Catholic Education in America: Homeschooling is Not the Problem Comments

The "Catholic schools vs. Homeschool" attitude is tragic. Those who insist that Catholic parents have an obligation to send their children to Catholic schools need to stop guilt-tripping parents and impugning their motives and deal with reality. We're not the enemy of Catholic schools - we are Catholic schools. Continue Reading

1. Johann

Wow, it's amazing how many Catholic school graduates would never send their kids to Catholic school, for fear of being morally corrupted and secularized. I agree. There was nothing scandalous in my 1980s Catholic education, but nothing very edifying or educational either. I got my faith from my grandparents, basically. However, the Catholic education of my younger siblings and cousins has been a disgrace. For that reason alone I wouln't send my kid to a Catholic school (or as some places put it- "a school in the Catholic tradition"). But the author also rightly points out the exorbitant cost of such an education. It's just out of my reach, even if I found a worthy school. My only concern is the lack of community with other Catholic youth. We felt set apart somehow in Catholic school. We felt different from the general run of the population. I don't think the kids will feel that Catholic uniqueness doing to Mass once a week with a bunch of old people.

2. Homeschool Principal

We tried Catholic School for our older 3. When the worldliness of this "Catholic" school became all too obvious, we took a leap of faith and started teaching them ourselves at home. The oldest is now a seminarian.
    Do you want to talk about vocations? Then let's see a bishop embrace the Catholic Homeschooling community. That diocese will see the vocations. We homeschoolers are not weirdos or crackpots... we are just Catholics who take seriously our responsibility to get our children into heaven and feel this is the right way to get them on the road there. Amen.

3. Mark

We are a homeschooling family. Whenever anyone questions our choice to homeschool; to tell us we have an "obligation" to do this or we "ought to" do that, we have one answer: we obey. We obey the Lord. Read Deuteronomy 6. Read Ephesians 6. Read Proverbs. Who is directed to teach children? A hired tutor? The bishop? The government? Are the proverbs addressed to "My pupils"?

From the word of God we are given the responsibility and authority to raise our own children "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." There is no higher authority. Period.

4. Chris

St. Therese of Lisieux was pulled out of Catholic school by her father and then home schooled by her sisters. Now she is a Doctor of the Church and one of the greatest saints of modern times. Case closed if you ask me.

5. Leon Suprenant

Good piece. I also was disappointed by the OSV piece and posted this on the IRL's vocation blog: http://vocationblog.com/2011/06/support-your-local-home-school/

6. John

These days it's getting harder and harder to find a good school in both Catholic and public schools.Unfortunately the govt. is trying hard to control the minds of all children and indoctrinate them with immoral teachings and unethical sciences.I'd like to ask the Bishop about children who need a little more attention due to their learning needs.Catholic schools do not want nor will put up with children of special needs.My child is very smart yet has a problem sitting still for too long.I can understand that people pay good money to send their children to Catholic schools and do not want such children taking up time and resources.My child unfortunately will have to go to public school and I will have to be vigilant in observing what they teach him.I do hope as he gets older that he'll be able to go to Catholic schools..where I will still have to be vigilant in what they teach him not only educationally..but religious as well.It's good to see that there are plenty of people out there who care about their children and what they're being taught.Unfortunately most people just send their children off to school and trust too much in the govt.in what they teach their children.Today Planned Parenthood and homosexual organizations have easy access to children to promote and evangelize them to their causes.Unethical sciences and leftist liberal teachers are in abundance throughout the country.The only way to change this is to raise children who will grow up to become God loving,God fearing lawmakers.

7. Kathryn

One reason we are returning to homeschooling after being at our parish school for a number of years is to undo some of what my children have learned there -- mostly attitudes and behaviors. I do not mean to support the "us vs. them" mentality, but quite honestly, you roll the dice when you place your child in any school situation as to what they will "make their own" in terms of information and conduct. And you only have a few short hours in the afternoon and the precious weekend time to bring them back in line if they should pick up on the less desirable attributes. Personally, this is harder than homeschooling. We intend to leave our parish school on a good note and remain active in our parish community, which we love.

8. Elizabeth

Good Catholic homeschoolers, Holy Mother Church tells us to do exactly what we are doing. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: #2221 "The role of parents in education is of such importance that it is almost impossible to provide an adequate substitute." The right and duty of parents to educate their children are primordial and inalienable. #2223 Parents have the first responsibility for the education of their children. #2224 The home is the natural environment for initiating a human being into solidarity and communal responsibilites. Parents should teach children to avoid the compromising and degrading influences which threaten human societies.
    (It is good parents who properly "socialize" their children, not a bunch of other children their same age who themselves are in need of being properly "socialized'.)

#2229 As those first responsible for the education of their children, parents have the right to choose a school for them which corresponds to their own convictions. This right is fundamental. As far as possible parents have the duty of choosing schools that will best help them in their task as Christian educators.

If I can provide my children with a better Catholic education at home than any other school can, Catholic, private, or public, without crippling my family financially, then it is my duty and obligation to do so. I will not shirk this call from God, so clearly stated by His Church.

Let's continue to pray that Fr. S, Bishop V, and Ned misspoke or misunderstood the issue and will soon show us all their love and support for raising well-educated, faithful, practicing Catholics.

9. Kristin Yassem

Forgive me for being so short, I just accidentally deleted a thoughtful response. Catholic Heritage Curricula (www.chcweb.com) changed our family for the better in a fun, gentle, academically sound, family-friendly (not simply traditional classroom materials trying to be adapted for family use), thoroughly Catholic way that avoids burnout and the heaviness of some other Catholic materials. We used them for 5 years. I LOVE the way intellectual and practical hands-on faith knowlege is incorporated throughout the materials and the pro-life slant in the reading program for those precious, innocent 4-7 year olds! :) I think I learned more with regards to our Catholic faith by teaching first grade than I ever did in my childhood. Simple & beautiful products and the lesson plans (more than a daily to-do list) are a lifesaver! Plenty of time left for appropriate "socialization" via field trips, appointments, co-ops, playdates, ministries, family life, daily living, and community service. My kids interact with the world more in one day than their schooling peers do in a week (being stuck all day with peers who may or may not be a good influence). Did I mention that CHC is incredibly affordable, especially when you can find some used items for sale or swap online?

10. Laura Klosterman

Thank you, Jennifer! What an awesome article! I don't have the choice to send my three girls to a Catholic school so I homeschool. This allows us to go to Mass every afternoon and use a wonderful Catholic curriculum. My goal is the salvation of my daughters souls....not how well they do on a math test. I, too, would be thrilled if one or all of my daughters became nuns. Many, many thanks!