Michele Bachmann Should Not 'Get a Pass' on Past Membership in Anti-Catholic Church Comments

During the last election, a question was raised about then candidate Barack Obama concerning his membership in a Church body which espoused Anti-Americanism. Will some of those same people ask this candidate, whom they seem to agree with on issues, about her affiliation with a Church body which espoused overt Anti-Catholicism? Continue Reading

1. Deacon Keith Fournier

To John: I have writen extensively concerning unfaithful and anti-Catholic Catholics John and agree they should concern all of us. We must expose and oppose their errant actions.... and pray for their conversion and return to truth. However, this is not an "either/or" matter but a "both/and". The question is simple. Did she belong to this virulently Anti-Catholic Church with knowledge of its claims up until last year? If so, she needs to respond. She is leading in the polls and, as a Catholic, this matters to me. I think it matters to others as well, including people who are not Catholic. Thanks for writing.

2. john

It's not Michelle Bachman that concerns me..I find Andrew Cuomo,Joe Biden,Nancy Pelosi and the countless other so called "Catholic" politicians who have openly thumbed their nose at the Church and it's teachings and disregarded their faith for votes that worry me.It is these who are doing the real damage.Afterall..all protestants are pretty much anti-Catholic in some form or other..at least in their views as to what they percieve our beliefs to be.But the Catholic politician who supports and helps promote destructive and harmful policies and laws that offend common sense and the laws of God are the real enemy.I personally would vote for Michelle Bachman over any of the above mentioned politicians any day.To them I ask the biblical question..what good is it to gain the whole world yet lose your soul?

3. Theresa

While I doubt Michelle Bachmann is any more anti-Catholic than most protestants (otherwise, they'd all become Catholic), I don't have a problem with the question being posed to her. (Maybe, if we e-mail Bill O'Reilly and/or Sean Hannity?) In any case, she wouldn't be my first choice for President and I doubt she would get the votes--There are others "as good as it gets...." In a big nutshell, I believe that the criteria for the Presidency should be first whether the candidate is capable of dealing with matters pertaining to the Office. And, then, he/she needs to pass the "litmus test" = is he/she pro-LIFE? If he/she doesn't pass the latter "test," then the former is to no avail at all!

4. vance

Should Michelle Bachmann get a pass? Good question. You state that Michelle Bachmann is a 'Former Member' of this Lutheran Church. If Michelle Bachmann is anti-Catholic and felt strongly about it, I doubt that she would quit her religion. But Protestantism is at its base anti-Catholic otherwise there is no justification for there existance. We Catholics are idolaters who worship statues and pictures. We pray to Mary like she is God. Yes, many Protestants say they are not anti-Catholic they just believe we are misguided. I take the same approach as Bill Donohue. You state that Michelle Bachmann stated that she is not anti-Catholic. She quit the church of Joshua Green and states that she is not anti-Catholic. I'm not having a problem with that. Michelle Bachmann so far has shown that she is a better Catholic than some priests I know. She publicly signed a Declaration to defend the Holy Sacrament of Marriage. We have Bishops and priests who won't do that. Manhattan Declaration anyone? She has been publicly unapologetic Pro-Life and has participated in Pro-Life activities. We have many Bishops and priests who won't do that. So far, I'm not having a problem with Michelle Bachmann.

5. Dan

"St Reformed," the Church's anathemas at the Council of Trent were not undone by the Second Vatican Council. Protestantism, by its definition, is a philosophy of "protest" against some or all Catholic teaching. The word "heresy" comes from the Greek word meaning "I choose." The definition of the word "heretic," therefore, is someone who chooses to believe something other than what Holy Mother Church teaches. By this definition, Lutherans are heretics (and I'm married to one, so I don't say that out of ill will). If Lutherans believed what the Church teaches, they'd be Catholics. They choose not to, and are therefore heretics. That doesn't mean we don't love them, pray for them, respect them, and urge them to come home, all of which the Second Vatican Council did.

6. Larry

Conservative denominations do not lightly modify historical church documents. Catholics should be especially understanding of this. The Wisconsin Synod is a small organization trying not to yield to modern notions of what is proper. Luther's movement could potentially have taken place within the larger church, but the secular politics of the time (and perhaps Luther's personality) didn't make that possible. Maybe Vatican leadership has some blame. In any case, a member of a single parish of that church in a small state didn't create the language and history of our churches' divisions. Anti-conservative forces (of which Catholics should beware) will use any church's historical documents to tar religious people as anti-modern, anti-progressive, and unfit for representative office. As a case in point, the federal government is trying to impose secular hiring policies on Catholic universities that are not run by the Church hierarchy (which includes most schools that are run by religious orders). Do not fall for this divide and conquer nonsense.

7. Tim

I disagree. I feel like she is the best candidate to step forward so far. Do we expect a Catholic candidate to step forward? Who is a good candidate? I don't see anyone better than her so far.

8. Doc G

Not for nuthin', but, directly above the "Rate This Article" header is an ad that says, "Like Michele Bachmann? Then Join Michele's Grassroots Movement Today." Someone in her campaign knows to advertise here. Personally, I'd be very disappointed (and not just a little bit surprised) if she buys into the antichrist jive. We just had a priest transferred out of the parish who was extremely liberal. The Sunday before the 2008 election, he told us that when we vote, not to vote on someone just because he was pro life - as long as you're not voting because of the pro abortion stance, you're good to go. In other words, "vote for Obama." Two weeks before, on Pro Life Sunday, his sermon was on....ready....drum roll....Bullying! Twenty minutes on the evil of bullying. Actually, not a bad sermon on bullying. So good, in fact, that I recall thinking that if he was as milquetoast in grammar school as he is today about abortion, I'll bet (God forgive me) he was getting beaten up every day! But, Pro Life Sunday is about abortion (and, yes, I know some bishops have padded it with the likes of bullying and child abuse, etc., but it's supposed to be about abortion.) Anyway, the point is I went to his Masses because he was the priest, and even a milquetoast can confect the eucharist. And. still and all, I kind of liked him. Maybe this is Michele's situation. As long as her priest isn't harping on the Holy Father all the time. Who knows, if and when he does mention it, maybe she just rolls her eyes and thinks, "God, not this again, can't he just let it go." Get an answer from her and let it be. By the way, I can't help but think that if there were any real meat to this, that bulldog Donohue would have a big hunk of it in his jaws. Yep, the Popes bulldog. Man, I love that guy.

9. Ankenyman

This will probably hurt her some with Catholics. I like Rep. Ryan's ideas on the budget and other issues. There is excellent Catholic commentary on this at http://www.catholicurrent.com/​#/.

10. St Reformed

"As Martin Luther grew in his appreciation of the gospel; he also grew in his recognition that the Papacy is the Antichrist. They [the WELS] then claim that belief as their own."
    It is most unfortunate that positions statements like that ---a holdover from the theological polemics of the 16th century---are allowed to inflame and divide us today. I would venture to said that the vast majority of Lutherans in the pews today would be embarrassed by that statement. (This may explain Rep. Bachmann's departure from the Wisconsin Synod.)
    Sadly, the current runs in both directions. Michael Voris, a self-proclaimed and incendiary discerner of "the truth", considers the terms "Lutheran" & "heretic" as synonymous. Sad.
    Before we spoil whatever good fruit was produced by Vatican II and the JDDJ, let us all resolve to cease and desist!