President Obama Orders Justice Department to No Longer Defend Marriage Comments

Fifteen years ago Congress overwhelmingly passed the Defense of Marriage Act. It was signed into law by President Clinton in 1996. On February 23, 2011, President Barack Obama unilaterally ordered the US Justice Department to stop defending marriage. The Attorney General sent a five-page letter simply announcing the President's decision to the Congress. Government has long regulated marriage for the common good and the President's ... Continue Reading

1. Jacky

Rob what you say is true, we as Christians need to lead by example and you're right we haven't for a very long time and now we are paying the price.

2. Emma

Daniel, You say to Davide, "because you are chaste, I cannot believe you to have any sexual inclinations." What exactly do you mean by that?? I'm a chaste, heterosexual female and believe me I DO have sexual inclinations; however, I control them!!!! Is it because you can't control your own that you believe this to be impossible???

3. Grant

@Davide...While I can appreciate your situation (not having gone through it myself), I do believe there is something to be recognized with Daniel's comment. Being a married man, I've sufferred (YES SUFFERED) from repeated self abuse: masturbation. In moments of frustration, anxiety, lonliness, etc..... Knowing full well it to be a sin. My most hated enemy. I finally made the decision to GOD that I would not be chained to this plague anymore, nor would I disgrace my marriage vows. i began Praying to St. joseph for not only the strength NOT to sin,,,, BUT also the help and assistance to AVOID and if necessary TO FIGHT through the temptation....the inclination if you will.......to abuse. His comment does hold merit. to rise above. Sometimes praying for the will to avoid or be released from the constant temptation is a permissible option. I grew tired of succombing to the scourge which had become habit. St. joseph helped me and keeps helping me. Daniel, i did not intend for this comment to be about me, but I had inject a personnel anticdote in order to illustrate the point to Davide. GOD BLESS

4. vance

Robert Klein, you are right on. There is a very important matter that many people need to be aware of. If federal law declares Homosexuals as a "Protected Class", this means that the federal governmenmt "Mandates" that the Homosexuals be accommodated, otherwise, the church will be in violation of federal law. These despots of the Marxist Democrat Party would 'Fine', 'Imprison', and 'Shut down' Churches in a heart beat. We have already wittnessed this from two Marxist Democrat Party State Rep's in the State of Connecticut back in 2008. They submitted legislation that would give State Government authority over church matters and operations. The governor shelved the bill. This gave all who are awake a clear view where this Marxcist Democrat Party is and what they are all about.

5. jazzie

I believe that everyone has a right to his or her own choice. However, that choice must not hurt God above. If God said he created man and woman to be as one. I do not want to change his thinking. I will not change anything that God wants me to know in the bible. God created marriage between a man and a woman. Men then changes everything, creating marriage among themselves. I do not want to judge, but I am sure gay and lesbian people are ending our population very quickly. I believe God created us to be equal but not changing evolution. Most of the time, you do not see male dog and male dog making out. You do not see male lion and male lion making out. You do not see male bird and male birds making out. They search for the opposite sex for God created them to multiply.

6. Rob

Ok, but here's a question. Is the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional? Or is the premise of this article that by virtue of the government no longer defending it, it's deemed unconstitutional? Can Obama make that call alone?

7. justus

I have no time to read this artical but I do know that people today are so confused about the word Marriage. It should not be called Marriage if it is not blessed by GOD. Going against the true meaning of why marriage exists at all. Loving eachother and raising a family and the CONTINUATION of having children and bringing them up in GODs ways is why I think its exsists and will hopefully continue on when man and a woman get married. This is for the continued exsistance of man kind. Same-sex marriages can not produce children and are in a way followers of the flesh. Please read the book of JUDE in your bibles. I guess us Catholics will now have to specify that we have had a "Catholic Marriage" or "Convalidation through the Catholic Church". If you are not married through the Catholic Church you should consider it for GODs blessing and all the graces that come with it. Civil Unions are just that. Call your local church/parish and look into getting it done. I did it eventhough my husband is Methodist and I am a Catholic. He just had to have a valid baptism. GOD bless you all. I will keep marriage and the right to life in my prayers and so should you. :oD

8. Christopher J. England

Marriage is a religious sacrament. As such, it should be hands off as far as government goes. I was going to write more, but I cannot keep it civil.

9. greg

Dear Daniel, I did not see any other posts in this set of posts. Maybe in others, but I am definitively not paying attention to your responses to David, so I am not referring to other posts but rather to this very one.
    If David was writing in a post talking about non-gay related subject and mentioning his inclinations I would be wondering why he wrote what he wrote. In this case I think his post is extraordinary in positive sense. Of course I could be suspicious if I sensed something like Jamie Ward or John Moll, and I am. In case of Davide I see only bright, very bright and sincere response. Is Davide sincere? I don't know but I have no indication he is not. Can I suspect him? I can suspect everyone but then I will not be charitable (and I am very often not, which comes to me only later on and wounds me deeply.)
    God loves you.
    Greg.

10. Everett Mann

So called Christians astound me. And conservatives, if that is what you really believe you are, you too astound me.
    How can Christians create such hate and vitriol?

Conservatives; if you are truly conservative, why do you care what other people do? Either you believe in personal responsibility and individual freedom or you do not? Which is it? I do not care which one you choose but you cannot be for individual freedom in the market place but not in the bedroom. You all want freedom to go to the schools you want, to live where you want, to have twenty junk cars in your yard etc, but you'll be dipped if two loving adults want to marry each other. Will someone please explain the hypocrisy here?

The government has no business in marriage. This site and countless others talk about the Judeo-Christian establishment of marriage. The first amendment says clearly that Congress shall make no law establishing a religion. For the government to enforce a Judeo-Christian belief is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Even Deacon Fournier with his law degree should recognize that. The Feds are not saying to the Catholics and Protestants you must allow all marriage within your walls. Not in the least. They are saying there is no reason why two people cannot enter into a civil contract with one another; if a priest or pastor or minister or whatever wants to participate then they are FREE to do so.