Ecclesial Movements: The Catholic Charismatic Renewal Comments

God sovereignly drew many Duquesne University students into the chapel at The Ark and Dove Retreat Center. Some were laughing, others crying. Some prayed in tongues, others (like me) felt a burning sensation coursing through their hands. God had planned it in the Upper Room Chapel. It was the birth of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal! Continue Reading

1. Albert Mendonca

I'm wondering what the moderators are doing when ignorant folks here at equating the works of the holy spirit as "clearly of the devil." and "but a spirit from Hell."

The charismatic renewal has been the single biggest source of drawing people back to faith in our area, where otherwise the catholic church only used to come across as a pile of rituals. We have found our faith and our Lord. And most importantly we have found the holy spirit who usually barely gets any mention.

Of course it was embarrassing to death for me when people used to hold their hands up high and clap and sing in tongues. But then i realized that discomfort was purely because of a **hardened heart**, full of arrogance and pride, leaning on reason more than faith.

The charismatic movement has cleaned that up, establishing now a personal relationship with the lord, a childlike attitude that the lord seeks, that i hear his words every day, and grow in the spirit.

Instead of being runaway judgmental, immerse yourself with an honest heart to see what this movement is truly about.

2. Paul

Hi Matt.

I was involved for about 2 years and tried to keep an open mind, being an ex-Evangelical Charismatic. I went to several different venues here in England, including the central meetings in London.

I'm no Latin Mass groupie or crypto-sedevacantist, but what I was hearing, as well as the way the floor was given to people who were clearly mentally disturbed at prayer meetings as if they were mystics, made me highly skeptical.

Now, if you say it's not the same in the States, then which Holy Spirit is guiding your branch? because it's clearly yet another one ot the many over here giving different messages to different groups.

3. robert Gemmell

I was somewhat disappointed by your printing of the comments on the Charismatic renewal . You said you reserve the right to not print comments which are abusive. One writer says it's a Spirit from hell? Pope Benedict writes on page 68 of his book New Outpourings of the Holy Spirit " I then came into contact with the reality of the Charismatic renewal.....thus I had the joy and grace, I would say,of seeing young christians touched by the Holy Spirit..." The people you printed speak of protestants in an unloving way and it saddened me because we are converts to the Catholic church but do not think other than fondly of our protestant brothers.

4. Matt

I first want to say that I am a proud member of the ECCLESIAL movement known as the Charismatic Renewal! After I read this article, I wondered what the comments would be. I gave my brethren the benefit of the doubt and assumed it would be a mix of people who supported the efforts of this movement and people who have never participated in it and rightly so, have some questions.

I was quite surprised to see that there were only five comments and all five were from people who seriously oppose the Charismatic Renewal.

It saddens me that there are people in our Church who hear a few stories and then jump to the conclusion that everyone who is part of the Charismatic Renewal is a heretical (@Sean) Protestant (@Matthew Herrington) with a messed up mind and a messed up ecclesiology (@Paul) who have dissented from the Church (@James), helped produce a heterodox church (@Dan).

The Charismatic Renewal is a product of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe that everyone in the Church needs to be part of the Charismatic Renewal, but I do believe we need a spot at the table. I support all movements recognized by the Church.

And @Dan prayer is not a bad thing. Interdenominational liturgies are and they are not part of the Charismatic Renewal. If you are against interdenominational prayer, how do you feel about the March for Life?

5. sean

It's quite remarkable that the Charismaniacs seek to make Pope Leo XIII's prayer the stimulus for the start of Protestant Pentecostalim. This is heresy pure and simple.

6. Paul

What puzzles me is how frequently the 'Holy Spirit' gives 'words', 'pictures', or other 'personal revelations' to individuals which contradict the Magisterium on matters of faith, morals, and/or liturgical norms.

Is the Magisterium in error, or is it not he Holy Spirit? There is no other option.
    It not only messes with your mind, it messes with your ecclesiology too.

7. Matthew Herrington

Does anyone seriously believe that these people aren't Protestants?

This happy-clappy nonsense has no place in the Catholic Church. It's never been needed before and is clearly of the devil.

8. Dan

How many of our popes have warned us about the dangers of interdenominational prayer? I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but I know that it is many. I don't mean to be the big ugly nay-sayer here, but the charismatic renewal has helped to produce a heterodox church. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass has been denigrated by mooshy protestant hymns about ourselves. Children grow up thinking that a "spirit-filled" pentecostal church is every bit as pleasing to God as His Holy Catholic Church. I'm sorry, but is it too much to ask that Catholics start believing and teaching Catholic doctrine? Like it or not, this includes the unanymous teaching of the Church Fathers and of the Council of Florence and of the Popes who have dared to say it, that outside the Church there is no salvation. Any spirit which fills those who oppose this doctrine, infallibly declared, is not the Holy Spirit, but a spirit from Hell.

9. James

Here, in England, 'Charismatic Renewal' is indistinguishable from Protestant Evangelicalism. It's a hotbed of dissent.