New York Legislature Undermines True Marriage, Family, Society and the Common Good Comments

This issue has been framed as upholding marriage equality. This is not the case since one of the principal purposes of marriage is to bring new life into the world. This cannot happen in same-sex marriage. It is not a civil rights issue, but rather a human rights issue upholding the age-old understanding of marriage.Republicans and Democrats equally share responsibility for this ruinous legislation and we as Catholics should hold all accountable ... Continue Reading

1. Tim

You holier than thou is showing again. Because you and only you know that marriage was made by God then you are the correct ones to define it. Sorry marriage is a man made institution and it can change and should change. Your religious concept of marriage I can respect but keep it in your religion. Don't try to profess that all must follow your standards due to your superior knowledge that your God defines it. Leave us alone and follow your own path.

2. Thomas

Shame on the Bishops! Today while being proud of my home State of New York and for the legislature for doing what is right for its citizens, I am equally ashamed of being a Catholic. Mother Church needs to stay out of politics and begin to clean up it's own house first before starting to pass judgement! I am now happy that two members of my family will now be able to marry who they both want to marry and I will be there, and my entire family, to support them. Christ taught compassion and love - not hatred.

3. Max

Interesting that the person who wrote this article refused to put their own name on it. Embarrassed? You should be.

What many on the right wing fail to understand is that this battle is already over, and the right wing lost. National polls put marriage equality at over 50% favored by Americans. It's only a matter of time before equality is a nationally recognized right.

Also, every time a bishop or a catholic pundit gets on TV and laments the legalization of equal marriage as a calamity, they should remember something: That video clip will stay available forever. 10 years from now, when marriage equality is far more widely recognized in America and in the rest of the world, that video will exist and it will be used from time to time to de-legitimize the positions of the catholic church. You're creating a future liability. I'm fine with that, but I wanted you all to know what you're doing so you can understand it and regret it later.

4. Julie

Wow. I thought NYC was full of people who were tolerant of others, regardless of race or sexual orientation. That's why I love it. But this article, and some of the comments, have proven otherwise. Shame on you. And Elaine, your comment smacks of hypocrisy and condescension.

5. Kimberly

Shame on you for your small minded, closed hearted statements. As a deeply faithful Christian who supports gay and lesbian marriage I am deeply saddened by the way you are representing Christians. NOT all of us are full of fear, anger, hatred for our LGBT sisters and brothers. Yay NY, Boo Bishops!

6. Ed Nestor

The catholic church and christianity is toast. New York better than ninety percent catholic and now gay marriages. Christian thought and practices will be gone in fifty years. The world will be differant place, maybe for the better. Can't we all just get along.

7. Elaine

It is my belief that homosexuality is a psychological disorder. However, I feel love and compassion for our homosexual brothers and sisters. Marriage was created by God as being between a man and a woman, mainly so that they procreate.

There is so much corruption in the political arena in America that I have no doubt that this bill was passed because many homosexuals in New York City ,in particular, are the wealthiest. I used to live in NYC, and I know that gay men who are professionals are some of the wealthiest in the city.

Their expenses don't include childcare and often two gay men who are professional and live together bring an income that is astronomical. If I were gay and in this position, I would wonder if the politicians passed this bill because they truly believe in gay marriage or if the politicians just like the dollars and political backing from the gay community. I would find that insulting if I were gay.

I pray this bill is overturned.

8. Katy

*Republicans and Democrats equally share responsibility for this ruinous legislation and we as Catholics should hold all accountable for their actions.*

To set the record straight, the Democratic governor, Andrew Cuomo, introduced the bill to bring this legislation, heavily lobbied for it and every Democratic Senator voted for it. Then Cuomo signed the bill and celebrated by saying *We reached a new level of social justice this evening.* The Democratic party has made same-sex marriage a priority on their agenda like it has abortion. Read my blog to see how same-sex marriage was imposed on Massachusetts by the Democrats: http://scriptangel.blogspot.com/ Cuomo could have submitted a bill to allow New York voters to vote on this issue but once again the Democrats have made sure that citizens cannot vote on this legislation. And as in MA, the NY marriage licenses will be changed from *Husband* and *Wife* to *Party A* and *Party B.* div>

Four Republican Senators voted for the NY bill (they will probably be voted out of office by Republican constituents if they haven't already planned to leave) and the Republican leadership allowed it to go forward. The leadership is culpable as it should have prevented the bill from going to a vote like it does other legislation. That being said, Republicans are not and were not the impetus behind this bill.

On the other hand, Catholic need to be aware that to vote for a Democrat is to support same-sex marriage. Democrat politicians will almost always toe the dominant party line, in this case, equating heterosexual marriage with same-sex marriage. The Democrats are heavily subsidized by homosexual advocacy organizations as they are by the abortion industry.

• Educated Man

Grow. Up.

• vance

Well, mark another victory for anti-Christ. The Marxist Democrat Party who has dominated New York for decades are the force behind the anti-Christian jihad. Archbishop Dolan's mealy-mouth protest is going nowhere. The "Do-Nothing" USCCB is what made "Homosexual Marriage" a reality. The Tea Party movement had already demonstrated what the Bishops and priests need to do. Get off your couch and get into the streets. Now, it's about shutting the proverbial barn door after the horse got out.