New York Legislature Undermines True Marriage, Family, Society and the Common Good Comments

This issue has been framed as upholding marriage equality. This is not the case since one of the principal purposes of marriage is to bring new life into the world. This cannot happen in same-sex marriage. It is not a civil rights issue, but rather a human rights issue upholding the age-old understanding of marriage.Republicans and Democrats equally share responsibility for this ruinous legislation and we as Catholics should hold all accountable ... Continue Reading

1. Elaine

@Tim I don't believe that you that you are an ordained Catholic priest. I think you are a gay marriage supporter posing as a priest.

2. Jerome

Max et al, "...the final death blow for the Church"? One billion Catholics worldwide, one-sixth of the world's population . . . I really don't think a fringe group in one corner of the world will bring The Church to its knees.

3. Nick Marie

I'd just like to address Maura. There isn't equivalency between the Catholic struggle for respect and the gay rights.
    Catholics have been and in some ways still are discriminated against. Homosexual persons can work with other people,
    go to school with other people,and live next to other people. They already have their basic rights. There are some gay
    rights activists, not all, who discriminate with words like "hater" and "bigot" in order to get their point across.

Now I'll address Max. You should read my first post. You talk about a death blow to the Church. Like I said before, many
    people with narrow minds like you have tried to destroy the Church for thousands of years. Who are you, anyway? An
    atheist, a Westboro Baptist Church member? So many people attack us for no apparent reason. You call us the most
    immoral and fossilized institution there is? Ah, your temerity underscores your own folly.The Catholic Church had less
    abusers than other churches and did the most to compensate the victims. The Catholic Church feeds more people and
    educates more people every day than any other institution. You have no right to come onto our website with your
    hypocrisy and your hate and mock us. The most hateful comments on this website were from people like you.

Let me also make one thing clear to Raised Catholic and Encouraged to Think. Yes Jesus embraced lepers and
    prostitutes, but he didn't want them to keep doing what their doing. Jesus excepted people but not their immoral behavior.
    Jesus would embrace the gay people of today, but they wouldn't embrace Him because He'd want them to stop
    practicing sexual promiscuity. All sex outside of marriage is wrong. Gay "marriage" is not marriage anymore than
    polygamist marriage is. I pray that the Holy Spirit will come onto those who are cafeteria Catholics and pull them
    into the truth. Pax et Bonum. Nick Marie. A Catholic Seminarian.

4. JeffreyRO5

I am thrilled that the New York legislature chose to ignore the rantings of the lunatic catholic leadership and other hate groups, and resist the temptation to redefine the word Equality. Equality should not be tampered with, not if a diverse society like ours doesn't want to rip itself apart. It is much easier to modify marriage to include all citizens, instead of only some. Marriage has adjusted nicely over the years to the many changes to its nature. I have no doubt she'll adjust well to including same-sex couples.

5. Tim

As a gay man, a Roman Catholic, and an ordained Roman Catholic priest, I am ashamed that leaders of my church would not only take the position they have on this matter, but that they also would exhibit such mean-spiritedness in the aftermath of last night's vote. The bishops continue to embrace positions that are rooted in at least ignorance, if not bigotry or even worse. Is the union of man and a woman who commit to one another in a relationship of life-long long love, with an openness to new life something to be celebrated and valued? ABSOLUTELY! Is such a relationship the ONLY kind of committed relationship that can exist between human persons? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Elderly heterosexuals who are well beyond child-bearing years are still able to marry despite the fact that nature dictates such marriages cannot be "open to children." If elderly heterosexuals may marry, then why not God's gay and lesbian children, who also are called by their Creator into loving relationships of mutual self-giving and lifelong commitment?

What the bishops need most is our prayers -- prayers that the Holy Spirit might free them from their blindness to the fullness of creation as God creates it, and not as they think they understand it.

6. MauraHennessey

A long time ago, a New York governor stood out against “special rights” for a group that he felt was not entitled to them. He argued that both New York and the United States had been stettled by, their governments created by and were being goverened by “Christians” and obviously extending rights to this group undermined both Christianity and New York.

His name? Governor John Jay

The un-Christian and Un-American group that he sought to protect us against? Roman Catholics

7. Tim

8. Michael

Marriage will never be the same and that is the good news. Same sex marriage is now legal in New York State... PERIOD. From the Pope all the way down to the ridiculous Mr. Dolan, the Catholic church lost. Time to go back to the drawing board and look at issues that the church can control like pedophilia perpetrated by priests and Catholic followers.

9. Elaine

Julie: Wow. I thought NYC was full of people who were tolerant of others, regardless of race or sexual orientation. That's why I love it. But this article, and some of the comments, have proven otherwise. Shame on you. And Elaine, your comment smacks of hypocrisy and condescension.

My response: Because I do not believe in gay marriage does not mean that I am not tolerant of the gay community. I do have my faith and belief in God's Laws, however. I don't mean, by expressing my belief, to sound condescending. I'm merely sharing my belief. In what way am I being hypocritcal, though? To what part of my expression of my belief are you referring to as hypocritical? I sincerely would like to know. Elaine

10. MH

@Matt
    I don't disagree that there may be a genetic explanation for some manifestations homosexuality and same-sex attractions. But you claim an absolute scientific consensus. What literature makes this absolute conclusion Please post some links to the relevant studies. And you assert this psychiatric literature nullifies Catholic teaching.

The Catholic Church - of which you claim you are a member -teaches that sexual activity is ordered for one purpose - co-creation with God., as expressed in marriage and open to life. Any other expression: extramarital sex (even if studies purport to some people are genetically predisposed to promiscuity), adultery are considered sinful. Artificial birth control is a sin in Catholicism.

I agree that homosexual persons are children of God and loved by God, but are expected, just as I am expected, to live chastely unless married to a member of the opposite sex and open to life in the marital act.