New York Legislature Undermines True Marriage, Family, Society and the Common Good Comments

This issue has been framed as upholding marriage equality. This is not the case since one of the principal purposes of marriage is to bring new life into the world. This cannot happen in same-sex marriage. It is not a civil rights issue, but rather a human rights issue upholding the age-old understanding of marriage.Republicans and Democrats equally share responsibility for this ruinous legislation and we as Catholics should hold all accountable ... Continue Reading

1. Burke

Kevin, were you properly catechized? Just saying.
    Anyway, as you may very well know, a priest is Alter Christus- he takes the place of Christ, you know, GOD himself? Jesus Christ? The Guy who died on the cross?, at least, in Mass. Therefore he must act the same. Remember, Jesus did not only welcome the lost, he admonished some of them! Remember, Jesus also admonished the people who made the Temple a market. He is a God of Justice before He is a God of love. And yes, I admit I have been overboard in my comments here, I am sorry :) But that was sincere. What we learn of our faith we learn from priests. So they have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to teach what is contrary to the teachings of the Church, the teachings of Jesus Christ himself. This is basically a what-about-others-they-have-feelings-too-:( vs i-want-him-to-be-saved-so-i-tell-him-like-it-is. So go read your stuff :)
    And oh, because you brought up the subject of conservativism in the Church, let me tell you this: it is the Traditional Movement within the Church that is keeping it alive, fully Catholic. Traditionals tell it like it is, no matter what the cost, for sake of love for Jesus Christ. Liberals tell it watered-down, for sake of love for sensitivity. Mind you, the Traditional Movement is growing everyday with STRONG, COMMITTED Catholics. Youth or for that matter anyone who leaves the church, show that they do not love Jesus Christ deeply.
    I'm sorry, "Fr" Tim :) and I'm sorry, Kevin, if I hurt your feelings :) Miserere mei. +AMDG

2. techwreck

The self-delusional comments justifying sinful behavior with wishful thinking rather than Scripture or Church teaching based on Scripture and tradition are amazing. They are ample evidence of the power of the Evil One to cloud human minds and blind us to the truth.

The reminder in John 14:15 is all that I need, "If you love me you will obey my commandments." And Jesus repeats in John 14:15-21, “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth."

I cannot follow both Christ and Satan, so I have chosen to follow Jesus. Apparently, many of those who have commented on the article are following someone else. They are in my prayers.

3. Theresa

FYI, Colon (and all who are "for" legalizing homosexual marriage): The natural moral law is not a matter of indifference; we have a right-- even an obligation to endeavor to ensconce it in our public laws. (What people choose to do in private is between them and God.) Bishops have the solemn obligation to go out to the whole world and preach the "good news" to all peoples. (Cf: Mt. 28:18:20; Mk 16:15-16) We are all, indeed, free to choose not to listen. or agree.... But God's Word couldn't be clearer: "Do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh.... those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Cf: Gal 5:13-21) Indeed, in the end, we will all give an account of ourselves before God, whether we believe it or not!

Fr. Tom, "I appeal to you...by the mercies of God, to present your bod[y] as a living sacrifice [in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass] holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good, and acceptable and perfect." (Rom 12:1-2). This shall be the daily prayer for you by, I am thinking, more than one person reading your "comment" on this “page” in Catholic Online.

4. Laura

Years ago I suffered with same-sex attraction. It took a lot of prayer and fasting to overcome but eventually I did. Last year I saw a woman that I was attracted to and the emotions, desires and daydreams came flooding back. Seven demons returned when before there was one. Brothers and sisters, we are dealing with the evil one, satan/lucifer. We are fighting a spiritual battle so we need to pray and fast for our brothers and sisters who are dealing with these temptations. Pray that they are made whole and HOLY. Pray that they know, love and serve God. God who created sex. GOD CREATED THE PENIS OF THE MAN TO ENTER THE VAGINA OF THE WOMAN SO THAT NINE MONTHS LATER THE FRUIT OF THEIR LOVE MAY LIVE IN THE FORM OF A CHILD! This great act of love is so sacred that it should ONLY be done in MARRIAGE. Why? In marriage the two are committed to each other and their child for the rest of their lives no matter what.
    (Remember: two men can NEVER conceive each others child!)
    (Note: I attribute my same-sex attraction to being molested by a woman and having an abusive father).
    (Note: I don‘t hate or discriminate against those with same-sex attraction. If someone desires a nun, Priest, or someone else's spouse then that is wrong too and equally requires prayers and fasting. We are fallen creatures who constantly need the grace of our Savior).
    GOD BLESS!

5. MDDave

As a non-Roman Catholic, I would fully support the Church in any move to excommunicate these legislators and the governor. The idea that homosexuality is normal is a simple heresy, and anyone including a priest is subject to severe judgment for preaching anything to the contrary. Homosexuality is dysfunction..... the same as any other dysfunction. These men are wolves in sheeps' clothing.

6. Theresa

As to the comment of Colon, didn't Jesus tell his disciples (that would include our Bishops) to proclaim the Gospel to the entire world (that would include New York)--until the end of time? St. Paul said of this obligation: "Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel.... " (1Cor 9;16ff)

7. Kevin

@ Burke. I can't believe you and all these other people bashing Tim. He is an ordained priest and deserves to be respected as such. Who says that gay men cannot be priests? Have they not devoted themselves wholly to Christ? One's sexual orientation should be no matter when entering the priesthood. It is a calling for all males, not just heterosexual males. It is because of close-minded, crazy conservative Catholics that many young people are leaving the Church these days. How can you say that you are loving and accepting like you claim to be when you treat an ordained priest the way you are treating him? It's absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for. He is allowed to have his own opinions on marriage, even as an ordained priest. Priests have always differed on interpretations of the Bible; they don't deserve to be treated like some evil demon just because they have progressive views.

8. Michelle

1.) Tim is not a priest. 2.) The Slippery Slope just got slicker, steeper, and faster. You can watch those that HATE Holy Mother Church shouting, "YIPPEE!" on their chaotic, non-stop ride down The Slope going as fast as they can in their attempt to speed past the gates of Hell and land in it's belly. They are even here on this particular site, goading, gloating, spewing filth, wanting support in that terrible ride to Hell. I won't do it. It's 100% ignorance. 3.) To those engaging in homosexuality: Get off that Slope that leads only to Hell, run to Holy Mother Church, and find Jesus waiting for you in Confession!

9. Rob

Don't get baited guys. And have no illusions as to who's fault this is. We dropped the ball. For whatever reason, our Church has not treated marriage as the sacrament it is. We had a crisis in marriage long before this issue came on the scene. Our problem today is that our marriages by and large are not reflective of the sancity and unity that Christ intended. The church for far too long has failed to ensure that people considering marriage are ready and when they do get married, they stay together. When the divorce rate started getting close to the non-believing pagans, that was the time to act. We need to stop all this political bickering and get back to basics. When the church and it's members show the world what marriage is supposed to be, then all this nonsense will stop. Until then expect more as I'm sure this is only the beginning. As for those that are expressing such joy on this matter, the only thing I have to say to you is that you better be right on this. As I read the scriptures, I just can't get there. But like with anything, each one of us is responsible for our own soul. And I guess one way or the other, we'll find out.

10. john doe

Its not even so much a religious issue as it is a public health issue. Google the phenomenon known as bug chasing. Many gays deliberately try to infect themselves with an STI for various reasons. Legitimizing homosexuality this way validates their risky lifestyle.