A Reflection on Beauty: God's Chosen Gift to Women Comments

Beauty is a cherished gift from God to this broken world.  It gives us a glimpse into the mind of the Creator and reveals His tenderness.  In a unique way, beauty belongs to women.  Is it a mistake to value beauty in a woman?  I say no!  In His affection for His daughters, God bestowed on women the gift of beauty and equipped us to perpetuate beauty. Continue Reading

1. Joni Johnson

Thank you for this article...it is so true...

Along that same line, this is an excellent resource:

2. Keith

Jennifer,
    I read your article when it first appeared on Catholic Online and I've been thinking about it ever since. Recently, I finished reading through the books of Judith and Esther. In both cases God used these women to save Israel from their enemies and He did it most prominently because they were beautiful in appearance. As you allude to, it was their beauty that was uniquely theirs and the reason why they were effective in accomplishing what they did.

I think you are on to something here and I would encourage you to continue thinking on ways this topic can be further developed. Your Christian Sisters need more of this perspective and I don't think it would hurt the guys to think more of what true beauty means either.

3. JeanCatherine

A Man

So did the male saints stare elsewhere. By the way thanks for doing that. It means your modest when it comes to practicing your modesty and respect for women when you look away.

One saint I believe at court was being tempted by the ladies.

4. A Man

Jen: Oh come now; let's be reasonable. I often find myself having to stare at the floor during Mass lest I look up some young woman's skirt. Commonly this piece of "clothing" is in some instance so short that it doesn't reliably cover undergarments when walking or standing, much less sitting. Thank you circular worship spaces. And, oh by the way I didn't come to Mass to see "you" - my fellow parishioner. I came to participate in Holy Mass. Bring back pews. Then, if the "ladies" would like to come in their undies I needn't be bothered - nor would anyone else.

5. JeanCatherine

arabella

Have you seen the sight PPVI on the website?? (Pope Paul VI Institute)

Check it out.

6. JeanCatherine

excuse my poor spelling above.

7. JeanCatherine

DLL

Im well aware of this DLL but with all due respect cant hurt to give Catholic Modesty website.

I still see some men and women dress respectfully for church (This should be our hint to do so also after all these few are giving us good models to follow.) and your right it has been this mentality thats why I encourse us all to start revisiting our Catholic roots.

I respect the poor that go to church in some of the poorest countries in the world.

I read one where the children were given beautiful dresses and Im sure the boys were given beautiful clothes as well.

They wore their regular clothes which were probably poor looking and when they got to church they put those beautiful clothes on for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Having grown up coming throught the crazy days of the church I hope that I learn and model these children to dress well before our King.

These children I hope will find love, compassion and place before the King in His Kingdom. I can only hope that I will to.

Hope others see this to and pay close attention.

Im sure if that is all we have to wear Im sure our Lord wont mind as long as its our best.

8. DLL

Jean Catherine with all due respect some women dress for Church like they were going the a Walmart where they knew the air conditioning failed on a very humid 98 degree day,but the sale that they had that day was worth it. Modesty is not the order of the day. Dressing in good taste is not a part of the upbringing of many. In these times it is a generation where they were encouraged by a hippie generation to let it all hang out,Literally. When women dress well they generally are and feel pretty. Men feel better when they dress well also. This is a dungarees and t shirt generation in Church and out of it.

9. JeanCatherine

Jen

God Bless you Jen but humbly speaking women of Catholicism can dress in a wise and comely manner before God.

We can dress modestly.

SEE: http://www.catholicmodesty.com/

10. Jen

Bah humbug! Cover all women in niqabs and burqas!! Their beauty must be hidden from men...
    And if you are a nice, godly woman, you will heed the religious authorities in Saudi Arabia, who said that women should be discouraged from wearing eye makeup under their niqabs.
    Give them reasons to hide their womanly beauty.