Catholic, Gay, and Feeling Fine, Thanks: Part 1 Comments

The persecution and bigotry from both sides of the issue proceed, partly, from misunderstanding. Steve Gershom's simultaneous Catholicity and SSA are what is so compelling about his message. Ultimately he beautifully illustrates the tension between the beauty of faith and honest acknowledgment of the frail, wounded humanity in which we all live without pretending it does not exist or giving it sway over him. Continue Reading

1. vance

Rob, Calif Governor Moonbeam Brown once described the Clinton Admin as a 'Scandal a Day'. This ultra-corrupt Obama Admin and the Marxist Dem Party is a 'Scandal a Day'. Kennedy, son of the late Robert Kennedy, was paid millions of Taxpayer dollars via Dept of Energy as a grant. Obama is using these government departments as money laundering operations. This is outright theft from the American people. This is why these government departments need to go via next election. I'll add another dept that needs to go - Labor. True to being the criminal Obama is, he just pardoned Illinois drug dealers and jewelry heist thieves from jail. Birds of a feather do flock together.

2. Sonja

Preach it Alice.

3. Alice

Vance, I agree with what you are saying, and I believe that many Catholic Priests are well equipped to manage the questionings of these individuals with compassion, wisdom AND common sense. Where I believe the Church is falling down on this issue is amongst the laity, which is often the place that many people, especially teens, observe the face of the Church. Sadly, if they do not find compassionate support amongst the laity, they are unlikely to approach the priest whom the laity should represent, and often the only place where they DO find a listening ear is amongst the homosexual community. And as you point out, once there, the advice is hardly unbiased. The reason why articles like this one are so important, and engender so much polarised debate is that the Church needs to face up to the fact that in most cases they are failing this group of people in their mission to BE as Christ to them, choosing instead to take the position of the Pharisee, instructing from lofty and self-righteous heights, instead of crouching in the dust beside them.

4. Ann

I love this article. I think it is helpful to all Christians not just Catholics. I will be passing it on to a friend who has this challenge in life.

5. Judy

Alice: Hi! You are correct about the Church's teaching. However, I do agree w/Vance on SSA finding solace and comfort w/a Catholic Priest. I enjoy his comments, "...contrary to Urban Legend..." since you seem to believe the Church is so "out-of-date", and no SSA could possibly find comfort and help there. Steve and Anonymous I think would disagree w/you wholeheartedly. My perception is different than yours, when it comes to 50% of people here crying "sinner". The majority, in my opinion, applaud Steve and Anonymous because they have followed the Church's teaching to which you agree. Did you know? that out-of-date Holy Mother Church, is spending $ on ADULT stem cell research? If not, may I refer you to: Science Serves Life: Vatican Conference Promotes ADULT Stem Cell Research. By: Deacon Keith Fournier @ Catholic Online. Yes my sister, the way is through Jesus Christ whose bride is His Church. Prayers and Blessings...

6. vance

Alice, you have a few good points in your post. I would expect that it would be difficult for someone who has SSA to find a "Neutral, Unbiased" source to discuss his dilemma. A person who has SSA should find solace and comfort in a counseling session with a Catholic Priest. Contrary to urban legend, the priest will not put a crucifix in your face and damn you to hell. He will offer spiritual solutions to what is a serious problem that won't go away with an aspirin and a prayer. When a person is sick, he goes to a doctor not another sick person. The worse thing a person with this problem could do is seek comfort and support from the Homosexual community. All they are going to tell you is that you are just fine. Accept it and roll with it. Jesus Christ is the answer.

7. Rob

vance, I'm not suggesting an either or, but a both/and. Sure the EPA has probably sent some jobs overseas, but whatever that number is pales in comparison to the jobs that have been sent merely to pump up the bottomline. I only hope that our companies are saving a buck by destroying the third world countries they set up shop in. But again, if conservatives put half as much effort in pursuing the moral issues of our day as they do in protecting tax cuts for the wealthy, we would not have abortion. I find it absolutely amazing how they will gladly fail, risk another downgrade and allow the market to spiral out of control because they will tow the line on tax issues. But they can't even stand their ground on defunding planned parenthood? If you don't see the sham they are, I don't know what to tell you. As for you comments about the dems, agreed. I am not looking for them to be anything but morally bankrupt. No arguements there. I don't vote for them. I am merely trying to hold accountable the party I put in office year after year who does nothing but line their own pockets. And if you think that the dems are the only one making money on insider deals, I would ask you to do a study of not only politicians, but all White House offices, particularly from the last administration. It's disgusting that we allow this. And again, not one person will go to jail. In the position I hold in my company, I'm not even allowed to own stock of any company in the sector and I would be imprisoned for what these guys have done. The liberal media, 60 minutes, did a good job exposing that.

8. Alice

Wow, it is so incredible to see so many posts by people who claim to be walking the hard line of the Church, but do not know what the Church actually teaches! The catechism tells us that it is possible for people to be homosexual (that is, to experience deep SSA), but that to act on those feelings is sinful, as intercourse is reserved for a man and a woman who are married. ALL others are called to celibacy. The issue for many people experiencing SSA is, as so correctly pointed out in this very honest and compassionate article, is that they have no safe place to go to discuss this issue. Before they can begin to understand it themselves, they are either having prayer cast over them for deliverence, being told they need to repent or, in the case of approaching a secular counsellor, being asked why they choose to adhere to "out-of-date" church beliefs. There is no safe place for these people to ask questions, there is no safe place for them to discover how and why these feelings came to be. If someone is really struggling with these desires then it is not just a passing fancy, it must be something which returns again and again. Jesus is that safe place, and we as Church are called to be Christ's presence on earth. So the safe place should start here. It is precisely because of the 50%ish of responses which shut their eyes to the genuine suffering and grief of this group and cry "sinner" that their anguish continues. I commend Steve for being able to shoulder his cross and live the Church's REAL teaching with sincerity and commitment.

9. vance

Rob, Conservatism a sham sending jobs overseas???? Really!!! Do you suppose the "Sham" isn't the Marxist Democrat Party's Environmental Protection Agency which regulates businesses out of business or out of the country?? Or, Do you think Obama's Jobs Czar Steven Immelt, CEO of General Electric, just send 3,000+ jobs to China a "Sham"??? Or, maybe Obama's killing the Oil Pipeline from Canada to Louisiana which instantly killed 30,000+ jobs a Sham??? Oh yes, "the Rich" getting special favors. Do you suppose Nancy Pelosi's recent inside IPO trading, that made her millions of dollars, a Sham?? It's funny Rob I don't see a Conservative connection. Yes, Christ is the answer but your Liberal friends disagree. Just ask Tim Teebow, QuarterBack for the Denver Brancos. The Liberal Establish hates the guy because he has the name of Jesus on his jersey. Catholics don't have the courage or conviction to bring people to Christ?? There is a reason for this. And Yes, it is Liberalism once again. The Liberal Establishment will run rough shot over them as they are doing to the Denver Quarterback and the Liberals who dominate the Priesthood can't be bothered by you trying to bring people to Jesus Christ. I see it all the time. I am out there trying to bring people to Jesus in Pro-Life activities. We get minuscule support for our efforts from the Liberal priests in my parish. As a matter of fact, Pro-Life is against their religion unless you're talking about capitol punishment of a heinous murderer. I see where you are active in your parish trying to make good things happen and I applaud you for this.

10. JeanCatherine

Judy

God Bless and many blessings to you as well. I have read some of Gabriel Amorth's work. I also follow Father Jose Antonio Fortea a priest who is expert in the field of demonology. His Book Interview with an Exorcist is excellent. I also have his clips at my sight Jean'sBistro2010's. Please feel free to stop here. It is my laywoman teaching blog which I humbly hope is informative to anyone who wishes to come here or finds it. We always miss out on the Holy Spirit who is part of the trinity. We need to stay close to all three in one. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Again mainy blessings and thank you for your commentary.