Campaign 2012, South Carolina, Rick Santorum and the Kentucky Derby Comments

His stalwart defense of life has only improved with age. So too have his skills as a communicator. His defense of marriage - and the family and society founded upon it - has been coherent and consistent. His unapologetic defense of the moral basis of a truly free society has been refreshing. Clearly, Senator Rick Santorum "gets it". He emerged the victor in this first Presidential debate and a South Carolina straw poll. Continue Reading

1. Jennifer

I saw the debate and Santorum looked and sounded like a leader. He doesn't fumble for words because he's consistent in his views and isn't making phony speeches. He just says what he believes and he speaks with passion. I can't believe so many people seem impressed with Pawlenty. Watching him made me yawn. Very milquetoast. His hand movements, his tone of voice, his expression, his answers all seemed so artificial and canned. No spark at all. SANTORUM 2012

2. Andy Holland

Dave - if you believe that when you die nothing happens, why do you bother reading this stuff? Jesus Christ as foretold fulfilled with precision all that was prophesied of Him. He has revealed Himself to us in Holy Communion, in our hearts, minds and prayers. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life and His kingdom is eternal. He loves you very much Dave; so much so He died on a cross for you and arose from the dead. Rick Santorum "gets it" because He believes truly, Christ is Risen! Living a moral life is part of living a clean, happy, joyful and eternal life free from the prison of selfishness bound by the chains of passion.

3. Rob

I applaud Santorum's defense of life. But I do not think we can causally dismiss Chris Wallace's question. I'm not sure the country is ready to accept someone like Santorum. While I think minds and hearts are being changed, we still have a long way to go. We can't even get the opponents in this issue to regard a baby as human before birth, much less recognize their inherent, constitutional rights. From a pro-life perspective he's great. And I must confess I don't know much about his stance on our foreign conflicts and economy, but I really do not think he will get much traction beyond these early months.

4. techwreck

I respect Deacon Forurnier and hope he will keep the discussion of the 2012 elections front and center at this forum. We need to defeat a pro-death, anti-free enterprise economy President and the selection of an election opponent is critical to that goal.

For what it is worth, I don't know any of the GOP candidates, and I listened to the debate looking to be inspired. None of the candidates triggered my enthusiasm because none showed an understanding of the economic and social problems the nation is facing. Therefore, none offered any solutions that inspired real hope for the future. They are all small men talking about large problems.

Respect for life is an enviable position, but it does not reflect the concerns of the American people at this time. Santorum is a 90's candidate running against Bill Clinton, but we need a 2012 candidate who can defeat President Obama.

5. Paul-Emile Leray

Although the following comments may appear to be somewhat off topic if viewed through narrow perspectives or those of political partisanship, I think what follows merits some consideration. Democracies have an inherent tendency to fall into mobocracies. The majority is often wrong, since it is the nature of truth that it tends to separate itself from the crowd. And so, we usually end up with mobocracies ruled and governed by who? Demagogues. After all, they need to be elected to be able to eventually attain to power and control to then attempt to govern. What we have the world over in democratic systems are mobocracies, with elected mob representatives who attain to power and then maintain power by appealing to the herd. In other words, demagogues. What about the pursuit of truth in and of itself? To anyone who has not already done so, I would like to recommend the following read: Christianity, Democracy, and the American Ideal; by Jacques Maritain (1882-1973). Our democracies are functionning poorly. Education and instruction must not be considered as being synonymous. The deep roots of culture and how this influences are also important. We need to return to education in the Latin sense of 'educare'. Presently, democracies the world over have fallen into mobocracies. The recommended reading is published by Sophia Institute Press. For democracies to function properly, the people need to be able to see through the sophistry and the manipulations of the sophists (often, politicians). Democracies are capable of functionning much more effectively. To anyone who wishes to avoid enslavement, including as a result of democracies gone astray, please read the recommended reading suggested above.
    PEL

6. dave

hmm.. "catholic online" declares that Rick Santorum "won" the debate, though he finishes no higher than 3rd in any poll taken. I wonder if their faith-based bias comes into play here?

PS - When you die, nothing happens.

7. James

As a man who considers himself a rational Catholic, I agree with Mr. Brady.

8. Nathan Lewis

I want to thank you Deacon for your aticles about Mr. Santorum. I too believe he has many gifts that would make him an excellent President of the United States. I look forward to following Mr. Santorum and your future articles. God bless.

9. Nick Leavens

Rick Santorum is NOT a pro-life or pro-family candidate. Senator Santorum supported both the invasion or Iraq and supports capital punishment. Last I checked, the stances Sen. Santorum has taken on those issues are quite opposite of the Catholic church.

10. Robert

Santorum shines and Herman Cain is a close second. One reader commented on Ron Paul being the conservative most closely aligned with Church teaching. I must rescpectfully strongly disagree. Rick Santorum is the spot on choice for Catholics due to his positions and following of Church doctrine. Yes. you might have to waterboard someone to save thousands and thousands of lives. Jesus was not afraid of just war. Jesus was against the death of the innocent. If Rick runs he gets my vote, followed by Herman Cain. Pawlenty is a close third and the comes Joe the Plummer.

Vote Conservative and stay clear of this social justice mumbo jumbo. Grow the economy and charities will fill their coffers. Steal the money from hardworking Americans and you will then see the charities drying up. Keynesian economics does not, has not and will not work!

Have a nice week.