Opinion: Leaders or Scoundrels? 2010 Election Could Change Everything Comments

It's appalling that so many men and women without honor are rising to positions of consequence. What has happened to honor? Give me a man who would rather die than behave dishonorably. Give me a woman who will not degrade herself or spill her own child's blood. Give me a leader who inspires by virtue of his character and actions.  Give me a leader who serves. I still believe there are men and women with honor out there and they ... Continue Reading

1. vance

Rob, in one of your comments, you illuded to the idea that Republicans talk a Pro-Life line but do nothing. I just want to remind you that back in 1995 the Republican controlled congress passed a law banning partial birth abortion. If you remember, it was fought tooth and nail by the Clinton Admin and the Democrat Party. You might remember that there were a number of states that were controlled by Republicans that passed ant-abortion laws. The Terri Schiavo case in 2005 came down to Republicans stating she has a right to live while the Democrat Party insisted that she die. Pres Bush gave an executive order to defund abortions WHILE Obama reinstated the funds for abortion. The Republicans have been very active against the Death Culture.

2. Celine Perera

Well said Jennifer & that goes not only to the USA but worldwide. We need good leader not puppets on a string. Unfortunately, that's what's happening today in this world. We need to pray for love, peace & justice.

3. Anne

Rob, I vote as close as I can get to the "CCC 2nd Ed". Each Party chooses their own paths, and the rest of us must determine good vs evil based upon those paths. Sometimes I can vote for a good candidate, sometimes the lessor of the evils. Lack of action is not the same as promoting an evil. The Dems - Pres, Senate & House are promoters of baby killing in doing away with the Hyde Amendment and taking tax dollars for abortions in the US, at the UN and as requirements of foreign aide to poor Countries. Follow the statement of Pope Benedict: - " It would be completely false and illusory to defend, political, economic or social rights which do not comprehend a vigorous defense of the right to life from conception to natural end. When it comes to defending the weakest, who is more defenseless than an unborn child or a patient in a vegetative or comatose state? " The Obama/Hillary duo are very damaging to respect for life in this Country.

4. Rob

Well said Jennifer. I wish our president would man up already. It's unfortunate that the administration has chosen to engage in the political fight in congress. Our entire house and senate is a joke. And he had a chance and still does to rise above it. And if he did, it would only go further to show all the games that have been played since he took office.

5. Jennifer Hartline

Jeffrey, I appreciate your kind words. I don't mind energetic discussion, even disagreement. As far as this article goes, if it seems to you I singled out the Dems and Obama, it's because he's the one in the White House right now. He's the one with the Presidential seal on his podium everywhere he goes. He promised to be the great Uniter, the post-partisan President, and his words and actions have been precisely the opposite. In the last week, he's publicly called the Republicans the "enemy." Rather than appealing to Americans, he singles out specific groups like Latinos and African-Americans; he portrays the Republicans as stupid and tells them to take a back seat. It's smug and condescending and it's beneath the Office. It may not be beneath him, but it's beneath the Office. Just a few of the reasons why I do not consider him a leader in any capacity. I'm not suggesting the GOP is full of saints and angels. I'm only saying I'm praying for a genuine leader; for many genuine leaders to fill Congress (and the White House in 2 years). Bless you, Jeffrey. May God have mercy on our country.

6. Rob

Anne, I would also contend that the lack of action on the part of the GOP is an approval of the dems platform. Nothing is changing in regards to abortion in this country. Given the lack of congressional action regarding abortion, I am beginning to think that there is not much difference between supporting abortion in your platform and failing to legislate when you have the power to do so. And quite honestly, I am begginning to think that the latter is worse. But regardless, they both have the same ends, abortion remains. But if all we are going to do as Republicans is point our finger at the other guy and do nothing legislatively, then I'm not sure what reasons I would have to continue to vote for the GOP. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot of difference these days.

7. Jeffrey Caperton

Ms. Hartline,

Before I dust myself off from the fray that has been "Opinion: Leaders or Scoundrels? 2010 Election Could Change Everything", I wish to address something to you directly. As I have mentioned, we will probably differ on a lot of issues politically, but that does not make you, or me for that matter, any less Christian; it merely means that, while our goals are not that different, we do differ, sometimes sharply, on how to achieve those goals. What I wish to address is that I think that there have been a few statements in this forum directed at you that were, in my estimation, unfair. While I make it a point to be as fair as possible regardless of just how much I may differ in opinion, there will be times that I may say or write something that sounded more fair in my mind than in the mind of others. If that happened in this forum, I ask pardon and wish you peace. And I pray that, regardless of the outcome on Tuesday, we can sheath our swords and actually discuss and solve our problems, which are many, in a civil, Christian manner, recognizing that while we may not have all of the answers, God does. May He direct our minds and our hearts.

8. Ed

What is more EVIL than - you must allow the killing of babies or we will not give you money for food and medical supplies? ! ! This is the Obama/Clinton policy at the UN, and withholding foreign aid to poor Countries who will not submit to abortion demands. - Truly the ugly Americans.

9. Anne

Sarah Palin appears to have always been pro-life. This is evidenced by the birth of her known to be handicapped baby, and the birth of her young daughter's baby. She in no way compares to Obama-ites 1.3M abortions in just the USA in 2009 - not including his funding promoting of abortion at the UN and in foreign aid. - - - - - - - - -Rob, none of us should be tied to a Party. There are good and bad in both parties, unfortunately the Dems have had abortion as part of their Party platform for several years. Prayer is critical - - - - - - - - Jeffery, "none of the above" is something my husband and I have been wanting for years. There are some good candidates in 2010. In CA search the internet for "CALIFORNIA PROLIFE COUNCIL" - they published an excellent Voters Guide. - - - - - - - - Some you will be Voting for because they are good candidates, others will be the lessor of the evils. - - - - - - We are all required to VOTE. See CCC 2240 which states we are morally obligated to VOTE. - - - - - - - - - In closing Pope Benedict's words are significantly more important than mine. Pope Benedict - - " It would be completely false and illusory to defend, political, economic or social rights which do not comprehend a vigorous defense of the right to life from conception to natural end. When it comes to defending the weakest, who is more defenseless than an unborn child or a patient in a vegetative or comatose state? "

10. Jeffrey Caperton

Anne,

I will quote myself on this one.

"Whether the next Congress is controlled by Democrats or Republicans, I can assure you that their objective is not a just society; it is to blame each other for the presence of an unjust society. I promise you that, at this moment, neither Barrack Obama nor Sarah Palin are the least bit concerned about creating a Christian society."

In other words, it really does not matter who wins this election, neither side really cares about right or wrong; only the accumulation of power, which is why I have argued for years that expecting political action to build a just society is misplaced confidence.

Just in passing, another thing I have argued against over the years is attempting to pass our personal political convictions and prejudices off as religious dogma. Just as you can scour the Catechism of the Catholic Church for a few phrases or words to support your reasons for voting Republican, I can scour the Bible, Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and pastoral letters issued by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops for phrases and words to support me voting otherwise. But as to making my personal politics (Actually my personal politics are more of a lack thereof) religious dogma, I choose not to be presumptuous.

However, how I choose to vote or the rationale that I use to determine my vote is irrelevant to this forum; I neither advocate voting Republican nor voting Democrat (I rather wish California had a "None of the above" choice). My sole response to Ms. Hartline was that if we are going to chastise President Obama and the Democratic party for reprehensible behavior and rhetoric that is smug, condescending, and insulting, we need to be fair and chastise all politicians, even the Republican Party who have been equally as reprehensible, smug, condescending and insulting. I also mentioned the general incivility that has permeated this election season, with both sides of the aisle equally guilty, with Christians among them. I did, however, advocate Christians remaining above the fray as much as possible and praying that civil, Christian charity find its way into the political environment, and environment that is currently the realm of the ruthless. I still advocate prayer.