Michele Bachmann Should Not 'Get a Pass' on Past Membership in Anti-Catholic Church Comments

During the last election, a question was raised about then candidate Barack Obama concerning his membership in a Church body which espoused Anti-Americanism. Will some of those same people ask this candidate, whom they seem to agree with on issues, about her affiliation with a Church body which espoused overt Anti-Catholicism? Continue Reading

1. mgm.

Frank Hamm.When did right -wing saint President Ronald Reagan as example ever show any great love for any church? The only time he was ever caught as President at church was Christmas,Easter and state funerals that he could'nt get out of by sending his vice-president in his place to.I voted for him twice I guess I've forgotten ,refresh my memory what was it he did to stop abortion? Concrens about Romney's mormonism could be put to rest by him if he would answers questions about it honestly rather then immeditately trying to deflect attention away from his beliefs when asked by the now standard reply use by mormon ( celebrities,VIPs and president want to be's)"Oh
    there just alot of misunderstanding out there just like back when with JFK 's Catholicism.then tryi to change the subject.

2. Texas Blooz

I am truly impressed with your credentials, and I can only hope that I see an article or maybe you can provide me with an existing article, addressing similar concerns about the sitting President's 20 years of participation in a church where the Pastor is clearly Anti-American and by some definitions Anti-Christian.

Given your clear and provocative article on how this should be of concern before electing a public official, in the interest of intellectual honesty.... please enlighten me as to you thoughts and opinions on that subject.

After all God does truly honor those of well thought out and steadfast character that speaks truthfully.. Right? Keith.... Keith

3. Pat

Let's just ask Michele Bachmann - what she thinks about the Holy Father. The largest anti-Catholic group in the USA is 'former Roman Catholics' (not her former church)! Let's work at bringing ALL people home to Holy Mother our Church.

Thank you for being a Deacon - right in the Sanctuary! Please pray for us -at: "look not on our sins but on the faith of your Church."

Thank you again for being a Deacon - the closer you get to Jesus Christ - the more you suffer (One of the mysteries of our Faith).

4. MPS

Protestantism by its very nature is anti-Catholic. Period. All the rest is obfuscation or rationalism, no matter how it is cloaked.

In Christ,

5. Bob

OK,so what is the difference between Obama attending Rev. Wright's church and Bachmann attending a WELS church. The primary difference I see is that the Rev. Wright publicly preached his hatred of America and Jews to the congregation, in which Obama sat, on a regular basis to the accolades of his congregation. Though not Wisconsin Synod, I do not understand this theological point never was mentioned publicly at her church.

The second difference is that the media did its best to bury the story about Obama, but will cover this repeatedly.

6. Caroline

Michele Bachmann will be a bigger defender of our faith than the Catholic in name only politicians who enthusiastically support social issues that are destructive
    to society and are not supported by Catholic teachings. To say President Obama
    was not given a pass concerning Rev. Wright is laughable.

7. Frank Hann

It is saddening to me I see these types of concerns arising about Romney's Mormonism . Is this one more college try to eaplain away Presidents Obama's pro- abortion stances and when has he shown any love for the Church or any Church for that matter except when it suits his image. God bless Frank Hann

8. Bryan

I was received into the Church at the Easter Vigil of 2002. Before that, I was raised under the shadow of Bob Jones University which holds as one of its "favorite friends" Ian Paisley of Northern Ireland ... a man who while in British Parliament screamed out to all those in attendance "The Pope is the Antichrist". Through all my years of fundamentalism, I've often heard such Anti- Catholic statements, but was content to stay in the churches I attended for the "fellowship" and for other doctrinal matters that I agreed with. I did indeed have suspicions about the Catholic Church and whether Catholics were "saved" and even had grave suspicions when I learned that Protestant friends were dating or marrying Catholics. At the time I wondered if they were engaging in "unequal yokes with unbelievers". Yet, there was always something in me, whenever my Dad happened to have Jimmy Swaggart on television (who because of his charismatic beliefs was also not accepted by the Bob Jones University crowd) and he was railing against the Church ... always something in me that recoiled at the Ian Paisley's most hateful statements about the Catholic Church, that eventually led me to look into the matter. The Protestant attitude on most all matters is that they can never know what the Bible teaches for certain, but ultimately can only make their best guess and align themselves with the group or groups which agrees with their own interpretation on as many points as possible. In dozens of conversations I've had since with former classmates and former "pew-mates", this has been reaffirmed to me. To them, a congregation is like a political party. They join the one that fits their own interpretation the best in spite of the teaching that private interpretation of Sacred Scripture is condemned. What is needed from Michele Bachmann in this case is a statement that she never has felt quite comfortable with the teachings on the Catholic Church whenever she heard them (if indeed she did hear them) from her own congregation's pulpit.

9. Padre

Deacon, if a Church, or ecclesial community in this case, is like a family then there are always going to be members of the family who hold opinions you do not, its true in the Church as it is in this denomination. The difference being that the Catholic Magisterium is guaranteed inerrancy. I think we need to judge an individual not by those she prays with but by her actions, especially since for many protestants today doctrine is not the key reason for choosing a "church." Maybe it was closest to her home, or had a "hip" worship style, maybe they were supportive of her numerous foster children, what ever the reason for her membership Rep Bachmann has to the best of my knowledge never suggested that she is anti-Catholic and in fact decried
    it, and in her lifestyle is in fact promoting what JPII called the Culture of Life more than most Catholics. This issue raised with the president is not just the company he kept but that one could interpret his actions and policies as at least tepidly agreeing with their positions. If there is evidence that Bachmann agrees with this very old anti-catholic position then we have something to talk about, but to the best of my knowledge that is not the case.

10. James

I've met Michele Bachmann; I am also a practicing Catholic who has attended services at a Wisconsin Synod church. I walked away from both experiences in a positive frame of mind. I'm sure, like most of the people in the room at the WSC services I attended, Michele Bachman probably never went to the official webpage of the synod, let alone read the synod's stance on the Papacy. How many Catholics go to the Vatican website or have read the Cathecism. Heck, many Catholics to this day believe the Immaculate Conception is the virgin birth of our Lord. In fact, it appears that once Bachmann discovered her church's stance, she and her family stopped attending. (Her pastor states she has not attended services there for over 2 years.)

Personally, I actually find the subtle pro-choice stance on the mainstream ECLA more offensive and a greater barrier to ecumenical cooperation than the WSC's anti-pope one-liner. For isn't being anti-catholic at the heart of being protestant? What do you think they're "protestant" again? However, the heart of being pro-choice is to be anti-Christ.