Fox rejects John 3:16 Super Bowl ad, considers it controversial Comments

There are no preachers or ministers in the ad, no church or even a cross. The ad shows sports fans wondering aloud what the phrase "John 3:16" painted on a football player's eye black could mean, followed by a simple response: look it up. Continue Reading

1. Eddie in Pittsburgh

Why are certain posters trying to draw distinctions between the Fox network and Fox News? Ultimately, they are both owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.

Fox broadcasting is part of the same media conglomeration that gives you Fox News, where the most popular TV commentator (Mormon Glenn Beck) has repeatedly urged viewers to "run" from any church that emphasizes "social justice" in its church doctrine. Ahem... um, that's Catholics (see paragraph 2426 of your Cathecism titled "Economic and Social Justice").

Fox News is no friend of the Catholic Church, so it should come as no surprise to any informed reader that Fox broadcasting would put the kabosh on the Christian message of faith implied by John 3:16.

Fox and only Fox is to blame for this one.

2. gracey

There is an Elephant in your Church. Do you see it?

3. Andy Holland

Women scantily clad is considered normal on fox, but John 3:16 offensive. Amazing how far down hill this idiotic culture has gone.

4. Rob

Ang, we will pray for you. We are glad that you have such a "perfect" life, but's it's fleeting. Eternity is forever and whether you choose to believe it or not, God loves you, Christ loves you and so do we.

5. Monica

By NOT allowing the ad to run on SB Sunday, FoxNews has certainly created more interest, debate and controversy than if they HAD aired it during the SB game. Think about it.

6. Marie

Maria, I was thinking about what you said and the thought that popped into my head was - did it cheapen Jesus to have him squeezed between prostitutes and tax collectors, the worst people of society at that time? Jesus put himself out there to those who most needed to hear his message. If the only people who hear the message of the Bible are the ones in church, well, you're literally and figuratively preaching to the choir. And that's not to say those of us in church don't need to hear the message, too; we surely do! But so do others. And though I'm not sure the ad is the best medium, at least it would reach a number of people and perhaps work on a few hearts. If the people that created it want to spend their money that way, they should be give the opportunity to do so. Again, that goes back to the whole free speech thing.

7. PhilipEdmund

How awesum would it be to have a totally Catholic commercial during the SB. What a shock it would be...show people getting ready for SB sunday, chips, bear, natchos, excitement...then show them all rush to Mass, walk into the church, the priest is in vestments in front of a full congretation...and then have some kind of witty saying at the end.
    And I enjoy beer and all the other things men love, but I gotta say, the SB commercials are kinda shockingly offensive...its just tooooo much! Little kids are watching that stuff.

8. Maria

Wouldn't it cheapen the Holy Bible to have an ad promoting a tremendously important verse squeezed between beer & car commercials?

9. Marie

Hi John from Nebraska - I certainly wasn't criticizing anyone for posting on here. If you'll reread my comment, I think you'll see I was simply asking the previous poster to think about why she's here. I think it's great that non-Christians come to this site; it gives us a chance to speak to them. And that's all I was doing - sharing my witness of my return to the Church and asking her to think about her reasons for reading news on a Catholic website. God bless...

10. techwreck

John from Neb., I love you and I listened to what you and everyone else had to say. I did not criticize anyone.

My point was about our freedom to be all that God created us to be and comments that expressed support for the censorship of speech that is protected by our Constitution. If we don't speak out (criticize if you prefer) ideas that would give away the freedoms won by the efforts and blood our ancestors, I don't believe we deserve our God-given freedom.