Blessed Bartolo Longo: The Ex-Satanist On the Path to Sainthood Comments

He consecrated the world, entrusting it to Mary's hands, offering the Blessed Virgin a golden rose. In his homily, Benedict XVI likened Bartolo Longo to St Paul of Tarsus, who also initially persecuted the Church, described Bartolo as being "militantly anticlerical and engaging in spiritualist and superstitious practices". Continue Reading

1. James
    6 months ago

A very moving story indeed! It's a redemtion story that can inspire even those caught in their own darkest times. Truly the story of the Ressurection shows us that even in our darkest hour God is with us and that He always triumphs over even the darkest ignorance and untruth. This article is very good except for one thing: the damaging and incorrect use of the term "New Age". The use of the phrase "New Age" and Satanism in the same sentence seems to me a bit of a misunderstanding. It's my understanding that many types of belief systems that one might consider "New Age" actually in our age contain people devoted to belief in the One God. In fact, many Christian Gnostic type traditions might have fallen into this category, along with Christian Mystics and any other traditions concerned with the direct contact with the true spiritual knowledge and gnosis that Jesus taught Himself. Truly the terms "New Age", "Gnostic" and "Mystic" truly need to be defined and understood clearly for one to realize that lumping them alongside the words "Satanism", and "heresy" is not their true and appropriate context. In the same way that all electronic music is often mislabeled "techno", these terms are used by those who don't truly understand them as blanket terms, or as a misused and misunderstood adjective or label. This is simply a mistake and reflects an inacurrate understanding of the taxonomy of the lesser understood taproot offshoots of the Tree of Life and Christianity. While Jesus' life, teachings, and gospels all point us to the very same truth at the heart of Gnosticism, and Mysticism, the more orthodox parts of the Church tend to place them off to the side, or in some corner with vague, misunderstood, or even in the case of this article: diametrically opposed traditions such as Satanism. Only when one has searched through what these types of "New Age" traditions have to offer does one realize that they seek to awaken One to the ultimate truth of an intimate personal experience of God, and the True Unity of All that Is.

2. bill mitchell

I READ THE STORY OF BLESSED BARTOLO ONCE BEFORE WHEN I WAS IN LIVING IN A MONASTERY IN SPAIN. NOW THAT I AM BACK WORKING FOR THE GOOD LORD IN WORLD, i HAVE JUST BEING GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT HIS SHRINE NEXT MONTH. What a truly inspiring story of how true devotion to our blessed mother can lead to one life like Bartolo being totally transformed to service for her son.

3. Valerie

Thank you for this wonderful article! I've been looking for more information on Bl. Bartholomew's life for about a year, and this article really helps as I am working to promote devotion to Bl. Bartholomew and promote him for sainthood. I love his life story, proving that there is no point at which we are too far gone for Christ to bring us back!

Blessed Bartholomew Longo, pray for us!

4. Blake

Great story

5. owie

Blessed Bartolo Longo, pray for us.

6. JeanCatherine

Amen. There is hope today. I pray were all work toward sainthood someday.

7. supremeconscience

St Rose of Lima, perhaps. God bless you. May she pray for you and me. Amen.

8. Johnny

I first heard about this story from the book Exorcisms and the Church Militant. Awesome story!

9. Troy

Thank you for the article.

10. Uche Onwuka

This story is wonderfully encouraging and also inspiring.May the Blessed Bartolo's story inspire other satanists to retrace their steps to God and more easily through Mary.