Fox rejects John 3:16 Super Bowl ad, considers it controversial Comments

There are no preachers or ministers in the ad, no church or even a cross. The ad shows sports fans wondering aloud what the phrase "John 3:16" painted on a football player's eye black could mean, followed by a simple response: look it up. Continue Reading

1. Jeffrey Caperton

While I would love to see more media advertisement advocating for Christian values (ALL Christian values, not just those select values that promote one's political ideology), and less Victoria's Secrets or beer advertisements, I, too am somewhat dubious about advertising Biblical passages between a beer commercial and a Glee commercial. But what I find significant is that, before the Superbowl, there was a reading of the Declaration of Independence (Which appears to have become a new tradition), yet Fox finds a simple quote from the third chapter of the Gospel According to John controversial. We live in a soicety that reveres secular documents such as the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution as sacred , then we act surprised that we have a secularly dominated society.

2. Tony coffey

The quotation Saint John 3:16 is ambiguous ! God The Father sent God the Son is precise

3. Andie

I saw this ad during the Super Bowl in the greater D.C. area. ???

4. John from Nebraska

I almost think that the "John 3:16" phenomena has been over played on the NFL. It used to be every time a team scored and then kicked the extra point, someone would flash the John 3:16 sign. This went on for years and the effect -eventually- was that it began to annoy people. I haven't seen it in the past 5 years or so. Holding up a sign or running a commercial for God during the Superbowl is almost like saying "Hey don't forget MY brand!" I agree with one poster who said it almost cheapens the verse. Finally, to Marie and Techwreck... please don't criticize people who post here for having divergent ideas. Jesus didn't call us when we were all tidy and church ready. The fact that non-christians come here at all is a success. I am for keeping Catholic Online and open forum that engages in a charitable discussion with all posters. The best evangelism begins love and listening. It's where we all began.

5. Rational

Foxnews is a mouthpiece for the republican party and therefore the conservative right wing agenda. It's more biased than any other networks. Christianity is an archaic belief. A typically conservative viewpoint.
    Kudos to Fox for moving towards the mainstream of humanity and away from the narrow parocial views of a right wing ultra conservative nation. It's about time they grew up and developed a more realistic world view.

6. hartwood

We know not to expect adult news commentary from FOX, no reason to view them except for sports coverage.

7. techwreck

It is sad to see Catholic Online bombarded by comments about the Fox Broadcast network that are not very Catholic and do not value our God-given freedom and our constitutionally protected free speech. Perhaps some secular, anti-Christian group with an agenda is trying to hijack this page.

For the record, Fox is a broadcast network just like CBS, NBC, or ABC, that uses the public airwaves to carry its broadcasts. (Fox News is a cable channel that doesn't use the public airwaves and is provided only by paid subscription.) If we allow the broadcast networks to censor the information they broadcast over the public airwaves, we will receive only the network's point of view which is propaganda. But, free people must have information, not propaganda, in order to remain free.

I hope that Fixed Point will sue over their right to air the ad, and that the suit will reach the Supreme Court where constitutional issues are decided. That will give Fox a forum to explain why they believe an ad about Christianity is offensive, and Fixed Point to explain why the Constitution protects the people's right to see it.

I believe the Court will then decide that the commercial is protected speech under the First Amendment.

8. Marie

Personally, I think we should be showing that we're Christians by the way we live, but if this is a free country of free speech, then that ad has as much right to be aired during the SB as any other. I don't see why that's offensive, but half-naked women and vulgarity are not.

Ang, I have a question for you. If you're sick of being preached at, what are you doing on a Catholic website? I wasn't a Christian for the last 15 years. I'd completely left the Church, though many family and friends were still a part of it. And during that time, I'd hear bits and pieces about Catholicism and Christianity, and Lord knows my mother tried regularly to get me to come back, but short of that, I didn't get too much from the Christians. My focus was directed elsewhere. I definitely never got to the point that I was "sick of being preached at." So if you feel that way, I think perhaps you're putting yourself in the path of Christians, like coming to a Catholic website. And perhaps there's something to that, some reason you're going there. Nothing was wrong with my life either, before I came back, but now it's complete - the way your life feels complete compared to before and after you have your spouse, child, or a good friend. Just something to think about...

9. Maria

Don't you think it would cheapen any Bible verse to squeeze this ad between beer and car commercials?

10. Michael

I doubt that Foxnews would through out this commercail. Just the other day they had a commercial by the Church of Islam asking for viewers to check it out.

Don't think anything else need be said.