion can hate the vestiges of Christianity that they see in our mostly Protestant nation. But don't send a Catholic to the White house to make these mistakes! There are many things to be admired about Santorum. But that does not mean that his role in life is the Presidency. He is an eloquent speaker that can do good by encouraging moral values. If we make the mistake of electing him to a position that he is not suited for, simply because he is a fellow Catholic, then we are depriving ourselves of the greater good that he may do elsewhere. And we may be setting him up for failure and scandal if he can not meet the needs of his position. The power could undo him. Frankly, I am troubled by his apparent cockiness and willingness to wage war. The Catholic Church has always hated war and tried to curb it whenever it could. Christ said: "Blessed be the Peacemakers." The Church says that just wars are okay. But It does not say that we can kill because a small nation MAY be building a defense weapon. Are we talking about Russia whom Our Lady foretold would take over the earth? Are we talking about taking out China? The nation that is Communist? Communism has been condemned by the Church! China openly persecutes Christians and carries out morally horrifying acts. Everyday we bind ourselves closer to China with our debt and trade policies. We welcome it to set up work camps in our country. And yet we wring our hands over a small backward country trying to make a bomb? Sort of like fiddling as Rome burns. Send Santorum to tell the world the REAL answers! Put Ron Paul in charge of uniting, rebuilding and nursing our homeland back to health. Catholics in American politics have been historically a sad failure. But as missionaries, scientists and caregivers they have been the light of the world. Please ask your Catholic friends to consider Ron Paul for president. Do not trust any media. Go directly to Paul's voting record, past actions and voluminous writings. Do not allow others to interpret Paul for you because there is much misinformation being circulated and many really have no clue about the truth. Finally, if you have any last doubts about his character you must meet him in person. His genuine honesty and virtue inspire all that meet him. As fellow Catholics, I beg all readers here to consider this election to be the most important one in American history. Ron Paul and the Rosary!