Michele Bachmann Should Not 'Get a Pass' on Past Membership in Anti-Catholic Church Comments

During the last election, a question was raised about then candidate Barack Obama concerning his membership in a Church body which espoused Anti-Americanism. Will some of those same people ask this candidate, whom they seem to agree with on issues, about her affiliation with a Church body which espoused overt Anti-Catholicism? Continue Reading

1. Rob

Noelle, you hit the nail on the head. The GOP better not wait too long to get behind someone or they are going to blow it. If they can't win this election they just need to pack it in. I too like a lot of what she has to say. I'm already a no go with Santorum. I'm not voting for anyone who was DC for as long as he was (GOP or DEM) and did nothing to prevent this fiscal tragedy. I hope he is not the candidate because I won't vote for him. I will truely have to sit this one out. I'm not playing this silly game anymore of sending folks back who have already failed or failed to prevent tragedy. I'm not picking them because they are the only choice.

2. Mark

After having carefully read the article, along with the applicable sections of the WELS doctrinal statement (http://www.wels.net/about-wels/doctrinal-statements/antichrist?page=0,0), I note that the sections identifying the "(specific) Pope is the antichrist" were quotes from Luther's writings, not the stated position of the WELS. The stated position of the WELS (on page 8 of the document cited above) is: "We thereby affirm that we identify this "Antichrist" with the Papacy as it is known to us today"

There is a distinction. Identification of a specific individual (Paul III, John Paul II, Benedict XVI) as "the Antichrist" or "an Antichrist" would be a hugely anti-Catholic position. But identification of (the office of) the papacy as "this Antichrist" is just Protestant. No matter how polite and ecumenical any Protestant body is, if they believed, as we do, that the Papacy was established by Christ and that the Pope was the Vicar of Christ, they would quit being Protestant and "swim the Tiber."

Frankly, WELS is a lot more blunt about it than many other Protestant bodies. But there is no Protestant body out there that believes that the Pope is Christ's vicar (with the level of obedience in the Catholic Church, there are few enough of us who really believe it either, aren't there?).

You need to read what the group wrote, not what some slime-slinging mainstream media outlet tries to generate.

3. Tim

I commented earlier and I'll comment again. Deacon, who is this candidate you consider your number 1? Who is better than Bachmann right now?

The Catholic Church supports a separation of Church and state. This is to protect religious freedom which is a fundamental right of all citizens in the United States. This separation ends on social and moral issues such as sanctity of marriage, abortion, etc. which is when our beliefs enter the political spectrum as they are natural laws. Michelle Bachmann is in line with these moral and social beliefs. But she doesn't have to be a Catholic, for me to vote for her. That is making the claim that she doesn't have religious freedom in regards to my vote.

Also, I'd like to point something out from an earlier comment on voting for pro-abortion candidates and a claim about liberal priests. The comment said that it is a sin to vote for any pro-abortion candidate, and that it is liberal to say that it is only a sin if you vote for that candidate because they are pro-abortion. Thats not a liberal thought, thats a fact. A Catholic can vote for a pro-abortion candidate as long as they're not doing it because the candidate is pro-abortion, and this would not be a sin. It may be frowned upon by many, but it is NOT a sin.

4. Christina

I just hope this issue doesn't split the vote, as in the 2008 election.

5. Oldtimer

Jesus gave us a litmus test for discernment. By their fruit you shall know them.
    Michelle Bachmann has born good fruit.

6. Pamela

Thank you for this article. I, too, am concerned about this, as I was horribly concerned about Obama's previous pastor/church. It goes to one’s judgment and motivations, if nothing else. Just as Obama only severed ties with Wright after the story blew up, I would hate to think that Michelle Bachmann only left her church for political expedience, but the timing of it (only a year ago) would suggest that. No doubt she/someone on her political team realized that the anti-Catholic stance would not do her any favors in a run for the White House. That bothers me, even though I'm well aware Protestants by their very nature are at least wary of the Church. Most seem to at least temper their anti-Catholic views. Anyway, that all being said, even without his church affiliations, Obama was so egregiously anti-Catholic in his actions/beliefs/voting record that I could never have voted for him in a million years. His statements and vote on the BAIPA alone were all I needed to learn of him. Michelle Bachmann, on the other hand, seems to share my views nearly to a tee, otherwise. I like her very much and would definitely vote for her, though she is also not my first choice. Unfortunately, my first choice isn't Catholic either, and actually is a fallen away Catholic, if the reports are correct. Alas, no one is perfect! But regardless, my sincere hope is that this will be addressed and that in doing so, Michelle will reexamine her beliefs, learn the Truth of the Church, and come to find her way home to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, founded upon the rock of Peter by Jesus, Himself. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can read the Bible and not see it, but there are millions blinded to the Truth. Pray for them. They separate themselves from Christ Truly Present in the Holy Eucharist. It is beyond tragic. So, for Michelle’s own sake, I hope it is addressed. Not to hurt her politically (which I do not believe the deacon is at all trying to do), but to open her heart. There really are more important things than politics.

7. MH

I think this is a non-issue. I agree with some posters here who note that one should check with the motives of the writer of the original article in The Atlantic. It's highly dubious that Mrs. Bachmann has some deeply held anti-Catholic agenda. She is conservative on all the life and family issues. We have more to worry about with many of our own Catholic politicians who outclass in the category of advancing anti-Catholic legislation.

Is the Atlantic writer equally as concerned with the clear and present threat to Catholicism - Marxism-secularism as state religion? Surely there are plenty of politicians who openly advance this cause.

8. Stephen Cush

I too think that this issue deserves a response. But I do take issue with the notion that this matter is equally distrubing as that of Mr. Obama's church. Reverend Wright spoke his hatred for whites, republicans, the wealthy, etc. directly from the pulpit on a regualar basis. I don't see any evidence that the pastor of Mrs. Bachmann's church preached that the Pope was the anti-christ. If he did, and she sat in the pew on a regular basis, that would rise to the level of Obama's situation. That the synod had such a view regardng the Pope is no indication that her local church shared the notion. Protestants typically have much less allegiance to the synod than we in the Cathcolic Church have for Rome or our local bishop. I look forward to her response.

9. Sandy

Not sure why my comments aren't being accepted so I will make it very short. Only one question for Keith Fournier. What do you think of Gov. Cuomo living with someone outside of marriage?

10. Proto1

Get serious. How thin skinned can you be? If you looked at some popes of the past even Catholics would agree that some of them fit the bill of an anti-Christ.