Health Care, the Sophistry of Nancy Pelosi and that 'Conscience Thing' Comments

Not only do our consciences need to be formed, they can also become deformed and regularly need to be re-formed. That is all too evident when we look at the way in which some Catholics, like Nancy Pelosi, approach political participation.She intentionally confuses others about what the Catholic Church teaches concerning conscience. Consciences are "good" when they are properly formed in the truth which leads the person to do what is ... Continue Reading

1. Judy

Vance, I thank you for the kind statement. I think we must all remember Wisdom and Innocence. These two words take us back to Mt. 10:16 when Jesus tells his disciples, (now us),
    to be "wise as serpents and innocent as doves". Wisdom=Not compromising Truth. Innocence=Not compromising Goodness. Jesus always defended the Truth. One only needs to use History and his/her Common Sense to See the Truth. Then, use their Voice and their Vote. It really seems quite simple to me? Our Life means "fighting the good fight".....C.K.Chesterton. And that is all anyone is asking anyone to do. OPEN your eyes. WHAT has History shown you? What does today tell you? WHO Is CHRIST-like? WHO Is Not CHRIST-like? Not the character who gives to the poorest of the poor, but the character who is like the Widow, who gave all she had. The Widow's Mite. Put aside the world's thinking, and think as Christ would have you think. Ut-oh. My CCD teaching came out. Forgive me. Thank you for letting me on the soapbox. It was not my intention. Blessings..

2. Rob

Judy, I'm sorry, but given that we have a two party system who have traded absolute power over the decades since Roe v Wade, it's absolutely rendered a verdict of equality on this issue. I get the outrage on folks like Pelosi and towards the democrats in general over the issue of abortion and other moral issues. What you see is what you get. But I just don't understand how there is no outrage about the failure of the party shouting from the roof top their pro life creds who have done virtually NOTHING to change the status quo. Maybe the GOP currently doesn't embarass themselves to the extent that Nancy Pelosi does, again she makes it easy. But to sit there and pat them on the back for maintaining the status quo is not a forgiveable offense in my book. And further, I have seem them split the seas to protect tax cuts and for various fiscal matters. And the one time they had to at least defund planned parenthood, they blinked. But what they actually did is show where they really stand. So please, keep pretending they are different on this issue. I guess at a certain level it makes us feel better about pulling the lever for them. But unless you priority is wealth creation and defense spending, good luck on the abortion issue. I've been pulling that lever for years and it's only brought us status quo....never repeal. You guys are entitled to your own opinions for sure, but until that abortion clinic I see on my drives is closed, they are merely that opinions and proof positive that as far as abortion is concerned, status quo, and status quo only rules the day.

3. vance

Judy, thank you for the kind support. Again, you are the sober individual among a bunch of floundering flubs.

4. Jeffrey Caperton

Vance, I hoped Catholic Online would edit out the "drunken redneck" comment because that was the prideful side of me coming out and I knew it immediately after hitting "Post Comment" (I was in the midst of my first cup of coffee, if you will allow that excuse). For that, you have my apologies as that was a bit "over the top" (We need better cliches). You mentioned "I realize that I am not going to change your mind". Is that what you are trying to do here? If so, what do you really know about me? I will go no further with that thread as it will send us back to center ring. I will, instead go back to another comment you made earlier about "people who are responding Princess Pelosi". I will take the liberty of broadly interpretting that to people here responding to what they perceive as the deplorable state of our elected officials (In this case, Nancy Pelosi). And to that you will find little disagreement from me even though I tend to say "a plague on both your houses" while you merely say a "plague upon the Democratic party". But, as you are here commenting upon the deplorable state of selected politicians, I am here commenting upon what I see as the deplorable state of manners and civility in the current environment, particularly among Christians. Disagreeing with and commenting upon selected politicians is one thing, but I feel that we need to remember that what we say says a lot about Christians to the secular world, and we all know just how hard the secular world searches for imperfections within the Christian community so that they can say "You are no better than me". But, just as you feel the need to remind Washington, D.C. of it's responsibilities to ensure liberties to all, born and unborn, I feel the need to remind Christians that we are responsible for spreading light, not pulling the blinds down further. And I do not believe sarcasm and name-calling is conducive to spreading the light. Otherwise, continue to speak out against what is wrong. I will. Once more, apologies for the "drunken redneck" comments. Peace.

5. vance

Jeffrey, Glad to see you wanting to argue like a "Redneck". I truthfully don't know how a Redneck argues but it must be more intellectual than a Liberal. Yes, my debating you may well be blowing off hot air but at least you are one Liberal who doesn't cry and walk away like most Liberals because someone disagrees with you. This website and others offer current news and events where folks like you and I can sit around and discuss what's happening. It's called "Freedom of Speech" and Assembly. This is what Obama and his hack Fed Communications Board want to do away with. Did you know that Pelosi and Reid gave Obama a "Kill Switch" to turn off the internet if he "Interprets" a national threat. This is highly troublesome. Every which way we turn, Obama, Reid, and Pelosi have their evil hands pulling the Constitution apart. Sorry Jeffrey but my sidewalk counseling infront of Planned Parenthood and working to elect Conservative candidates is fighting you guys.

6. Jeffrey Caperton

Judy In response to "THAT is why you should care about parties. True. They are not perfect. None of us are. But which have you honestly observed practicing Christ.", my response is neither. Both pay lip service to their constituencies with regard to moral government/society and no more. That is why I am highly suspicious and, frankly, doubtful of anybody who is too partisan one way or the other.

7. Rob

queenes, sometimes I do think I'm out of my mind. Because all I know is this. Regardless of the party in power, abortion remains. I am sick of continuing to vote for the GOP because of the abortion issue and yet nothing gets done. And given the feats that I've seen the GOP go through for fiscal issues, I will not accept the tired argument that it's because of the liberals they can't get this done. The truth is, this issue just isn't at the top of the list. And that has to be the truth because they have had ample opportunity to advance legislation but have failed. And token bills while they have no power doesn't fool me either. Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what the dems are doing. They have embraced death on so many levels that I just can't take them seriously anymore. I am trying to salvage the party that is talking the talk, but refuses to walk the walk. And while challening the GOP records sometimes feels like I'm defending dems, that is never my intent. My intent is to scream from the roof tops that there are wolves amongst us and we'd better stop looking only at the dems or we'll never get anywhere. Case in point, 40 years of abortion. Vance, keep up the good work man. But please, we've got to start cleaning up our own house before we worry so much about the dems. My disgust with the dems will not blind me to what the party I vote for is not doing and has done to make a mess of things. It's not honest and I can't get there.

8. Judy

Hi Vance, Just wanted to Thank you for posting to Rob and Jeff. I hope Jeff reads my last post to Rob. In fact, I hope all do. Prayers and Blessings always...

9. Judy

Rob, I Have to say Queenesther really set things straight to you as far as the two parties being Similar. They are Not! Vance, bless his heart, has been debating w/you on various posts on just that subject, Though on different topics. I know your best intentions are Christ before country. Very Good. But, If we do not Observe what is going on in each and every facet everyday in each party continually, and hold each of them up to Christ's standard, there will be No Country in which to teach or preach Christ. Not only that, if one looks at the way Social Democracy, Marxist began in Germany, children, who are our Future, will be LEAD by the way side through no fault of their own. Check Europe's Socialist Democracy and see if Catholicism is on the rise. THAT is why you should care about parties. True. They are not perfect. None of us are. But which have you honestly observed practicing Christ. Being Christ-like? May God open your heart for the Coming of Our Lord This Advent, as All of us.
    Prayers and Blessings...

10. Jeffrey Caperton

Vance, Forgive my saying so, but we are not fighting anything here. Everything we are doing at this website amounts to little more than two drunken rednecks sitting at a bar arguing politics. What is ironic is that, in my experience, they are generally more civil and charitable than most of the people at this website. Perhaps I am mistaken looking for charitable or civil behavior among Christians; that I would be better off among drunken rednecks. Vance, you are not fighting anything; you are shouting at the wind.