New York Legislature Undermines True Marriage, Family, Society and the Common Good Comments

This issue has been framed as upholding marriage equality. This is not the case since one of the principal purposes of marriage is to bring new life into the world. This cannot happen in same-sex marriage. It is not a civil rights issue, but rather a human rights issue upholding the age-old understanding of marriage.Republicans and Democrats equally share responsibility for this ruinous legislation and we as Catholics should hold all accountable ... Continue Reading

1. bigisle

EXCOMMUNICATE CUOMO NOW !!!!!

2. Ed Burke

I can not vote for Republicans. In light of the New York State vote to create a civil 'marriage' license that can be had by any two people, that continues to be true. Democrats certainly pushed the agenda for this, and in that I will seek which candidates to support in the future. However the Republicans continue a far more satanic assault on the United States. The Republicans want Corporations to be the focus of government support, not people. The 'Least of These' are destined by Republican Policy to, " Fend for Themselves". They turn their backs on the elderly, the poor, and the sick. Health Care they say needs to go only to those who can come up with the cash. They claim to be against abortion, but even when they had the Whitehouse and both houses of Congress they made no attempt to restrict this abomination in any way, despite their rhetoric. I suspect they'd hate to end abortion and lose such a hot button issue that serves them so well at the polls. Pope John Paul II warned Bush-Cheney that invading Iraq would be an unjust war. It made no difference. Republicans want easy access to guns by anyone. They'd love to end Social Security, and Medicare if they could. They will not get my help. They should not get yours either. I do not suggest Democrats are not without problem, evidence the NYS law, but on balance they seek to support people, not big business, and the rich which have become the exclusive domain of the Rebuplicans. Thruth be told this nation desperately needs a new Political Movement, one with a moral center, we have none at the moment. Soddom, Gomorrah, and now The State of New York, may God forgive them.

3. Joseph R Yungk

"Many years of common immorality and amorality have brought this degradation of legalized homosexuality on."

So am I illegal for being homosexual?

Dolan makes the claim that "We strongly uphold the Catholic Church's clear teaching that we always treat our homosexual brothers and sisters with respect, dignity and love. "

And how is that? When did this ever happen? I have never seen any fragment of the church ever even be nice to gays let along treat us with "respect." What have any of you done?

4. MH

The goal is not marriage. This is a legal tool to transform society and silence and persecute Christians. Several posters are gloating over what they hope will be the end of the Church. They explicitly seek its destruction in these very comments, thus proving it.

Continue to speak and witness the truth and pray for these people. Some posters are projecting the symptoms of their own spiritual battle with sin onto posters here, "bigots, hate, backwardness, etc..." They persecute Christ and don't know why. Read Quo Vadis. The parallels are alarming but also encouraging.

What is interesting is they don't deny that what comes next matters more. You can effectively force Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Evangelicals, Orthodox Jews, Muslims to accept any form of coupling and endorse it as "marriage." This will be in the schools. There will be lawsuits against churches, businesses, individuals who don't comply.

What I read in the pro-NY law comments is this: "It's good to rejoice in a spirit of anger and loathing and vengeance". "I cannot perceive of a love that does not involve the material world". "I imagine that God's love is akin to self-esteem. There is only me and my body and its wants, and God wants me to be happy."

They are in a bitter and self-deluding trap. We must pray for them.

5. RD

the Bible says this would happen.

6. Dan

>>Leave us alone and follow your own path.

There is nothing we'd like more than to "leave you alone". Unfortunately, you refuse to leave us and our children alone:

7. Nick Marie

I'd like to say I am deeply troubled by this legislation. I have nothing against homosexual people and I never will.
    I am not a hater, bigot, or close minded person as some would try to brand me. Ed Nestor, Max, and all of you
    who think were going to disappear, let me make one thing clear. The Catholic Church is going nowhere!! We have
    defended the best interest of the world for 2,000 years. We grow with the modern world, but we interpret the modern
    world in light of the Gospel. I know that they will come after us for being Catholic, but for 3,000 years, the world's
    most powerful empires have tried to destroy the people of the true God and for 3,000 years they have failed. These
    Empires include Ancient Egypt, The Roman Empire, The Islamic Empire, The Vikings, King Henry VIII's England and
    Napolean's France. Just as Archbishop Dolan stated, countries that pass gay "marriage" don't have tolerance but
    of those who favor traditional marriage.

Let me assure all people that the Catholic Church loves all people, including those of homosexual orientation. I offer
    this metaphor. There are two sets of parents and each one has one child. The first couple gives their child everything
    they want and they never chastise him. The second couple disciplines their child and says no when the child asks
    for something he can't have because it's not his to take or because what the child wants will hurt them. The second
    couple expects a lot from their child only because they want him to be at his best.
    What couple loves their child the most? The second couple. The first couple represents society, telling people they
    can have whatever they want only because they don't want to take the time to properly raise their child. The Second
    couple represents the Catholic Church, holding the world accountable only for it's own good. The Catholic Church
    loves gay people, but society really doesn't.

I'd like to address Thomas. I know this is a sensitive area for you, and I'm sorry if the Church has ever treated
    your family members in a bad way. You say your ashamed of being Catholic. Well, the truth is to be Catholic
    you must fully know the Church and agree with its teachings. Your interpretation of the Church comes from the
    media, I'd wager you never read a page of the catechism of the catholic church or JPII's statements of homosexuality.
    The stark honest truth is the majority of Catholics aren't really Catholics.

Now on to Mike. You call us bigots and hate mongers? Seriously dude, you're resorting to using these degrading
    words just because we disagree with you? Just let me tell you calling people with deep religious views a bigot is
    just as bad as using the N word and the Q word. Please don't comment if you can't show some level of civility and
    restraint.

8. JeanCatherine

Joseph R Yungk

Check out the Courage Apostolate. Also check out late Father John Harvey's work regarding same sex and also the Pastoral Letter by the Catholic Church.

9. Leon

I think it's time for the Catholic Church to stop the talk and Excommunicate Catholic politicians who would choose to gain the whole world and loose their souls. It's time for the Catholic hierarchy to ban priests from giving any Sacrament to any public official who, "... doesn't want to impose their religious beliefs onto the people." I find this new "special" civil rights law (nothing prevented a gay man from marrying a woman or vice versa, that's why they are "special" rights) hurtful to Catholics but, God's will be done. ...and may He bless and protect His faithful through out the world in these times.

OBTW, Max sounds like he did 2,000 years ago!

10. Paco

I think it is sad that the Catholic church has yet to join the 21st century. The belief that same sex marriage will somehow destroy society is laughable, and each argument used by the church against equality is nonsensical. If the purpose of marriage is to bring new life into the world, for example, then what about infertile couples, or couples who choose not to have children? Should that be illegal as well? Should they be kept from making end of life decisions about their partners?

At the very least, the church should recognize the freedom of others, even if it is too stubborn to embrace equality itself. That means not fighting against marriage equality in law, even if the church refuses to perform same sex marriage. New York is not, after all, some kind of theocracy where church taboos should be written into law.

The truth is that human sexuality, like so much else about human beings, is diverse. When we embrace this diversity and bring it out into the open we embrace our own humanity.