Catholic thinkers examine Tea Party movement and Church teaching Comments

CNA spoke about the movement with Dr. Steven Schneck, Director of the Institute for Policy Research & Catholic Studies at the Catholic University of America, and Fr. Robert Sirico, president of the Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Acton Institute. Continue Reading

1. Ed Nestor

Alex I guess like most Catholics you have never read the Bible. Matt :23. Jesus said quote " It's easier for a camel to go though the eye of a needle than a rich man to get to heaven. Now Alex that dosen't mean all but get the message, Jesus is God and what he says goes, not the Church or GOP. Jesus said to the rich have your fun on earth because after life won't be so much fun. Read the story of Lazarus Luke 16: 19-31.

2. Bulbajer

Vance, good point. I doubt people around Jesus' time could imagine anything like capitalism. Capitalism and the free market do many good things; I do not deny that. Too much regulation of the market can cause major setbacks and can corrupt the government with power. However, I think a substantial amount of government intervention, especially in the area of worker safety, environmental protection, and competition, helps keep big business in check. We need to remind big business that profit can not be placed above certain morals, and that the best function a company can serve is to support its community. A few big businesses realize this. Most donate money to various causes to promote itself publically, if they donate at all.

3. Rob

vance, I don't think anyone has any problem with a free market. But I would question just how free it is anymore. It seems like the cards are really stacked against the middle class. The personal wealth of the upper tier continues to grow unabated while everyone else's either remains flat or continues to stagnate. I agree that poor people do not hire, but over the last few decades we've seen a system develop where those who own the vast majority of the assets of this nation are able to grow their wealth unabated. And worse we've now entered an era where this same class isn't even expected to bear the results of loss, those are shifted to you and I. And sadly these actions have been embraced by both D's and R's. I have no question with people earning what they are worth and becoming filthly rich. But we shouldn't stack the deck (fiscal policy, tax policy etc) in any classes favor. These days individuals are paying higher effective tax rates than the richest citizens and corporations. Something is dreadfully wrong with that. And if the expectation is that we extend these breaks to the upper tier with the expectation that they trickle down, it's high time to ensure that happens. But as I look across the country and see how many American's are suffering yet record corporate profits continue to be posted, I can't help but think that something is terribly wrong. I'm not against capitalism, free markets etc, but we do need to address fairness in our system. It's almost becoming a matter of justice.

4. vance

Bulbajer, Question;; Have you or anyone you know were ever hired by a poor person?? I was poor at different times in my life and I can assure you that I was lucky enough to pay rent, eat, and put gas in my car. Hire someone to do a job? Absolutely not. Now who hires people for jobs??? YES, rich people of course! Who pays people a salary that affords a person to buy a house, a car, recreation vehicles, Apple Ipads, etc. etc.??? Right Again! Big Corporations. Now maybe you do not want to work for an EVIL Big Corporation BUT go into business for yourself. How are poor people going to support your business? I will cede the point to you if you say a California poor person could do some of the things I listed. The Calif poor use their welfare cards to have fun in Las Vegas gambling. It is a shame that you are against a 'Free Market" country that created Oprah Winfrey and Steve Jobs. I don't know how many people they employ but they must have some folks assembling their products.

5. Nobody

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought it was President Bush who bailed out the banks, though both McCain and Obama upported it .
    The Tea Party includes many sincere individuals who oppose the erosion of individual rights and growth of government power as exemplified by the Patriot Act. However, many of its events are funded by big corporations and private companies who want to do away with all protections for workers and the environment.

6. Bulbajer

I don't think Jesus hated the rich. I think he hated the fact that rich people are rich, and that that status doesn't change. In other words, they aren't doing positive things with their money, at least most of them.

7. Pam

I had a hard time reading through both this article and the comments.... In any case, I am neither all for Tea Party, nor for Republicans, nor Democrats. I do like what I've heard from and/or about many of the newly elected members of Congress--They seem more solidly aligned with Christian-motivating principles--which is what matters most to me. (Many of our founding Fathers iterated similar principles underlying our Founding Documents.) It seems to me that we need to get back to the Principle of Subsidiarity as much as we can because government (bureaucracy) doesn't love--people do. Consequently, socialism is not the best form of government to promote--as some would today. Among a few other things, government is obligated to protect its citizens from physical harm and patriotism is a natural virtue on the "list" of responsibilties we all have. But I believe that what we most need today has it roots in the "family." Here is where our future as a nation is determined; here is where all the virtues (who has heard this word these days--and for quite some time?) that support our most basic God-given unalienable right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" must be instilled--and supported in our schools. Sadly, in the family and in our schools is where we see incalcuble "losses" that have been sustained over quite a few years now; they are reflected in all the social ills we see today. (Things just don't work right for long when we try to live "as if God does not exist!")

8. Alex

Wow Jesus hated the rich? That's news to me!

9. Ted

Ed N. - the Democratic drivel which tries to divide this country based upon those who have the ability to produce jobs vs those who need or want to work is passe. We all need to work together rather than allow a Political Party to continue to divide this Country, just so they can stay in power. They clearly do not want "solidarity". Their power depends upon division whether economic, racial, religious, etc. Regarding unemployment benefits - did you know that some of these people have money in savings, retirement accounts, etc - and are not required to tap into them prior to receiving "extended" benefits? - Check it out.

10. John D

Ed Nestor, I don't think I would categorize unemployed Americans as "starving". That seems a bit melodramatic. There have actually been studies showing people tend find jobs when the unemployment benefits run out. Read about a case of it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/business/global/17denmark.html. It seems that continually extending unemployment benefits may indeed discourage job seeking. Ed, if you were in charge, how long would you like unemployment benefits to last? Three years? Four years? More? Eventually you have to draw a line. Beyond which there are faith based organizations to help people. The problem with socialism is that you always run out of other people's money.