Campaign 2012, South Carolina, Rick Santorum and the Kentucky Derby Comments

His stalwart defense of life has only improved with age. So too have his skills as a communicator. His defense of marriage - and the family and society founded upon it - has been coherent and consistent. His unapologetic defense of the moral basis of a truly free society has been refreshing. Clearly, Senator Rick Santorum "gets it". He emerged the victor in this first Presidential debate and a South Carolina straw poll. Continue Reading

1. Theresa

I should have included in my previous observations that it is simply not true to say that Rick Santorum "is not a pro-life or pro-family candidate." (I have heard those who are not "pro-family" criticize him because he has 8 children!) He is very strong in his stance against contraception and abortion and, I dare say, he knows well and follows what the Church teaches about "just war" and "capital punishment." (The CCC [2263ff, 2270ff and 2309ff] helps us all to understand rightly what the Catholic Church teaches about all of this.) If I may say so here, again, if you want to get to know Rick Santorum, listen to him every single Friday morning from 6-9am on Bill Bennett!

2. mgm.

Peter. Do you know something about President Obama ? is his marriage on the rocks or something?looks to me like he has a happy family an example for all Americans .You brought up the president that smoke dope in the White House ,I much prefer him over the dope president that invaded Iraq and got America stuck in a mess that got thousands of U.S. servicemen killed and lamed,tens of thousands of Iraqs killed or lamed also, how many families did that ruin and what was Bush smoking ?

3. Nick Leavens

@TJ - Here's a link to the catechism mention of the death penalty.

Note the last sentence please. "...the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."

And was then Pope John Paul II's stance on the Iraq War not good enough for you?

I stand by my statement.

4. Andrew

Why can Dave deny the foundation of our faith but my comments get rejected for being too liberal?

5. Theresa

Rick Santorum has an incredible amount of insight into the ills of our time and the remedies. He is also well informed on international affairs. He cuts through the false premises and gets to the truth of the matter at hand.. I suspect many hate him for what he stands for, and that "hate" is what concerns me--though I know the Lord has called "blessed" those who are hated for His Name's sake....I listen to him every Friday morning on Bill Bennett's "Morning in America." It's a great opportunity to learn precisely where he stand on matters of the natural law, morality and civic responsibility. But, again, I can't forget the words of the Lord: "You will be hated...." May God bless and protect him!

6. Leticia Velasquez

Ron Paul refuses to defend traditional marriage, the bedrock of civilization and the best home in which to raise children. How can conservatives overlook this failure to take a stand?
    Santorum is not afraid to take a stand on marriage and as he said, he has the arrows in his back to prove it. Just Google his name and you will see the vitriol aimed against him for opposing same sex "marriage". He has passionately defended innocent human life on the Senate floor during the partial birth abortion debate. I can still hear his high pitched pleading.voice, "this isn't a blog of tissue, it's a BABY!" as a baby's cry silenced the Senate floor.
    Now that's presidential!

7. john

Two words: No Way.

8. Peter

Rick did win that debate, man alive - he looks and sounds Presidential, which is more than the current president can say.

The fact the guy has stood on his principles ought not to be the stuff of jokes, but considered honorable - if we still do that in this country...

No President will get his personal opinions legislated - so the fact Santorum is very high on family values should not scare the left-wingers who fear someone will take away their "recreational" pursuits.

But, at the end of the day, wouldn't we all prefer - no matter what political affiliation - to have a President that believes in good core values, self dignity and respect for the family?

I think I'd prefer to have a leader of that ilk than one who thinks smoking dope and getting oral sex in the White House are part of the Presidential deal... Whatever you or I do, I think we benefit from a leader that at least believes in the right things.

Don't you?

9. Mike

We seem to forget that America is a Republic not a Democracy. It was made that way so that a majority only could not always succeed. It allowed the minority to have a say and to bring about its side.
    If we turn into a democracy only then we will definitely go to Socialism to Commuism.

Mr. Santorum has my vote here and please keep up the articles throughout this campaign.

10. TJ

@ Nick Leavens: You obviously didn't check very hard. Go back and read your Catechism, if you ever have in the first place. The Catholic Church does not condemn war and capital punishment in all circumstances...both can sometimes be justified. They are not inherently, always and everywhere, evil like abortion. Senator Santorum is not going against his faith by supporting retaining the option of capital punishment or war. This is a tired argument continuously trotted out by the left to try and justify their support of abortion.