President Obama Orders Justice Department to No Longer Defend Marriage Comments

Fifteen years ago Congress overwhelmingly passed the Defense of Marriage Act. It was signed into law by President Clinton in 1996. On February 23, 2011, President Barack Obama unilaterally ordered the US Justice Department to stop defending marriage. The Attorney General sent a five-page letter simply announcing the President's decision to the Congress. Government has long regulated marriage for the common good and the President's ... Continue Reading

1. vance

Obama is demonstrating what a Despot he is. The President of the United States of America swears to UPHOLD the laws of the nation. He can try to change the laws via legislative action but he CANNOT REFUSE to uphold the laws of the land. This is impeachable. This is a pure Despot to declare what he says is lawful or not lawful. This is the REAL ISSUE of this article.

2. kerina

Well I’m not going to reply to this in my own words but instead share some words of the Lord that may help those who have ‘eyes that can see’. May you be comforted.

“As you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me

Matthew 25:31-46
    31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. 34 Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’
    37 Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? 39 And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’ 40 And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’ 41

Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’ 45 Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’ 46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

3. Davide

Daniel, let me put this as bluntly as I can--I am attracted to dudes. But I do not engage is homosexual sex acts...I never claimed to be born gay--I do claim to have a attraction to men that I can not explain to myself let alone a total stranger. Maybe one day I will be attracted to women--I simply do not know...nor do I sit and have pitty on myself--my cards have been dealt and I am going to play the cards in my hand...this is my lot..I hear crap from gay 'rights' activist all the time--leave your faith and your Christ!!! Um where should I go? What I hear from you is not much better..deny the man that is me..which later would provide a very dangerous solution to my soul. For if I deny I am attracted to men what is to deny that having gay sex is a mortal sin? For then I would place sex as a commodity... You just do not understand a simple thing that I have said and your words to me are misguided and destructive-but whatever--peace

4. Robert

Dear Mary W.

Obama says he will enforce the law but not defend the law. It sounds a good deal like another democratic president debating the word "is" means. I pray that catholics are not bamboozled again by this president in 2012. Those that voted for him the first time said, "oh you have to get past the single issue of abortion" while he increasing funding for abortions during his first four weeks in office. I pray the argument isn't, "you have to get pass the increasing number of abortions and the whole marriage thing." What is next, the government deciding which child lives and dies, oops that is Canada while Obama's czar praises their system. Oh yeah that Obamacare thing.

What is next hate speech crimes against the catholic church for preaching God's word?

5. Mary W.

Can the President of the United States LEGALLY stop federal Law from being enforced?

6. Rob

I understand there are a lot of forces (both of the temporal order and spiritual) at work in trying to destroy marriage. But how do we fight these forces when our own house is so disordered? As we fight on, we fight in a weakened state because our Church is so divided by those who reject Church teachings, by those in the laity who merely warm a pew and by those who are so passive about their faith that they have allowed society to crumble around them. And I think our enemy has really advanced their cause due to the fact we are so divided. We should be the church militant, not the church divided.

7. Tom

I see the me,me,me generation has found this web site when it fits there self satisfying life style. Some people have trouble excepting God for his word, they think he must get into the twenty-first century, how sad.

8. robert matzinger

No surprise here. Obama, since he was elected has been an advocater and supporter of gays, the gay lifestyle, and gay marriage. If he can, he will make gay marriage the exact equivalent, legally and otherwise of natural marriage of a man and and a woman.

There is little evidence that Obama is a Christain. As he states, he worships in private. And although he frequently uses the word "God," how many times have you heard him refer to Christ in his life? Or the Trinity?

9. JeanCatherine

If anyone wants to see Fr. Paul Check of the Courage Apostolate on EWTN go to you tube ewtn:

Thanks Davide.

10. JeanCatherine

Daniel

Davide has explained that he is over at the Courage Apostolate as is his family. That should answer some of your questions. Davide has been very helpful and I have monitored and watched the Courage Apostolate grow. He speaks as they do regarding the subject therefore it is not a problem for me what he is saying here.

If you want to know more check out the Courage Apostolate website.

Also this article by its founder Father John Harvey is very well informed as well:

I think Davide is who he says he is and I dont find his story to be a mole or a plant.

If we as Catholics are hiding behind something then how can we give a good reason or argument of what we believe regarding the care of Same Sex Attraction taught in the Catholic Church?

So far Davide has been very honest about this subject. I have been over to the Courage Apostolate and I have seen a member of my family suffer from transgender problems so I think I can give some lay person thinking here on the subject.

I do stand by the teaching of the Catholic Church in all regard that it has for persons who suffer from this malady.

Im very optimistic that the Catholic Church is going to be right about it in the end.

After all the example I give for this reasoning is the fact that Science believe before DNA that we had more than one set of parents around the world. DNA proved the Church right that we had only one set of parents. I think that science will prove her out on the question of same sex attraction as well.

For example according the Genome Project they stated here some time ago at Catholic News Online through the founder of this project that people with same sex attraction were not born this way. So this has to be a start in the right direction.

God Bless and Im not arguing with anyone here just mentioning some facts so far put out there.

Davide you are welcome here because you are one of us as are all of our Catholic brothers and sisters of same sex attraction. Your dignity as the church teaches is respected.