Catholics and the Bible: Is the Bible the Only Source of Christian Beliefs? Comments

Over the last 25 years I've had more debates than I can count with Christians of various denominations. These conversations varied as widely as the perspectives of the different people I debated, but nearly every one eventually included the question: "Where is that in the Bible?" Why "sola scriptura" falls short and misses the mark. Continue Reading

1. Sonja

Loved this. I have found that if one uses the word "history" rather than "Tradition," when speaking to Protestant non-Catholics, they can swallow more easily the truth of why the Bible cannot be the only source of Christian doctrine or contain all its teachings. It's at that point that we can introduce what Tradition is and why it is truth. They don't understand Tradition in the sense that we do. They don't understand MANY of the Church's uses of terms in the ways we do; that is part of why it is so hard to discuss things with them. Really good apologetics.

2. DanW

I've had many opportunities to discuss what Catholics believe about the bible and and the sources of Christian beliefs with non-Catholics. The problem isn't so much the logic of what we believe, or what the Church teaches, or even the skill and knowledge that individual Catholics possess or demonstrate in their presentation of the Catholic faith. Rather, the the problem is that the "bible only" or sola scriptura position has risen to the place of sacrosanct dogma among Protestants, especially among Evangelicals. You likely won't get anywhere arguing the point. There's no listening to reason. Your better off to state what the Church teaches and let it rest, unless you're questioned further. Respect their belief and ask them to respect yours (without retreating into a pluralistic stance).

While there are occasional noteworthy conversions (like that of Francis Beckwith), the folks who are likely to take you to task on Catholic teaching are usually set in their belief. Rather than being just as hard-headed as those who would tell us "if it's not in the Bible, I don't believe it", we should seek to foster understanding and mutual peace. I think there is an assumption, perhaps even a valid criticism out there, that Christians of all denominations tend towards intolerance when it comes to the beliefs of others. I think the true goal of apologetics ought to be for us to prove otherwise.

3. Troy

Not everything is contained in the Bible, as God cannot be contained.

4. J. Rife

Thank you for sharing this highly interesting information. Am I in disagreement with it? At present, yes. However, I am quite interested in reading the Irenaeus text. Maybe I will be more inclined to agree after reading as much. But based on this summarized version of the text, it appears that Irenaeus is going beyond granting "church authority" and is simply one mortal man (though inspired he may be) passing on authority to another mortal man (bishop). Can you see the Protestant in me coming out yet? :)

Regardless, I think the reason Protestants lean so heavily upon what both Protestants and Catholics agree as the inerrant Word of God, is that the "New Testament" isn't a list of "don'ts"... but a list of "do's". It grants freedom and it guides. It clearly connects us to God through Jesus without any mortal conduit.

The blessings of God to you my brothers and sisters and may we be united in the Faith regardless of our doctrines.

5. Bobbyspen

Great article...and if our Protestant family only used the Bible, then why are there so many Christian Bookstores? The Bible is our "go back to verify" book. Reading other material can heighten our awareness, expand our faith, renew our zeal, and fill-in between the lines.

6. Mary42

Thank you very much, Deacon Keith Fournier for this Post. This Article vindicates the response I gave to a very valued friend the other day who informed our Eucharistic Divine Mercy Cenacle Group that : "You Catholics do not read the Bible and you do not even know the Richness of your Catholic Faith". I am sincerely hope your Article will convince my very good friend that my response to her erroneous belief is the truth.

7. Andrew

Glory to Jesus... Honour to Mary.
    I used to be locked up in some of these arguments with our separated brothers:) and i refer them to the Bible that says if every event was to be written in the Bible, the whole world wouldn't contain it. Thanks for the article.