Health Care, the Sophistry of Nancy Pelosi and that 'Conscience Thing' Comments

Not only do our consciences need to be formed, they can also become deformed and regularly need to be re-formed. That is all too evident when we look at the way in which some Catholics, like Nancy Pelosi, approach political participation.She intentionally confuses others about what the Catholic Church teaches concerning conscience. Consciences are "good" when they are properly formed in the truth which leads the person to do what is ... Continue Reading

1. Rob

vance, the legislative actions that Newt with Clinton and the dems was able to do back then is extremely unlikely would happen today. Back then they had a modicum of common sense and knew that raising taxes had to be part of the equation. But with this loon house, doubtful they will ever get there. But balanced budget aside, to the extent they played a role in the repeal of the Glass Stegal Act, didn't matter how balanced it was as they lit the fuse for economic collapse. And every politician has sat idly by and watch the fuse get shorter and shorter. I could probably get behind Newt if he had something, anything in his platform that talked about how we would right these "banks gone wild." But unfortunately according to his website, only more deregulation. Judy, just so I"m clear, anyone who grows government is a progressive?

2. Judy

Vance, A Smile to you! I wonder if you and JoAnn could help our brother Rob on "Progressives". Rob: Thank you so much for answering my question and expressing your concern on where Progressives come in. I have asked Vance and JoAnn to explain how P. fit into the political scheme of our nations history. My time is limited today. If they do not answer, or I think I can add a bit more I shall as soon as time permits. Blessings....

3. vance

Rob, How in the world did Gingrich's 4 balanced budgets contribute to the mess? This was the first time in decades our nation experienced such a thing and has not expereinced since.

4. JoAnn

Rob: YES!!!! The progressives are "economic terrorists." And as I said before, they are in both parties. McCain, Graham, and Trent Lott to name a few. We have to vote these people out. Do research on legislation and see how each one of the people in Congress (Senate and House) voted. You can determine who are the progressives. If they voted for anything that will grow government, they are progressives. I'm with you as far as Santorum is concerned. My dream ticket is Santorum and Bachmann. They are the only true conservatives running. Romney and Perry are progressives and Newt is a "progressive light". Among the three, I would have to pick Newt. Paul is out, so is Cain. Huntsman is a progressive light also. But electing a president isn't the only thing we have to worry about.. We have to get a majority in Senate and keep the majority in the House. However, as I said above, we have to remove as many progressives from both the Senate and House that we can. We have to get Obama and his comrade Czars OUT. I can't believe America elected a liberation theology communist in the first place. What were they thinking? What did they think Obama meant when he said that we were 5 days away from "fundamentally transforming" America? What did they think he meant when he said he wanted to "spread the wealth around"? What did they think he meant when he said that "his salvation depended on him saving the rest of us?" What did they think when he said he didn't want any off shore drilling? What did they think when he said that coal companies were dirty and he wanted to shut them down. What did they think when he said that our energy bills "would necessarily skyrocket"? I can go on and on. Didn't anyone listen to him while he was campaigning for the presidency? God bless.

5. vance

Judy, with posts like yours, you are welcome to be on the soapbox anytime.. God bless.

6. Rob

Judy, to be blunt. I'm going to have to go with Santorum only. Records are a funny thing and with a past like Gingrich, I think you get a little bit of everything. I don't disagree with you about Obama. He's a product, sadly, of what our society has become. I honestly expect no less from the democrats. But to answer your question directly, I have to honestly say I don't know. At best I get mixed messages from them all, particularly Gingrich. I would sum up their record as follows: Luck warm on pro-life issues but absolutely horrible on economic issues. Honestly, I think it's pretty bold for the guys who have presided over this mess, and in Gingrich's case, helped usher it in, to even have the gall to run. But I do think I'm having trouble with this "progressive" concept. Are the parties that ushered in the deregulation that led to our financial collapse considered progressives? Honestly I think that is too kind as I think they are terrorist, but I digress.

7. Judy

Rob: Concerning a past post, you did not answer my question, but instead chose to answer me by bringing up Abortion w/Roe v. Rade, and the two parties who have done nothing about it. JoAnn and I answered your question. My question along time ago to you was this: Which Presidential hopeful is Actually Practicing Christ? Which is most Christ-like? Then, if you don't mind, there is a question that I have to ask you regarding Universalism. An article written here, by a concerned Father. Why didn't Obama mention God, let alone Jesus, at the Lighting of the Tree? Does Obama practice Christ? Why did President Putin of Russia, touch or kiss the relic sash of the Virgin Mother? Why does Putin say, "God Bless"? When JoAnn said to look up your Presidential hopefuls to see there record...what they have or have not voted on, she is serious. Rhetoric does not speak...ACTIONS DO. In order to be accountable responsible Catholics, when voting, our Bishops tell us to be informed. Blessings

8. JoAnn

Judy: Thanks, Judy. I just wasn't in the mood for posting. You are right. The "Progressive Era" started with Teddy Roosevelt. One of his heros or should I say heroines was Margaret Sanger. He was quite intrigued with her thoughts on eugenics. She was the female Hitler of that era. Planned Parenthood was supposed to be for creating a superior race. She wanted to rid the country of "minorities" of all kinds. Old Teddy loved her work. I remember McCain saying that his hero was Teddy Roosevelt. From that moment on, I had no use for McCain. It really disgusted me that I had to vote for him in 2008, but he was the lesser of the two evils. Not voting wasn't an option for me. "Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. Not to speak is to speak, not to stand is to stand. God will not hold us guiltless." He gave us this beautiful paradise and like the unwise servant that wasted the talent his master gave him to take care of while he was away, we also, have not taken care of God's wonderful gift and have told Him to get out of our lives. It is such an atrocity to think that all the blood this earth has drank of our brave men and women who have fought for our freedom through the years, can be thrown to the wind by enemies within our own government, who could care less about their sacrifice. God bless.

9. Judy

Welcome Back JoAnn! We've missed you! Your posts are so informing. I do think that there will be an election. But I do agree that this is our last chance! for our country as we know it, or use to know it. I think that is because of a number of things: It didn't happen over night. It's been coming since at least Teddy Roosevelt the First Progressive...and all those we have voted in through the years...plus, your story of the Israelites and Egypt; the comparison was good! Our Nation is a nation losing Touch w/God. Rob, we do not nit pick and point the finger here. (Referring to parties) Yes, the two parties have taken us to where we are today. Both parties however, at times, were dominated by Progressives. May I be bold and go out on a limb? and say that some of them may have began what Father mentioned in his article Universalism? I do know that a number of educated people in the 1800's and on..... converted to this type of thinking via Protestantism via Reformation. JoAnn, you are correct, when you ask those who post to research the person running for office. Look at what they have voted For and Against. Actions SPEAK louder than words. ROB: As you can see my answer to you, this fits in perfectly here. I have already partially answered. I said "nit pick" to you, because that is Only one thing out of many, (Abortion) that Both parties have permitted. NOW, there are so many things economically and globally to keep the world Alive, I feel the only way to have someone even attempt Roe v. Wade, is to have a Catholic Pres. The last Catholic Pres. was before Roe v. Wade. And then, we have the Almighty Judges! So as I said before, the best I can do, is vote my Faith. Blessings.....

10. JoAnn

Hi Everybody: I haven't ben posting but have been reading all of your posts. Vance and Judy have been doing just fine trying to alert you all to what exactly is happening to our country. Vance, my friend, I say this with love. Be a little softer with your comments. You and I are on the same page as far as knowing what is happening to our country, but we need to choose our words more wisely, especially me. I just can't understand why some of you still are not connecting the dots or thinking out of the box. It is not Dems against Repubs. anymore. It's the Republic against Communism. If you all do not want to see this country go down the tubes (and it is very close to it) we all (Liberals & Conservatives) need to link arms and fight for our country. There are no more Democrats. There are only the Progressives and the Conservatives. There are Progressives in both parties that are the cancer killing this nation, that we have to fight. It is the Progressives in both parties that have been dragging their feet on the abortion issue among other things. The parties pointing their finger at each other and playing the blame game is OUR OWN DARN FAULT. We are the idiots that put these people in office. Friends, we are approaching the last ramp to get off of this "Road to Serfdom" and if we blow it in 2012, the Republic is dead. We need to look at the candidates from all angles, get on the government web and research how each candidate voted in the issues that are most important to us as true Christians. What have they fought for? What have they accomplished? And remember, know one is perfect. The new Republicans that we elected are fighting for their souls. The Progressives are trying to co-op them and they need our support and we need to send them more people like them for reinforcement. I believe we are so close to a Dictatorship that I'm not sure there will even be an election in 2012. Obama has strong support from his monetary backers like Soros and the Unions and the majority of Black America, the Hispanics, Planned Parenthood, Wall Street and the younger voters that I believe it will take a miracle from God to get him OUT. We must pray for that miracle. But since this country has thrown God out, I wouldn't put it past Him to inflict a purging on us like we have never seen before. We have turned to other gods. I am reminded of the Israelites in the story of Exodus in the Bible. They did the same thing we have done. They turned away from God and they were slaves to the Egyptians for 400 years. I wouldn't want to see a 400 year purging inflicted on America. For myself, I don't care. I'm an old lady. But my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will have to go through it, and that doesn't sit lightly with me. Friends, instead of pointing fingers at the parties, can we think of more constructive and active ways that we can get the word out to our friends and families and alert them to the difficult times that are ahead and counsel them on how to prepare for the hard times that may be coming our way? God bless you all.