President Obama Orders Justice Department to No Longer Defend Marriage Comments

Fifteen years ago Congress overwhelmingly passed the Defense of Marriage Act. It was signed into law by President Clinton in 1996. On February 23, 2011, President Barack Obama unilaterally ordered the US Justice Department to stop defending marriage. The Attorney General sent a five-page letter simply announcing the President's decision to the Congress. Government has long regulated marriage for the common good and the President's ... Continue Reading

1. Susan

Homosexual societies existed in the past and in the present. We have ancient Rome and Greece which actually glorified the behavior--even with boys. Their gods raped boys. It, being a learned behavior in many respects, has always included pederasty, and where it is glorified, women were 2nd class citizens, or treated like the Afghani homosexuals treat "their" women....like slaves. Glorifying homosexuality is glorifying pederasty, since it is the ugly little camel in their tent.

Going against Natural Law, homosexuality can not be a "right". It is an illogical use of the body. It is a perversion of the laws of nature and the USA was founded on Locke's Theory of Natural Law, which outlawed such dysfunctional behavior which leads only to disease and destruction of the body. Our legal system is built on the ideas of Locke, Aquinas, Cicero and Aristotle, all whom knew firmly, as did the Founders, that creating laws that go against Nature are unjust and create unhappiness and tyranny. Man-made laws, not based on God's Laws, will always be unconstitutional because they are not based in reason and logic--they are political and about unequal power for a "protected class" which isn't allowed in our Constitution. It demands force and oppression of conscience and denies the first amendment, which didn't condone "all" religion-- Just the rational ones based on reason and logic (Natural Law)--like the Christian one.

2. davide

Daniel don't be personally attacking me. You don't even know me. I have done nothing but try to show kindness on this website and try to show other persons with same-sex inclinations that God does love them. Did you know that most gays are atheist? Does this not concern you?..for what ever reason they do not believe in God. Also to show other people there are those of us who have same-sex inclinations who are not part of the gay agenda or the gay ideology. Let me explain something to you-I was born and raised in Italy, my family moved here to the United States when I was 14 years old. I couldn't believe all the anti-Catholic hate in this great country, I was in shock to say the least. I remember asking my father why this was so..he had great difficulty explaining this to me because it was something he did not understand. I have far worse been persecuted as a Catholic (mostly by gays) than be being persecuted because I am a man with same-sex inclinations or attractions. I have nine siblings and I am the only one who as this, all of my siblings are perfectly straight. They do not judge me and you my friend have no right or is it your place to judge a person you do not know. I belong to the Catholic organization and so do my parents, a Catholic organization that helps Catholics like me-Catholic with same-sex inclinations. It is called Courage Apostolate. you can find it here: http://www.couragerc.net/ . I think Daniel you need to read the up on the CCC regarding Homosexuality. Never once have I said that homosexual sex acts are not sins, when I clearly believe they are. But some of us we are persons with same-sex attractions, but I am not one of these who says he was 'born' this way...clearly I do not know why I am this way...but it does not matter..it is what it is...I am not a mole from the homosexual subculture or movement...in fact my friend on my own blog I speak against many things within the gay community many things that most of us would not even dare to look into or even bring forth. Gays think I am a monster or an 'uncle Tom' a self-loathing queer. You on the other hand think I am a liar. Is it so hard for you to understand that there are thousands of Catholics just like me? That we try everyday to live the life that Our Lord ask of us....sometimes we fail and sometimes we make mistakes. To be gay and Catholic and be chaste is a burden most straights will never understand. We know the life that lays before us, we know this is our walk towards Calvary. We know we will never be married or be fathers and mothers. We know we will grow old and grow old alone..in many ways we have to live the life like a priest lives..I come to this site because I like what I find here. I expect to be ridiculed by sexually active gay persons I do not expect to be ridiculed by a fellow brother in Christ. But it is what it is and there is absolutely nothing I can do to change your mind or think differently of me...but your judgement on me will also be your own judgement...we are to be humble and you my friend have shown me no humility. Grazie

3. John in Nebraska

How nice it is to be able to post on this site with folks who -minus a few exceptions- can express themselves without calling those they disagree with names. The quality and the content of most remarks is charitable and straightforward. Those of you who still feel it necessary to degrade your opponents should really re-think your approach. It's simply not in the interest of advancing the Gospel of Christ.

4. Robert Klein

Vote Republican! Vote Conservative!! Elections have consequences! May God have mercy on the United States of America!

5. Alfred

It seems to me that some people are under the false impression that church groups will be forced to allow homosexual marriage. Why would that be?

I think anyone should be able to set-up a household with an adult & receive the same benefits as married couples. Friends, roommates, siblings, parents & sons or daughters run households together all the time. Let's expand the benefits to all. Why should "in love" be a legal standard? Marriage under the law is a throwback to the time of unity of church & state under the monarch. It was probably needed into the 20th century to protect women & children from abandonment, but now we have safeguards

6. Paul G

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
    2 Chronicles 7:14

7. Steve Cooper

Jesus redifined marriage as love between a monogamous man, and woman. Before that pologamy was acceptable. A vote for gay marriage is a vote for pologamy.

Steve

8. Alex

I don't understand it. Gay people have every single right that I have. A gay man can marry a woman just as I can. I have no rights over him. Just as he can't marry a man, neither can I. These people don't want equality, they want entitlements, like every other progressive in this country who wants special treatment.

9. astounded in Oxnard CA

I can promise you one thing! There will NEVER be a gay marriage performed by a Catholic Priest unless it is being done in secret. The body of my Church will NEVER allow it.

10. vance

Thank you again Deacon Fournier for an informative article. A day doesn't go by where Obama and the Marxist Democrat Party show their anti-Christian cards. These sick evil despots have shown us their ugly hand over and over again. Thank you Davide and Mary42 for spot on posts. Davide, your the first person in a long time who brought up the late infamous Cardinal Bernardine. Sadly, the ranks of the Bishops and priests still hold a majority of Cardinal Bernardine's. This is partially why we have the likes of Obama in the White House.