Michele Bachmann Should Not 'Get a Pass' on Past Membership in Anti-Catholic Church Comments

During the last election, a question was raised about then candidate Barack Obama concerning his membership in a Church body which espoused Anti-Americanism. Will some of those same people ask this candidate, whom they seem to agree with on issues, about her affiliation with a Church body which espoused overt Anti-Catholicism? Continue Reading

1. TaylorKH

Dear Deacon Fournier - I believe that you have a legitimate concern and I am behind you in determining Ms. Bachman's intentions and in praying that she will understand and truly accept that the Pope is NOT the anti-Christ.

To espouse a belief (by membership) for many years and only just now, in the midst of political positioning, distancing oneself from that belief begs the question. You are right to ask.

Thank you for keeping us informed in this way.

2. Bulbajer

My understanding of the definition of anti-Catholic is more narrow than just opposition to the Church. Anti-Catholics specifically devote time, energy, and doctrine to opposing Catholicism. Also, unlike simple non-Catholics, they are not open to dialogue. Under this definition, most Protestants would not be anti-Catholic. Most fundamentalists and some Evangelicals would be. I hope Rep. Bachmann makes it clear she is not one of those groups.

3. susan L

Dear Deacon
    Nancy pelosi,kennedys, and soOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on.I have LESS respect for these so called catholics, than I could ever have for so called anti catholics.

4. Rudy

Did we give a pass to all the past presidential candidates and presidents (except for John Kennedy?). Give me a break, this is a non-issue.

5. mikem

Since we only have TWO STINKING PARTIES...the Republicans HAD BETTER come up with someone able to defeat Obama. That's all there is to it. The whole thing right there. Nothing else. SO WHO'S IT GOING TO BE ALREADY!

6. mary

Sorry, but most Protestants and evangelical churches are rooted in the concept of the Pope as anti-christ, even if they don't teach it any more. But many many of them do,. Even in those that don't, scratch the surface in any given member, and you will find that belief. I don't think someone from Minnesota who belonged to a Lutheran church need to be held accountable for such a belief, because members of Protestant denominations don't feel bound to hold the beliefs of their denominations, even should they know about them...which they often don't. This whole issue is a red herring designed to hurt Bachmann, and she should get a pass.

7. amdg

res IPSA loquitur, Rev. Deacon. Also, I think someone brought up an interesting reply: what about the Founding Fathers' "anti-Catholicism", some more strenuous than others?

8. Noelle

How many so-called Catholics serve in Congress? Mrs. "good Catholic" Pelosi is a perfect example. How about the former Kenedy? How about all of the Kenedy family? These "Catholics" are on the wrong side of all socially conservative issues that firm Christians stand for: homosexual acts and abortion to top the list.

I would be overjoyed to find a conservative practising Roman Catholic to run for President. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Let's be honest: Regardless of her association with her Church, her stance on the issues support the official teachings of the Catholic Church, something that is not coming from the present "Catholics" in Congress. Give her a chance to clarify her position. I can guarantee you she won't disappoint you.

9. elcid

I think this article is overblown...as long as she enspouses christian virtures and morality, and believes in the constitution, why does it matter if she believes the Pope is the anti-christ, if that's even the case...would you not vote for a pious jew or muslim who had the same moral and political views as yourself but of course does not think that Jesus is the son of God, I would vote for such a person.
    It's this sort of nip picking of Republican candidates that got us the anti-christ that is currently in the white house.

10. Fr. Ralph Caley OSB/OHI

I don't know enough about Mr. Green to be critical, but during these political times I exercise caution in judging their motive(s), sometime considering the possibility they are doing nothing more than stirring up the waters of descent or attempting to divide or split away voters from a candidate they themselves consider too conservative.
    Just a thought.