A Reflection on Beauty: God's Chosen Gift to Women Comments

Beauty is a cherished gift from God to this broken world.  It gives us a glimpse into the mind of the Creator and reveals His tenderness.  In a unique way, beauty belongs to women.  Is it a mistake to value beauty in a woman?  I say no!  In His affection for His daughters, God bestowed on women the gift of beauty and equipped us to perpetuate beauty. Continue Reading

1. Karen Sayers

Our Blessed Lord must have loved beauty so deeply when he said, "Consider the lilies of the field...." And how much more when He looked upon His Mother who trusting the Father, said her salvific "Yes," knowing full well she could be stoned for being with child before being fully married according to Jewish Law . That particular mystery has always made me wonder why other Christian denominations do not honor and love Mary as we Catholics do. How can one read the Gospels, especially Luke, and believe in Christ, without seeing His Mother--our Mother--as the New Eve, the "prototype of all Christians," and how even Heaven, in the Angel Gabriel, bowed low before her and hailed her as the "highly favored daughter" or "full of grace." Does not the Psalmist say, God has made us "little less than Angels." If the Angels can hail her, that is good enough for me.

Everyone who was blessed to see Our Lady after the Resurrection, could never stop thinking and longing for Her and Her beauty. I recall Bernadette, Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia. Didn't the later call her, "The beautiful Lady."

I heard Audry Hepburn wrote the following, but cannot verify it. Regardless, this is a great reflection.

For attractive lips, Speak words of kindness.

For lovely eyes, Seek out the good in people.

For a slim figure, Share your food with the hungry.

For beautiful hair, Let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.

For poise, Walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; Never throw out anybody.

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm.

As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.

And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows!

2. DLL

Dear Ugly
    If you were physically perfect and desirable so that you could pose as a centerfold for Playboy magazine would that be the ultimate compliment? I think not! Being ugly is a blessing if being beautiful is to be sexually exploited. God has blessed you as you are. In this He has been infinitely wise. Praise God! If you receive Christ in the Eucharist you become a member in the body of Christ. Tell me what could be more beautiful than that! Thank God!

3. JeanCatherine

Ladies

You mention no one looks lovingly at you. You forget two persons.

How about the Blessed Mother and her Son Jesus Christ.

Dont you think they look down lovingly at all of us even the one's who esteem Him not?

Never forget whoever whatever your appearance you are loved by Him and thats more important than anything in this world. He will always love you no matter what.

Let us all ask each other what have we done for Him today in any small way?

4. JeanCatherine

Also Ugly

I must be ugly in the eyes of the public and this is surprising because Im not a half bad looking spinster myself.

Ive always been a conversationalist and Ive found people who are not the most attractive peope but are interesting to talk to and if possible when they let their guard down for a little while I see something in their spirit.

So skin deep isnt everything in this world. If we could get past the skin deep stuff and reflect in our lives about who we truly are and guard against the negative weakness in ourselves perhaps we will be "blind" to this business of the skin "beauty".

Most people I find interesting are the ones who arent the so called "beautiful people" in the world.

I recommend someone to you to ponder. She was not beautiful---She was Blessed Margaret of Castello, she was a dwarf and blind and her parents abandoned her because of what she looked like.

Humbly speaking look her up. We are never to abandon anyone for any reason. Let us count what our blessings are always. Never forget our Lord was also rejected on all accounts. His appearance was esteemed not by anyone.

I guess were all in good company regardless of what we look in the eyes of the Lord.

God Bless.

5. Also Ugly

Not all of us were given this gift of beauty of which the writer is boasting.
    I agree with Ugly's comments: -

"No one has ever looked lovingly at me from aloft and pondered the beauty of the universe. So for the ugly who can only wonder how it must be to be thought of as beautiful, how is this a gift?"

At least in your case, you found a husband. Some of us and our ugly faces are entering senior spinsterhood.

6. Sonja

Jen, this is my favorite of yours EVER! Ugly is as ugly does, to paraphrase someone pithy and philosophical. Awesome!

7. JeanCatherine

When will we see beauty and love inside our hearts, minds and spiritual selves which will reflect toward others?

Make any sense?????

8. DLL

My Mother was the centrepiece of our family. She died at age 88 in 2006. She was religious with an inward sanctity about her nature. As her son I would violate that inner beauty of hers,disturbing it when I acted badly. It was pure torture for me to do this to her as she was the very essence of love herself as the beautiful sense of her nature inspired all those who knew her. She was fun. She could take a boring and meaningless day and make it a fulfilling one. She in the fullest sense of her feminity was a pure treasure. My Father adored her. They were married for 66years when she died. My Father is 93 and still full of vitality. He took care of my mother in her later years as she became increasingly more sickly. He cherished her beyond today's sense of loves understanding and commitment that married couples have for each other. My Dad is lonely without her but she made him strong and full of vitality to this very day. My Father like my Mother is cherished Friend for me as Son. They can never die as they will remain with me forever in my heart now and forever. The love of God made me love them both all the more. Women are beautiful like a Church wonderfully decorated. Men are beautiful when they are like the Pope presiding over Mass as they by their presence make a family for God a stable one. The right hand takes care of the left and vice versa that is as it should be in the relations between men and woman. One is not more beautiful than the other really as it is when they work in unison and lovingly together that their true beauty is seen to be appreciated by all. Such were my mother and father as they lived their lives together. Praise be to God! As God! Being with them,my parents! And I as long time son,they were inspiring me as well! As I remember and write this memo to all who may read it! Men and woman show their true beauty to family and friends,age changes physical beauty,inner beauty is cultivated though ones ageing,as God is the inner light if all let it shine inwardly and outwardly. That love never dies! It is our beauty from God! Even after death,love is still tangible for all who love simply and honestly,in purity,strength and in commitment forever to ones memory,that love is everything,as love is all,because God in all is love,as shared by all,as the true beauty,in us all as forever remembered,forever shared. Amen! For A baby beauty begins when they first gaze upon the face of their mother. Bonding? I have to admit it starts with the beauty of a Mothers gaze on their newborn. Really! Look at any woman's face it is recognisable for any baby that grows accustomed to it and it is truly loved forever as beautiful. Maternity is why women are so beautiful even through a lifetime.

9. Celine

Dear Ugly, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If you are married your husband surely saw something in you which may not be something physical.
    My husband always says I'm the most beautiful woman in the world, I wish I was but I know I'm not so don't take it to heart. Everyone has their own opinion.
    God Bless

10. Mary

To the woman who refers to herself as Ugly:
    Your challenge is to let your inner beauty shine through and transform your physical body. It can be done.
    When I was around 12 I attended a sleepover camp in the PA mountains, and two of the most popular guys there were brothers who both had visibly distorted lips from harelip surgery. This was in the 60s, so the surgery wasn't as seamless as it is today.

Their parents had taught them to be kind to others; not subservient and apologetic,but genuinely kind ,humble and thoughtful to others, and they were. Being so actually made them look attractive,such that the guys respected them, while the girls all wanted to go out with them. No one had a mean word to say about them.This was,obviously, many years ago, and I still think about them to this day.

I've also met women that were,to be honest, quite homely and didn't wear makeup, do their hair or anything, but their deep love of God inspired them to dvelop a Godly character. Between being pleasant to be around, the light of the Holy Spirit shone on their faces rendering them beautiful.

Please don't give up and don't let anyone berate you either.