Fox rejects John 3:16 Super Bowl ad, considers it controversial Comments

There are no preachers or ministers in the ad, no church or even a cross. The ad shows sports fans wondering aloud what the phrase "John 3:16" painted on a football player's eye black could mean, followed by a simple response: look it up. Continue Reading

1. John Grimes

What is out of line here is the Stupid Bowl, all the whoopla surrounding which says volumes about the almost unbelievable gullibility of average Americans. As the ad men know, there is indeed a sucker born every minute...and most of them in North America watch this contrived and pathetic exercise designed to make profit if not sense. This silly ad reminds me of the cute messages sometimes posted outside Protestant (and, more appallingly, some Catholic) churches. What does anyone in his right mind think this Madison Avenue stuff has to do with authentic worship?

2. Wes Lisitza

While the Fox News Channel purports to be "fair and balanced" I don't think that Fox Sports is held to the same standard. Besides, let's not forget that Fox entertainment condones the homosexual agenda with the various storylines shown through popular show "Glee." Aside from that point, I've never liked the whole "John 3:16" that people use at football games. I've always gotten the impression that they were merely to implying that the winning team has God's favor upon them. It's just as easy to put "Jesus Christ is King" or "Jesus Christ is Risen" on a poster and proselytize that way, as opposed to pulling a verse reference that means nothing to Atheists and people who don't know what a Bible is.

Lastly, if Fox gave air time for Christians, doesn't air time deserve to be given to Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Satanists, and etc. I actually commend Fox for staying out of the battle of religions and focusing solely on sports.

3. ronald mendleski

The Fox sports networks decision not to carry this ad was proper and the young football player was out of bounds. This is a football game, a secular game and to try and introduce religion into it is cheapening and making a mockery of religion. Live and act like a Christian will do more good than posting all kinds of signs on your body or what have you.
    I seem to recall that in the early centuries of the church, it was reported that the Romans said of the Christians "see how they love one another"
    NOT, did you see the sign they were wearing on their shirt? It said "John 3, 16!

4. Vic Ram

Religious propaganda does not belong in the SB, there is more appropriate forums for it.

5. Ang

I think the real problem is the fact not enough of us stand up to the close-minded christian cult. I am so sick of being preached to. I don't need your cult to dictate how I should live my life which is excellent. I live a happy and well balanced life, I feel like life is perfect and when I succeed it is because I did it not because some phony "god" influenced my life. If he is so loving why does he cause us such harm. Keep your cult to yourself.

6. Gabriella

Nothing scares us more than the Truth - because it is the only thing that truly matters, the only thing that shows who we truly are - and we will have none of that, eh?

7. Rob

Yup they are different. Sort of like saying I wouldn't have an abortion, but don't think that we should infringe on anyone else's right to do so.

8. Miss Marie

I agree with Ken above on his point that Fox Sports and Fox News are different AND that the blame should fall on a society that has convinced itself to be tolerant and therefore silent on Christian beliefs in the public forum. Sadly, the author is correct that smut and vulgarity appear to be more accepted in public. In an effort to have this commercial passed around and viewed by as many people as possible, please shall this link in as many ways possible. Millions CAN see this ad - it's up to us to share this message. http://lookup316.com/?page_id=141

9. Ken

First, let it be very clear that I thing that Fixed Point's mission/ad is supberb. You should have done a little more research before you just criticized Fox. First of all, the "fair and balanced" network is separate from FoxSports. Moreover, not even the individual behind this ad promotion blames FoxSports. He blames all of us and our culture - this means you. You would do well to search out and listen to his interview on Moody Radio yesterday. Your knee jerk reaction results in your entire piece lacking credibility.

10. JeanCatherine

We should send in a protest to keep it.