Opinion: Leaders or Scoundrels? 2010 Election Could Change Everything Comments

It's appalling that so many men and women without honor are rising to positions of consequence. What has happened to honor? Give me a man who would rather die than behave dishonorably. Give me a woman who will not degrade herself or spill her own child's blood. Give me a leader who inspires by virtue of his character and actions.  Give me a leader who serves. I still believe there are men and women with honor out there and they ... Continue Reading

1. Jeffrey Caperton

Ms. Hartine,

From what I have seen on your blog, I find you an honest Christian despite the fact that we probably differ on a number of political issues. For the most part, I ignore the fact that this article is not objectively written as Sarah Palin’s rhetoric is equally as smug and condescending as your view of President Obama’s rhetoric. But, I find your observation about Democratic rhetoric, “Anyone not voting for Democrats next week is accused of being "scared" and somehow giving in to fear instead of facts”, the skillet calling the kettle black. Most of the conservative rhetoric that I have read at Catholic Online over the course of this election season regarding liberal Democrats (I am one of them) says that I am a Marxist (That indictment, by definition, precludes even the remotest possibility that I am a Christian), that I am pro-death, that I am “out of touch”, an “elitist” (I come from a working class family in a working class small town), and a whole number of other adjectives that are not very flattering (While I have tried to remain above the fray, the truth is that I have taken some of the rhetoric rather personally). My purpose here is not to defend my politics as I feel my politics are just as Christian, “American”, pro-life, … ad nauseam as any conservative Republican. My purpose is to point out that we, as Christians, have become so embroiled in vicious partisan politics that we have forgotten the most basic forms of charity, forgiveness, and even simple civility, each of which comprises some of the most fundamental behavior we would expect to see in a Christian. Politics is the realm of the ruthless and has been since politics first appeared in “civilization” and we as Christians would do well to pray for the political environment and try to remain above the fray as much as possible, just to set an example, if nothing else. Whether the next Congress is controlled by Democrats or Republicans, I can assure you that their objective is not a just society; it is to blame each other for the presence of an unjust society. I promise you that, at this moment, neither Barrack Obama nor Sarah Palin are the least bit concerned about creating a Christian society. When you look past the rhetoric and the name-calling, our goals are not that different; we mostly differ on how to get there. Therefore, if we, as Christians really want a Christian society, it is up to us to “roll up our sleeves” and do the work and a good place to start would be to be fair and civil, not to mention charitable, with one another.

2. Everett Mann

LDC and others who hold your view; You need to learn your Catholic History. Catholics were NOT welcomed here. It mattered not whether you came through Ellis Island or crossed the Arizona Desert. Catholics were not allowed to hold public office and were prohibited from holding many jobs. That Catholics have been elected to office and can hold any job is a true testament to the struggle our ancestors fought. To now say to someone 'no you cannot come here' would be to slap our ancestors in the face. I am not going to do that and I will carry my ancestors' fight.

Rob is correct. We need to live our Catholic Faith. Our Catholic Faith permits us to 'give unto Rome that which is Rome's, Give unto God that which is God's' and nothing more.

3. vance

Jennifer, excellent article. Your questions and points are well articulated. This again goes back to our USCCB and the Catholic Clergy. Until they stand up for the sanctity of life and the Holy Sacrament of Marriage, we as a Catholic voting block will remain scattered. Sadly, the American Catholic Bishops and clergy are so infested by Liberal activists that they are in the 'Back Pocket' of Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Obama, etc. etc. 50% of the Catholic Church will vote Liberal Abortion and euthanasia fanatics, pushers of homosexual marriage, socialist health care with 'Death Panels', and the highest income tax hike on ALL Americans This is the Democrat Party. Of course, Grimes is salivating at making this choice.

4. Andy Holland

Excellent article. So, you want a lead who is honorable, who is charitable, who is wise, who is humble, who is intelligent? You have him - of course it depends on what your definition of "is" is. Sort of goes with "what is truth."

5. Elisa

There are candidates on our state ballot are running (yet again) for office, a few have been in for awhile and probably will be re-elected with little challenge. Unfortuantely some of them have paid attention to pro-life values when it's convenient or to look good.

6. Rob

Sadly we cannot count on either party to faithfully represent Catholics. We have a pro-death party (Dems) and a pro status-quo party (GOP). I am not convinced that either party cares one bit about the social issues of the day other than using them as wedge issues to trick voters. While there may be a few honesty men and women serving, there aren't enough of them to drive a platform and sadly their voices are silenced when the actual legislating begins. I guess all we can do is throw them out everytime an election comes around. We'll throw out the Dems this cycle and throw out the GOP in the next. I guess you win so long as you are the "other guy." Just sad.

I am through hoping that our politicians are ever going to do anything about pro-life issues. It's time for us as Catholic's to step up and start living our faith. Given the numbers of Catholic's out there, if we focused as much energy in spreading the faith as we do in politics, we would be a force to be recokened with. But because most parishoners don't have a clue, we've become sort of a joke. It's really sad.

7. NADIRSHAW DHONDY

THIS IS ONE OF THE FINEST ARTICLES WRITTEN FOR OUR TIMES ITS APPLICABILITY TO INDIA'S POLITICAL SCENE CANNOT BE OVERSTRESSED. IT MUST BE ACTIONED BY THE MASS MEDIA IF DEMOCRACY IS TO SURVIVE FROM THE PERILS OF DEMOBCRACY
    I ON MY PART AM CONTRIBUTING MY TWO BIT FOR ITS MASS CIRCULATION NOT ONLY TO THE INTELLEGESIA BUT ALSO TO THE HONEST, AND HUMBLE 0F HEART
    IF THIS CAN HAPPEN IN THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL DEMOCRACY AMERICA THAN WHERE WILL INDIA STAND
    I AM REMINDED OF AN IDIOM " IF GOLD WILL RUST WHAT WILL IRON DO "

8. techwreck

Jennifer, Thanks. It needed to be said.

John Grimes, Thanks for your nonsensical insinuation that this column was written to "poison our minds in the direction of Sarah Palin" instead of decrying the lack of legitimate leadership that this country so badly needs. The politicians of both parties are midgets when compared to the men and women who founded this country.

9. ldc

I did not get to finish reading the article so I forward it to my e-mail, I do want to finish reading...but then I scope down and see that there was a comment...I read it,
    it really did not make any sense only the last few lines..."....see no reason to jump from the frying pan into the blaze below."....
    I did not know how to take it so I will just add to that...I rather get off from what we have now, and get new fresh American Loving Citizens and if they do not LISTEN to us, then we will get them "OUT" again...we are now into POLITICS forever...I remember when I was a kid my father used to tell me not to talk about politics that only "the worst" gets into it...my answer to my Dad always was the same..."Well if we don't talk about it and just let the WORST get into it, then we cannot complain about it and take all the "garbage" they hand out"...I was a teen at that time, have always love Politics and each year more...and now I am ANGRY, you see I was not born here, I am a Naturalized Citizen (had to wait & was told that I had to carry my I.D. Citizenship Card w/me at all times) ....I did not need to come to this great Country my parents got a divorce and it was ugly...I was 11 yrs, I will be 74 in Feb. 11th...love my country w/a passion....I SAY CLOSE THE BORDER "NOW", SEND ALL THAT HAVE BROKEN THE LAW BACK, BRING OUR GUYS & GALS HOME TO PROTECT ALL THE BORDERS OF THE U.S.A., THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO LEARN...do you hear the so call Good Muslims speak up against the Terrorists??...I don't !! Israel is our only friend on the other side of the world...

10. PatrickG

Wow. This really hit home this morning. Thanks!