Catholics and the Bible: Is the Bible the Only Source of Christian Beliefs? Comments

Over the last 25 years I've had more debates than I can count with Christians of various denominations. These conversations varied as widely as the perspectives of the different people I debated, but nearly every one eventually included the question: "Where is that in the Bible?" Why "sola scriptura" falls short and misses the mark. Continue Reading

1. osbert

We have grown over the years whether as catholics,protestants or whatever we choose to call ourselves to believe that there is evil and good.All the church teaches is the good.However,some denominations instead of teaching and encouraging members towards good behaviors that will earn them salvation,they are buried in self justification by criticizing teachings of other christians.By their fruits shall we know them.God himself is continually building His church through the work of the holy spirit.Let us follow the voice of the spirit.

2. Rommel

Really now... How will you disprove this then.

Isa 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

Is the Bible the Only Source of Christian Beliefs?

Now you answer that question... Based on the Bible and not based on oral method of teaching or tradition.

Beware the Bible says:

Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Wake up and may God bless you!

3. PhilipEdmund

Please write more on this!

4. Diane

I would have cut to the chase more quickly....Jesus didn't leave the Bible to guide us when He ascended into Heaven...He left us the Church...the Bible came later and was compiled by the Church.
    My favorite question for prods: You depend on the authority of the Catholic Church to have given you the New Testament but you reject that same authority to interpret it....why??? They can never answer and hopefully, it plants seeds in their head....

5. JeanCatherine

J. Rife

I think you miss the point: Ira
    "There is one pre-existing Gospel, then, and two methods by which we receive that Gospel, as has been the consistent teaching of the Catholic Church since its earliest days. In the second century, St. Irenaeus, bishop of Gaul, wrote Against Heresies, which defended the Catholic Faith against the various false teachings of his day"

This is basically why he wrote the document. Also what are you getting at regarding one mortal man passing on: Did not the Apostles pass on the faith unbroken?

Yes please read the document and all the early church Fathers of course. Also you might want to look at works by Scott Hahn and others who were previously Protestant and came into the Catholic Church they may be able to give you some answers as well.

6. Rose

Thank you so much Deacon Fournier for posting this article.My husband is non Catholic and he belongs to a denomination that emphasized faith based on the bible.Anything not stated in the bible according to his church is not True.They critized so much the Catholic church for using tradition,scriptures and history.His church always say" where in the bible" does the Catholic church based that.Now I have something to share him and answers his questions and doubt about the church.And I hope this is an eyeopener for him.Again thank you.

7. Jeffery Caperton

I was born and raised Protestant (Southern Baptist), joining the Catholic Church well into adulthood. Based upon my experience on both sides, I am forced to say that Protestants, in general, are more knowledgeble about the Bible. Part of their teaching as children is to memorize the books of the Bible (Table of contents) and to memorize selected scripture verses (I had Psalm 23 compeletely memorized as a child with certain sections of the Gospel According to Matthew still etched in my memory). However, Bobbyspen said it well above when referring to filling "between the lines", something that, from my experience as a child, is just what the Protestant faith misses. Solomon once noted the whole world could not contain God, so how can a book of 2,000 pages (My New Jerusalem Bible published by Doubleday) contain all of the mysteries of God? But, I think what convinced me to leave the Protestant church was that I saw a lot of people who could quote the Bible, but not so many who really knew what it all meant. A number of them merely wanted to win an argument. Many appeared more concerned with "my salvation", sometimes forgetting, if not ignoring, that which the Bible itself advocated; faith, mercy, charity, and good works (It was no accident that Luther had little regard for the book of James). I appear to be rambling here, but it is as John wrote in the 21st chapter of his Gospel; "There was much else that Jesus did; if it were written down in detail, I do not suppose the world itself would hold all the books that would be written". I believe in the Bible and it is an invaluable reference for me, but I also believe that the Bible gives us only a glimpse of God; that God is so much more. And I applaud those throughout history (Particularly the current Pope) whose lives have revolved around learning more about God, and documenting that search to shed more light for us.

8. troisnyx

To Joe : The reaction needed here is not fear - it is counter-productive. We need the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. If we know that God cannot be contained in a book, and that the CCC and Magisterium help us by a great deal, then we'll have to share it with whosoever debates with us. It's like reading an Act of Parliament for example : the correct way to read one is to read "into the spirit of the Act", as in the how and why. A "literal rule of interpretation" would be not only overly strict, but also illogical and would lead to absurdity. So it is too with the Gospel, but because we do not know the intentions of God, we rely on the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. I'm defending the Bible, CCC and Magisterium put together because given all that is taught, I know that these contain the fullness of the teaching of Jesus Christ.

9. Marcus

I'm posting this article on my facebook page.

10. Joe

Would Peter have gone to Hell if he had been run over and killed by a runaway chariot during his run to investigate the empty tomb?

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:1-6 that THE gospel is believing in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. John chapter 20:8-9 says Peter didn't believe this until after he looked in the tomb.

and he saw and believed. [9] For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead.”

Paul spends a lot of time stressing the resurrection. Peter hardly mentions it. Isn't the resurrection the heart of the gospel? Doesn't Paul say that if a person does not believe HIS gospel he/she is to be cursed? (Galatians)

Good thing Peter didn't get run over. Right?

(Paul says "The" gospel...not a gospel. Not the gospel of the 12. Paul even calls the gosple "HIS" gospel. Should we fear those who teach anything but the death, burial and resurrection as the Gospel as per Paul's words in Galatiens?...even if a man, bishop, or even an angel teaches something else....?)

Joe