They Say Marriage is a Dying Institution: What's Really Dying is Love Comments

The pronouncement came from actress Cameron Diaz and psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow last week:  marriage is a dying institution. Dr. Ablow blames its demise on government, contraception, disappearing passion and the mockery of divorce. What he never mentions is Love. Marriage will only die if we give up the struggle of love. Continue Reading

1. Teresa

Will be married 37 years in Aug. The best gift we have given to each other and our children is our marriage and the best gift God has given us is our marriage. Beautiful and bold response from the author.. To those who see marriage otherwise: what happened to the "promise" and the willing of the good of the other over your immediate wants?

2. Heather

Hmm, if "the vocation of the priesthood will be fixed when the vocation of marriage is fixed" but so many of us have grown up without a good model of marriage, and the priests do next to nothing to help fix marriage, how will anything get fixed? What's the Church doing to educate and fortify the legions of young adults who don't have the time or fortitude to read philosophical expositions of marriage, and really need some practical, nitty gritty advice, a kick in the rear, and a real life example of married love?

3. Albert F. Maas

Why wasn't Jesus married? To be not married in 1st century Palestine would go against all Jewish tradition of the time.That would have been a good example to set for the rest of us.

4. Albert F. Maas

If marriage is so great why don't priests get married?

5. zm

Ms.Hartline, this is a beautiful, well written and lucid article. I agree with Theresa that St.Paul's definition of Love should be taught in all Catholic High Schools.

6. Robert

I read a quote a while back from someone who said something along the lines of: "The vocation of the priesthood will be fixed when the vocation of marriage is fixed."

7. Jennifer Hartline

Many thanks to all of you who are living proof that marriage is GOOD! My husband and I have almost twelve years together so far, and we're looking forward to growing old together. Jerzy Gawor, I agree with you. Long Live Marriage!

8. mydogoreo

Great article! If I may add one point on which Dr. Ablow made an error. He claimed that married people cannot choose each other on a daily basis. We marrieds do certainly choose each other daily - otherwise, there would be a 100% divorce rate!
    Therefore, 50% say, "I do" every day, and 50% say, "I do not" every day.

9. Chantal

My husband and I are going to be married 25 years, and the first 19 years of our marriage was not the best to say the least--it wasn't until I figured out that I needed to make God #1 in my life (instead of my husband, my kids, work, etc.) that my life, our life as a family started turning around. I must give credit to St. Joseph, patron saint of husbands and families whom I prayed to for intercession. But once I figured out that I needed to get myself right with God, everything else fell into place. Now, at 25 years of marriage, I've figured out that having a successful marriage is being on a journey together with God at the center of your lives.

10. james of nashviile

Very good article...makes some enlightening points. St Joseph...pray for us.