Catholic thinkers examine Tea Party movement and Church teaching Comments

CNA spoke about the movement with Dr. Steven Schneck, Director of the Institute for Policy Research & Catholic Studies at the Catholic University of America, and Fr. Robert Sirico, president of the Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Acton Institute. Continue Reading

1. techwreck

"He (Steven Schneck) told CNA that Catholics are called to practice politics based on four aspects: the dignity of the person, the common good rather than private interests, solidarity with our fellow citizens in community, and an understanding of subsidiarity that recognizes the appropriate role of the state and civil society in addressing community needs."

It would be helpful to know who called on Catholics to practice politics this way beside Professor Schneck. Who determined that the "common good" and "private interests" are in contention? If "solidarity with our fellow citizens in community" is a Catholic political value, why are so many "Catholic" progressives in the attack mode?

Just asking.

2. Jim

I'm conflicted about the extension of unemployment benefits. While I certainly sympathize with those who truly need them let me tell you about my own family. I have three sons, one of whom has been on unemployment for nearly a year. He doesn't seem to me to be especially interested in finding a job. The other two are working, but knowing them as I do, if they were getting unemployment, I don't think finding a job would be their first priority.

3. FR.EVANS MOGAKA OTIENO AJ

I like the talk given by the two prsenters, namely Fr.Sirico and Dr.Steven Schnect..
    We, I mean people in the developing world, are used to politicians who promise a lot but do not deliver. Be it the ruling party or the opposition parties, misleading of the masses is very common here.
    That is why I recommend and suggest that Tea Party talk should be read by many in Africa.

4. vance

Ed, "What would Jesus do"? You left-wingers need to get a little more creative because the "What would Jesus do" flap is old and tired. BUUUTT let me try to answer your question. I doubt that Jesus would bankrupt a nation and send 8+ million people on UNEMPLOYMENT.

5. Bulbajer

Vance, okay. Since I am not very good in economics, I can't really argue that Obama's bailouts were a good thing, or that his stimulus package will work. I do know that Bush bailed out various companies too, though he didn't pass a stimulus bill.
    Ed Nestor, most of us already know that the Republican Party can't be trusted, just like the Democratic Party. Each party will stand strong for those issues which get them elected, but will compromise on issues not as important to their electorate - or at least compromise in a way in which the electorate won't notice. Right now I think the debate is, which party is worse? It shouldn't be about that.

6. Ed Nestor

Here one for you Catholic thinkers. The congress and president want to extend the unemployment benefits for the layed of American workers. The GOP wants to extend the tax breaks for the rich. Now as a Catholic what would you support. What would Jesus do. Jesus loved the poor. What kind of Catholic would support not helping people starving without jobs. What is your answer thinkers rich or the poor. If you choose the rich you better get your Bible out and start reading. Matt 149:23

7. John D

We're getting off track here. The single most important thing for us to do as Catholics is to embrace those candidates, whoever they may be, that defend life. Why? Because with falling birth rates around the world we face a coming crisis never before seen by humanity. Rampant abortion and readily available contraceptives have pushed birth rates so low in Europe that the current native population levels cannot be sustained. The same is true on Japan and South Korea. The USA is not far behind. Life and family issues are the single most important items, because if we don't have them, nothing else will matter. http://www.demographicwinter.com/index.html and http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=25723

8. Nino Baldino

John,Sorry about my sentence structure.I am a child of Italian immigrants and english was a second language for me in kindergarten. I also had to go to the local public school which hated we foreigners with a passion.Later tho ,after my letter complimenting a local African American Pastor who died while on my Postal route was printed in the paper and I earned a hangmans noose over my desk..well,I had to stay at the post office since I was a daddy of 5 children but I attended college evenings for 8 years to earn my ba and ma from Adelphi University.I had no college prep courses in high school,so I had to teach myself,chemistry,physics,etc etc in order to pass those classes..Yes as Teddy Roosevelt warned: " both parties are controlled by the corporatlions and thus our party is a real choice for the American people,for they comprise an invisible government etc" nothing has changed since 1912..when challenges arise from we ,the great unwashed..we are insulted,lampooned and scolded for leaving our place in line...go figure......

9. Ted

As posted by Kathy above - - - in April 2010, the Tea Party voted on a "Contract FROM America". Many issues were voted on, and the TOP 10 made the list as follows. Thus created the PRIORITIZED list. - - - - 1) Protect the Constitution; 2) Reject Cap & Trade; 3) Demand a Balanced Budget; 4) Enact Fundamental Tax Reform; 5) Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government in Washington; 6) End Runaway Government Spending; 7) Defund, Repeal & Replace Government-run Health Care; 8) Pass an 'All-of-the-Above' Energy Policy; 9) Stop the Pork; 10) Stop the Tax Hikes. None of these are in conflict with the "CCC 2nd Ed".

10. vance

Bulbajer, I'm glad you asked. The general concensus among those who participated with Tea Party rallies is that the 'Bail-outs' are the bone of contention. The general feeling is that General Motors, Wall Street firms, Freddie and Fannie should have been allowed to file bankrupcy and restructure their organizations. We all know that Obama bailed out General Motors to save the UAW who bankroll Democrat Party campaigns and get out the vote. We know that Obama bailed out Wall Street ( Goldman Sachs) because they contributed a $1,000,000 to his presidential campaign while donating $358,000 to the Republicans. This is only part of the equation. The trillion dollar 'Stimulus' lie and the trillion dollars national socialist Obamacare was the straw that broke the camel's back. As a result you have the people rising up in protest.